Should Techno Be All Hardware in the Studio, Live, Both?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Techno Techno Techno Techno Techno

Go Back » Music By Genre » Techno
Old 08-05-2014, 12:44 AM   #1
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8540830
Thanked 6,998 Times in 4,973 Posts
Should Techno Be All Hardware in the Studio, Live, Both?

edit: basically the whole premis of this thread was dumb and now I'm just embarrassed every time it comes back to life

Last edited by relic; 02-07-2015 at 06:55 PM..

Advertisements

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:01 AM   #2
Str8Jaketed
Str8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MC
GET OFF MY LAWN!
MC Status: 33060
Re: Should Techno Be All Hardware in the Studio, Live, Both?

I would personally like to see a sub genre of techno that is all hardware..Mechanical techno or something to that effect.To show what hardware can truly do..adn also to show where all this electronic music came from ...was born from..

I would also like to see an insurgence of some of the older gear make an entrance into our field again..the classic sounds..

but that is just me..Guess I am one of those where we come from types..

Nice topic Relic..

------------------
“A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”Frank Zappa

“Hell is full of musical amateurs.” -George Bernard Shaw
Str8Jaketed is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Str8Jaketed
relic (08-05-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 04:13 AM   #3
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8Jaketed View Post
I would personally like to see a sub genre of techno that is all hardware..Mechanical techno or something to that effect.To show what hardware can truly do..adn also to show where all this electronic music came from ...was born from..

I would also like to see an insurgence of some of the older gear make an entrance into our field again..the classic sounds..

but that is just me..Guess I am one of those where we come from types..

Nice topic Relic..
Yea. It just feels right to me. Reading the Machine Love series on Resident Advisor has me thinking about this....all these cats still holding on to tmthe hardware method for dance oriented 4x4 music.

------------------
Thanks to relic
Str8Jaketed (08-05-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 04:23 AM   #4
Str8Jaketed
Str8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MC
GET OFF MY LAWN!
MC Status: 33060

I think some of it has to do with it being tangible.Not that VST causes a distance..just that so some odd reason..when you twist a real knob..patch a real cord..slide a real ADSR..you connect..becomes and extension of yourself.

Man reason I have so man damned controllers..even for what I do as a mix engineer..yah the plugs looks awesome on the screen but I feel connected when a twist a knob adn the knobs moves on screen..feels natural to me..could just e due to all years in studios..but its me..I could just be a total loon also..that is always an option..

------------------
“A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”Frank Zappa

“Hell is full of musical amateurs.” -George Bernard Shaw
Str8Jaketed is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Str8Jaketed
relic (08-05-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 04:44 AM   #5
twilitez
twilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 9060

I cant afford it so never gonna happen for me.

------------------
twilitez is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:03 PM   #6
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8Jaketed View Post
I think some of it has to do with it being tangible.Not that VST causes a distance..just that so some odd reason..when you twist a real knob..patch a real cord..slide a real ADSR..you connect..becomes and extension of yourself.

Man reason I have so man damned controllers..even for what I do as a mix engineer..yah the plugs looks awesome on the screen but I feel connected when a twist a knob adn the knobs moves on screen..feels natural to me..could just e due to all years in studios..but its me..I could just be a total loon also..that is always an option..
100% agree...I swear when I am using a mouse there is an extra thought involved...like my brain has to perform three tasks: move the mouse>move the fader>turn the volume down. And I swear something is lost because of the extra step. Even in mixing where it seems it wouldnt matter as much to have that tacticle experience there is a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilitez View Post
On the other hand I am glad making music has become affordable through personal computers. Because that means more m inds can get on this thing and we get to hear those ideas.

------------------
Old 08-05-2014, 01:22 PM   #7
swaddo84
Microknight
swaddo84 is a splendid one to beholdswaddo84 is a splendid one to beholdswaddo84 is a splendid one to beholdswaddo84 is a splendid one to beholdswaddo84 is a splendid one to beholdswaddo84 is a splendid one to beholdswaddo84 is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 760

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilitez View Post
That's the size of it really.

But even if I did, would I buy a 303 and an 808 etc? Doubtful. Space is also an issue.

