Getting a new laptop
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 01-16-2014, 06:49 PM   #1
TheIlladelph
Soundscaper
TheIlladelph is a savage MCTheIlladelph is a savage MCTheIlladelph is a savage MCTheIlladelph is a savage MCTheIlladelph is a savage MCTheIlladelph is a savage MCTheIlladelph is a savage MCTheIlladelph is a savage MCTheIlladelph is a savage MCTheIlladelph is a savage MCTheIlladelph is a savage MC
Boulder, CO
MC Status: 236874
Getting a new laptop

So the laptop I've been working with has been a 7 year old sony vaio with only 2 gb ram and a dual core processor

When I run a heavy file in fl studio the CPU can't ever keep up

I'm getting a. We sony vaio laptop and am wondering if an i3 processor with 4gb ram is enough, of should I spend the extra $200 for an i5 with 8 gb ram? I'm on a budget so I would prefer to spend less money but also don't want to run into the same problems

Advertisements

------------------
TheIlladelph is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:14 PM   #2
Nyul
Nyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MC
MC Status: 24960
Re: Getting a new laptop

The i3 and 4 GiB RAM wil already be a huge improvement but the extra cash for an i5 and double RAM might be worth it. It depends on how long you plan to use this laptop, you used your previous one for 7 years, so it might be worth investing a bit more for the next one? 8 GiB RAM and an i5 are definitely more future-proof.

You could also go for the i3 and upgrade the RAM yourself to 8 GiB, might save some cash.
Also consider getting a small SSD (now or later), that's also a huge performance boost.

------------------
Nyul is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:29 PM   #3
TheIlladelph
Soundscaper
TheIlladelph is a savage MCTheIlladelph is a savage MCTheIlladelph is a savage MCTheIlladelph is a savage MCTheIlladelph is a savage MCTheIlladelph is a savage MCTheIlladelph is a savage MCTheIlladelph is a savage MCTheIlladelph is a savage MCTheIlladelph is a savage MCTheIlladelph is a savage MC
Boulder, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inertia View Post
The i3 and 4 GiB RAM wil already be a huge improvement but the extra cash for an i5 and double RAM might be worth it. It depends on how long you plan to use this laptop, you used your previous one for 7 years, so it might be worth investing a bit more for the next one? 8 GiB RAM and an i5 are definitely more future-proof.

You could also go for the i3 and upgrade the RAM yourself to 8 GiB, might save some cash.
Also consider getting a small SSD (now or later), that's also a huge performance boost.
Thanks. I guess that's another thing to consider. This is more of a short term thing.

Maybe I will get the 4gb ram and see how it runs and upgrade to 6-8 if need be. I just hope the i3 will keep up.

Sorry for typos in the original post. That damn autocorrect

------------------
Old 01-16-2014, 07:33 PM   #4
Nyul
Nyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MC

Just keep in mind that the RAM and your hard drive are upgradeable but that you are stuck with the CPU until you buy a new one.

------------------
Old 01-16-2014, 07:38 PM   #5
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 94700
Thanked 1,868 Times in 1,245 Posts

I'd suggest going for the i5 with 8Gigs. Get another long string of use out of your computer.
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:13 PM   #6
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644068
Thanked 4,896 Times in 3,160 Posts

I'd say if it's only another 200.00 get the i5 w/8 gigs. I recently purchased an i5 w/ 6 gigs and it's a massive improvement over what I was previously using.

Like night and day actually.

Also, does it have to be Sony? I'd think you're going to pay an extra 100.00 just for the name on that one.

The one I purchased was an asus and, from what I have read and been told, asus it just as reliable.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to RFJ
TheIlladelph (01-17-2014)
Old 01-16-2014, 08:16 PM   #7
Nyul

I would check specific reviews for reliability, all laptop manufacturers have good and bad (cheap) models.
But yeah, the Vaio-series are a tad more expensive than comparable models from another brand.
(I also have an Asus myself and it's great btw)

------------------
Thanks to Nyul
RFJ (01-16-2014)
Old 01-17-2014, 09:21 AM   #8
TheIlladelph
Soundscaper
Boulder, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
I'd say if it's only another 200.00 get the i5 w/8 gigs. I recently purchased an i5 w/ 6 gigs and it's a massive improvement over what I was previously using.

Like night and day actually.

Also, does it have to be Sony? I'd think you're going to pay an extra 100.00 just for the name on that one.

The one I purchased was an asus and, from what I have read and been told, asus it just as reliable.
Wow I found an asus for $620 with an i5 8gb ram and 1tb hard drive!

Hell yea!

------------------
Old 01-17-2014, 02:09 PM   #9
PhunnkMunk
Granular Poster
PhunnkMunk has a spectacular aura aboutPhunnkMunk has a spectacular aura aboutPhunnkMunk has a spectacular aura about
Bali
MC Status: 210

go as big/powerful as you got the budget for.

I got a i5 macbook with 8GB RAM, and need to be upgrading to i7 soon. even with that, I'm anticipating maxing out.

Apple is unquestionably quality. though, you can get more processing power for you money with a PC, if you're up for that.

either way - the bigger the better. the further you develop your skills, the more EQs and compressors and plugins you're going to be running on everything to get tighter, fatter sounds, and the sooner you're gonna wanna be upgrading again...

