[MAWM] A.M's Ambitious "One-Track" Album Project
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Quarterly Album Writing Month (QAWM) IDMf's Quarterly Album Writing Month project. Find all things QAWM related PLUS members own QAWM music!

Old 12-05-2014, 09:44 PM   #1
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 173660
Thanked 3,473 Times in 2,595 Posts
[MAWM] A.M's Ambitious "One-Track" Album Project

MAY 2014

(UPDATED 05-25-2014)

Here's my offering for the IDMf QAWM May challenge. As I said from the start, I planned on producing just one track of album length..and that's what I managed to do in the end, resulting in a single track with a total run-time of 55 minutes and 17 seconds.

As I said before, the whole point of this project was to share..with all those interested..the evolution of the album, as it grew and mutated during the course of the month. The end result of all of this is the 4 different stages of the project linked below, which clearly demonstrate how things developed over time.

I also had asked everyone to hold off making any comments until I'd finished the project..and thanks to all of you for doing just that..but feel free to post / say whatever you want, seeing as this is now "done and dusted".

Hope you enjoy what you hear, though I seriously doubt it is be something everyone is going to like.

1st version (Posted: 05-01-2014)

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

IMPORTANT: Heads up that there's nothing worth listening to after the first 7 minutes or so..just the beat after that really.

2nd version
(Posted: 05-12-2014)

3rd version
(Posted: 05-17-2014)

Note to the Interested:
This is very nearly the complete album. It now stands at 55 minutes and 12 seconds..you have been warned. Also, just wanted to point out that this is intended to be played low..just loud enough to hear the lowest sounds in the mix..but you're obviously free to blow your ears off with it..if that's what you want to do. For best effect, listen when you're chilled/stoned/tired or just plain old-fashioned relaxed.

4th version (Posted: 05-25-2014)

This is the final version of the "One-Track" album, which runs to a total of 55 minutes and 17 seconds. As I've said before, it's not meant to be a "banging" track..but more of a chillout affair..so keep this in mind when playing it.

Enjoy

Last edited by A.M; 25-05-2014 at 05:36 PM..

Advertisements

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to A.M
Lug (13-05-2014)
Old 12-05-2014, 10:09 PM   #2
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
Re: [MAWM] A.M's Ambitious "One-Track" Album Project

OK..if you're reading this, then chances are you checked out the 1st version of the track and are still interested in how it's progressing..and, if so, then you'll remember it was about 7 minuted long and then ran on for a further 49 minutes or so..just the same repeating sounds over and over until the end.

As I mentioned the last time, things wouldn't stay as they were in that first version..and the 2nd version demonstrates this point very clearly. In fact, you might even think the second version is a totally different track from the first..but it's not. Granted..gone are the cheesy beats and the melody, only to be replaced with different vocals and a more..dare I say it.."epic" feeling sound in general.

But even as it now stands, this is not how the track will sound at the end of the month. The vocals from the first version will be coming back later..along with the beat (..possibly), as well as totally new elements that I've yet to add. Also, you'll notice the track is now around the 35 minute mark..and not 56 like before. This is due to me cutting the extra padding and posting only the new stuff added.

I guess you can view the first version as a blank canvas that needed to be primed, before the artist could start experimenting with the colors he was going to work with..and now we are at the stage where the artist has a rough outline daubed on that canvas, upon which he will work and bring out and define the subject of his painting. Follow what I'm saying here?

Anyway, that's why I've asked you guys to hold off on any critical comments or advice you might want to give until the end of the month, as it really is a work-in-progress and I need the space to let it grow on it's own..into what it will eventually become..for better or for worse.

That doesn't mean I neither want nor appreciate hearing positive stuff..by all means, if you feel like saying it moves you, then please let me know.

Until next week..

------------------
Old 13-05-2014, 07:50 PM   #3
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8532980
Thanked 6,841 Times in 4,870 Posts

Right on man. Digging it. Really cool watching this process happen. I also end up drastically changing direction sometimes.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
A.M (14-05-2014)
Old 14-05-2014, 01:13 AM   #4
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Right on man. Digging it. Really cool watching this process happen. I also end up drastically changing direction sometimes.
Thanks, dude.

For the record..and perhaps something worth going into a little here..I haven't actually changed direction, even though I know that's how it must seem right now.