I'm quite happy just trying to make the music of the future and appreciating music past.
swaddo84 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:43 PM   #8
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269464908
Thanked 2,826 Times in 1,873 Posts

See also how Detroit declined, maybe it's time to move with the times, innovate and try a hybrid setup, not forgetting the hardware assembly lines machines, but innovating them with today's opportunities.

Times have changed and we moved from heavy industry to mostly advanced tertiary and service industry, maybe our music should reflect this change as well?
Shouldn't we aim to reproduce the grind of today's office routine, the anonimity of production as nothing more than a bunch of data in cyberspace?
And what best to use the same machines?

And you know that this is coming from a guy who doesn't get inspired by software.

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 02:15 PM   #9
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automageddon View Post
See also how Detroit declined, maybe it's time to move with the times, innovate and try a hybrid setup, not forgetting the hardware assembly lines machines, but innovating them with today's opportunities.

Times have changed and we moved from heavy industry to mostly advanced tertiary and service industry, maybe our music should reflect this change as well?
Shouldn't we aim to reproduce the grind of today's office routine, the anonimity of production as nothing more than a bunch of data in cyberspace?
And what best to use the same machines?

And you know that this is coming from a guy who doesn't get inspired by software.
That is a really interesting point...who is doing this in music now though? I honestly dont have a good answer of who represents this. The music would still be loop based like Techno? The whole EDM craze is the opposite of this in some regards as it is about image and fun. Or is the idea of grinding out paint by numbers tracks enough to fulfill this?

------------------
Old 08-05-2014, 02:20 PM   #10
Benwaa

Who really cares how it's made really? To me it's about the intention behind it rather than the tools used.
It's more accessible these days is the only difference, at the start of techno there wasn't the software availability that there is these days, and likewise a lot of amazing and inspiring producers/artists would never be able to get their inspirations across not least because of monetary constraints.
Techno was and is always about a unity of people, so it only being true techno if made with machines kind of defeats that whole ethos.
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 02:53 PM   #11
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benwaa View Post
Who really cares how it's made really? To me it's about the intention behind it rather than the tools used.
It's more accessible these days is the only difference, at the start of techno there wasn't the software availability that there is these days, and likewise a lot of amazing and inspiring producers/artists would never be able to get their inspirations across not least because of monetary constraints.
Techno was and is always about a unity of people, so it only being true techno if made with machines kind of defeats that whole ethos.
Yes. I think I have worded things poorly. You are correct in the end it doesnt matter how it is made. And I like the part about the unity of people...which makes me think about what Auto had to say...the personal computer really opened up the culture of Techno to a wider audience in a variety of ways...but there is that whole concept of the screen between us...not that people still dont go to parties...but I think there are people experiencing dance culture from completely behind a screen.

I guess in the end I am just particularly interested in the new relationship the music has with the technology surrounding it...as I always felt Techno (and I suppose dance music in general) has had a special relationship to the technology of the time.

------------------
Old 08-05-2014, 02:55 PM   #12
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744031141
Thanked 7,274 Times in 4,521 Posts

Dunno about unity of people tbh, met some proper harsh wankers at some techno raves over the years, but yeah, we're way past caring. If it's good techno who cares?
Did you hear Triton's No Floors LP? Pretty sure he didn't use any hardware for that and it's really good.

------------------
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 02:57 PM   #13
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Yes. I think I have worded things poorly. You are correct in the end it doesnt matter how it is made. And I like the part about the unity of people...which makes me think about what Auto had to say...the personal computer really opened up the culture of Techno to a wider audience in a variety of ways...but there is that whole concept of the screen between us...not that people still dont go to parties...but I think there are people experiencing dance culture from completely behind a screen.

I guess in the end I am just particularly interested in the new relationship the music has with the technology surrounding it...as I always felt Techno (and I suppose dance music in general) has had a special relationship to the technology of the time.
If you're really into techno and dancing you shouldn't be looking at the dj imo.