------------------
PhunnkMunk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 03:54 PM   #10
KChozen
Minor Glitch
KChozen is a jewel in the roughKChozen is a jewel in the roughKChozen is a jewel in the rough
Los Angeles
MC Status: 260

I've been working off a laptop for the past 3 years (Macbook Pro i7 2.2Ghz, 16 GB RAM, 250G SSD hd, 750G SATA hd)... and its been great!

But my advice to you is if your sessions are quite complex, get a tower. Towers are always better... I run into CPU overload a LOT.. I have to find ways around it like freezing my tracks and resampling tracks out. It really is disruptive when you are in a creative flow.
KChozen is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 03:58 PM   #11
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 25160

Also, try to see if you can get the 4th gen i5. You can actually end up getting one pretty cheap because the graphics on the CPU itself are so good you won't need a graphics card. also you will get a significant boost in battery life. I know there are some good deals out there. Shop around!
mnkvolcno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:55 PM   #12
AlfredHavoc
Analog Lurker
AlfredHavoc is a name known to allAlfredHavoc is a name known to allAlfredHavoc is a name known to allAlfredHavoc is a name known to allAlfredHavoc is a name known to allAlfredHavoc is a name known to all
Phoenix AZ
MC Status: 560

I dont know if its a virus in my computer but it seems i am pushing the limits of my i5 laptop. Reason was crapping out on me but it may have something to do with the stems i was using for my last Remix. The stems were 3.5 minutes long as they were exported full from a complete song. There was also heavy automation and i throw fx and cut low end on most channels and side chain 75% of the channels.
AlfredHavoc is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:24 PM   #13
taylorfrank
Savage Mad Cunt
taylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MC
Denver
MC Status: 20112

Not sure if its just me, but I have a quad core i7 and 8gb of ram, and a semi-solid state HDD and Im still longing for more power....

------------------
taylorfrank is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:42 AM   #14
TheIlladelph
Soundscaper
Boulder, CO

After much research I finally went with this one. Sounds like an amazing deal! I hope I made the right choice.. I will give a review of how it works with FL 11 when it gets here if anyone is interested. I am very happy with the decision to spend an extra $30 for an upgraded processor. I cant wait till it gets here!!

Specs:

Intel Core i7-3537U 2.0GHz
8 GB SO-DIMM
500GB 5400RPM Hard Drive
15.6-Inch Screen
Windows 8

link to product
Amazon.com: ASUS Vivobook V500CA-DB71T 15.6-Inch Touchscreen Laptop: Computers & Accessories Amazon.com: ASUS Vivobook V500CA-DB71T 15.6-Inch Touchscreen Laptop: Computers & Accessories

------------------
Old 01-23-2014, 04:20 AM   #15
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 94700
Thanked 1,868 Times in 1,245 Posts

That's very similar to the laptop I bought, except I don't have a touch screen. The Hard Drive will be your weak point.
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:29 AM   #16
crackmontage
raptor badger
crackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MC
sminap MN
MC Status: 434781

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIlladelph View Post
After much research I finally went with this one. Sounds like an amazing deal! I hope I made the right choice.. I will give a review of how it works with FL 11 when it gets here if anyone is interested. I am very happy with the decision to spend an extra $30 for an upgraded processor. I cant wait till it gets here!!

Specs:

Intel Core i7-3537U 2.0GHz
8 GB SO-DIMM
500GB 5400RPM Hard Drive
15.6-Inch Screen
Windows 8

link to product
Amazon.com: ASUS Vivobook V500CA-DB71T 15.6-Inch Touchscreen Laptop: Computers & Accessories
FYI that is a low voltage, underclocked, dual core i7. my 2nd gen i5 will beat that.
crackmontage is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 01:19 AM   #17
TheIlladelph
Soundscaper
Boulder, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackmontage View Post
FYI that is a low voltage, underclocked, dual core i7. my 2nd gen i5 will beat that.
shit.

well compared to what im running now.. 3 gb ram 225gb drive

I think its a major improvement

------------------
Old 01-24-2014, 01:45 AM   #18
P&P Prod
Regular Freak
P&P Prod is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

I just got a new Mac OS
Intel i7 2.9 Ghz
8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
750 Gb Hard Drive
P&P Prod is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 01:52 AM   #19
crackmontage
raptor badger
crackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MC
sminap MN
MC Status: 434781

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIlladelph View Post
shit.

well compared to what im running now.. 3 gb ram 225gb drive

I think its a major improvement
definitely. for future reference you might want to stay away from ultrabooks. when you get it, run some CPU tests to see if it actually has adequate cooling. if it doesn't, i would consider returning it.
crackmontage is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 05:50 AM   #20
Cylotic
Minor Glitch
Cylotic will become famous soon enoughCylotic will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

Good choice with the i7 8g laptop. Granted the 2ghz CPU could be better, but it'll beat the hell out of what you were working with. Worse comes to worse you could probably upgrade the cpu (if you really needed to) a bit depending on the motherboard's capabilities, it would just be a little pricey. But bottom line, you should be good for awhile with that laptop.

Advertisements

Cylotic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Cylotic
TheIlladelph (01-24-2014)