Basically, what you hear in the first version is the very first "musical scribble" I got down..based on my mood and thoughts at the time. I'm certainly no Amadeus..stuff doesn't come to me fully formed, though often a completed track does feel like it was whispered into my ear and not mine to take credit for in full, if you follow what I mean.

Anyway, that's the story here..I got down what I knew would fit in with the over-all "feel" of what I wanted the album to be..albeit in a pretty ad hoc manner. What you heard in the first version is, in fact, a part that will come later on in the over-all piece / album, but it was the door into the project for me..merely a starting point.

But, yeah, I get what you mean..I've done that myself before..ended up with a totally different track from the one I started out to produce. Funny how the muse just seems to push you in a certain direction and the flow takes you that way..like it or not.

As for this project..I'll be posting up the 3rd version this coming Friday. By the way, the 2nd one above was uploaded a little later than expected. We have a lot of heavy family stuff happening right now here off line and I'm kind of torn between that and trying to get everything done musically that I want to do. I know all this is totally optional, but this is something I really want to do and it's really more a case of keeping on top of everything..and I can kind of fall down in the department sometimes.

Anyway, the track has changed since I shared it here two days ago on the 12th. It's still around the same length to listen to..but I've done some work on the arrangement side, as well as adding a few new pieces to the mix. It's more of a tighter flow to it now and is starting to take a more defined shape in general. If things continue like this, then I just might get this baby finished on time.

------------------
Thanks to A.M
relic (14-05-2014)
Old 14-05-2014, 11:50 PM   #5
bbb
IDMf Artist
bbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MC
ATX
MC Status: 5743043

Definitely filling out more now. Liking it man.

------------------
Say
bbb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to bbb
A.M (14-05-2014)
Old 14-05-2014, 11:56 PM   #6
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbb View Post
Definitely filling out more now. Liking it man.
Thanks, B..I really appreciate you taking the time to check it out, given the length of the piece in question. Glad you're liking it, too. Hopefully it all work out as planned in the end.

------------------
Old 17-05-2014, 05:31 AM   #7
A.M

OK..the third version of the mix is now linked above..and it's the full album length..just a tad over 55 mins in total. It's nearly there now..just a little tightening up of some of the elements, like applying fade-ins and fade outs to some of the parts, as well as some tweaking of the over-all sound staging..and general mastering. I honestly don't think I'm going to do much more to the mix, aside from polish it up a bit.

My thanks to both Ben (Benwaa), for the use of the synths he recently shared on the forum..as well as my thanks to Jazzyspoon for the sample packs he shared on here..into which I've dipped.

This project has been produced using the following soft synths: Alchemy, Omnisphere, PadShop Pro, Arturia Analog Lab, U-he's Podolski, IL's Autogun, Ben's "STANKER" and "The Mangle" from Sound Guru..as well as the on-board synth and effects that come with the MuLab daw.

My apologies up front if you find this more than a bit repetitive when you listen to it, but I was trying to hit a balance between the over-all pace of the track and how it developed in general. I didn't want it to end up being just a collection of individual tracks cobbled together with some background drone..and, tbh, it probably sounds far more simple than it was to create..but it's been fun and, just like the last time, I've learnt a few things from the doing of it.

Anyway, this is basically it. I'll be posting the final polished version at the end of the month..so I'm not really finished yet..just done with the initial creative side of composing..but the final mixing and mastering has yet to be done.

Hope you guys give it a listen in it's entirety when you get the chance..and that it turns out to be as much fun for you to listen to, as it has been for me to produce.

Last edited by A.M; 17-05-2014 at 05:42 AM..

------------------
Thanks to A.M
Jazzyspoon (21-05-2014)
Old 25-05-2014, 06:24 PM   #8
A.M

I've updated the first post above and posted the link to the 4th and final version of the one-track album. That's it..I'm done for this one. I'm sure anyone who listens to the whole 55 minutes and 17 seconds will no doubt have something to say..and I look forward to reading whatever it is you have to say.

Once again, keep in mind this is meant to be a chillout kind of track / album if and when you do check it out. I'm aware the gain is a little low..and that the bass could perhaps be upped a little in general, but I'm happy with the way it turned out, as I got the sound I was going for. In other words..what you hear is as it is meant to be by design..not by mistake or error. If you don't like the sound of it, then that's fine with me.

Advertisements

------------------