------------------
Old 08-05-2014, 03:30 PM   #14
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
If you're really into techno and dancing you shouldn't be looking at the dj imo.
Fair point. And fair points all around

I guess I saw a conversation where there wasnt one ;p

------------------
Old 08-05-2014, 03:30 PM   #15
Benwaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
Dunno about unity of people tbh, met some proper harsh wankers at some techno raves over the years, but yeah, we're way past caring. If it's good techno who cares?
Did you hear Triton's No Floors LP? Pretty sure he didn't use any hardware for that and it's really good.

hehe yeah, there's wankers everywhere. doesn't mean they don't come together in unity too

to be honset, there's a collective up here that like to call themselves "North Wales Techno Crew!!" most of them are so far up their own arses it's just the opposite of what you'd want from a rave when they get their little clique together
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Benwaa
lolirl (08-05-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 06:52 PM   #16
lolirl
Administrator

Isn't it funny that if we were in the states we'd be living relatively close to each other and would probably be going to the same parties, but over here Wales seems like a world away.

Tell them I've never heard of them.

------------------
Old 08-05-2014, 08:58 PM   #17
ab
IDMf Artist
ab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MC
Duesseldorf
MC Status: 46080164
Thanked 1,230 Times in 830 Posts

my kind of techno should be made with hammers, on the skulls of your defeated enemies

i think most of the techno i enjoy can and must be made on raw machinery and as live as possible, with very slow changes over time and at least 10 minutes per track - preferably an endless jam. i need to feel like a goddamn shaman

thats what techno is for me, thats how it started (epic acid orgies on faulty equipment). i dont own much gear nowadays so what i do is prepare some noisy samples, load a ton of them and arrange very basic patterns and then jam for ages

------------------
ab is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to ab
relic (08-05-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 09:54 PM   #18
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab View Post
my kind of techno should be made with hammers, on the skulls of your defeated enemies

i think most of the techno i enjoy can and must be made on raw machinery and as live as possible, with very slow changes over time and at least 10 minutes per track - preferably an endless jam. i need to feel like a goddamn shaman

thats what techno is for me, thats how it started (epic acid orgies on faulty equipment). i dont own much gear nowadays so what i do is prepare some noisy samples, load a ton of them and arrange very basic patterns and then jam for ages
That is kind of the vibe I am feeling at the moment, personally. But that is more so from the musicians standpoint rather than the audience's standpoint. And that isn't to say I wouldn't enjoy say 3 hours of Techno all made on a laptop and mixed with Virtual DJ.

I don't even want it done on expensive vintage gear or boutique gear. More so whatever can be cobbled together, that seems more true to whatever harebrained nonsense my half-burnt-out bulb is cooking up.

------------------
Old 15-05-2014, 03:46 AM   #19
Ttinga
Ttinga is a splendid one to beholdTtinga is a splendid one to beholdTtinga is a splendid one to beholdTtinga is a splendid one to beholdTtinga is a splendid one to beholdTtinga is a splendid one to beholdTtinga is a splendid one to beholdTtinga is a splendid one to behold
Chicago
MC Status: 960

I dunno a lot of the strictly "hardware" techno that I hear is just kind of boring. The same tired sounds used and the arrangement is not nearly as interesting. I'm sure there are some counter examples but that's my impression. I know its cool to throw a bunch of x0x machines through distortion pedals and release it on vinyl but it all sounds a bit samey to me. The people I find doing the most interesting work are usually heavy software users. Techno to me is about the future and embracing new ways of doing things.

------------------
Ttinga is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Ttinga
relic (15-05-2014)
Old 15-05-2014, 04:02 AM   #20
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttinga View Post
I dunno a lot of the strictly "hardware" techno that I hear is just kind of boring. The same tired sounds used and the arrangement is not nearly as interesting. I'm sure there are some counter examples but that's my impression. I know its cool to throw a bunch of x0x machines through distortion pedals and release it on vinyl but it all sounds a bit samey to me. The people I find doing the most interesting work are usually heavy software users. Techno to me is about the future and embracing new ways of doing things.
Yea. Very true. I have been very disappointed about "Live PA" acts in the past...defo heard a lot of long, boring arrangements where it being "live" and "hardware" were supposed to be selling points (excuses/?) for mediocre tracks.

Advertisements

------------------