The Home Gardening/Pix of Your Garden Thread.
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Your Music

IDMf Netlabel

The Studio

Community Center

Music By Genre




Groups

Reply
Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2013, 04:42 PM   #1
relic
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
relic's Avatar
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
Posts: 15,833
MC Status: 8484480
Thanks: 9,084
Thanked 5,871 Times in 4,219 Posts
The Home Gardening/Pix of Your Garden Thread.

Hey IDMf,

I searched for this, but didn't find it...so I'm starting a home gardening thread as I know there are a few of us growing our own food! I hope this is OK with the mods as I know there are a few picture threads already.


I'll start things off...this year we are doing two things bucket gardening:

Code:
Content visible to registered users only.

And Straw Bail gardening:

Code:
Content visible to registered users only.

We are growing carrots and zucchini in the buckets. Then, tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers in the bails.

All of our seeds are heritage varieties. No GMOs. We are using cayenne pepper and garlic mixed in water to discourage bugs and small mammals.

Ooh! We are also growing some awesome sunflowers and decorative sogram (kinda like corn). And we have both regular chives, garlic chives and various mints planted in shady places.

What's in your garden?

Advertisements

relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:45 PM   #2
Cypherclerk
Generate & Test
Cypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MC
Cypherclerk's Avatar
Rectilinear Filigree
Posts: 5,150
MC Status: 53737655
Thanks: 2,174
Thanked 2,321 Times in 1,594 Posts
Re: The Home Gardening/Pix of Your Garden Thread.

Gangsta.

------------------
Cypherclerk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 01:45 AM   #3
GomesR
GomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MC
GomesR's Avatar
Posts: 2,632
MC Status: 64374
Thanks: 1,493
Thanked 1,036 Times in 635 Posts
Re: The Home Gardening/Pix of Your Garden Thread.

revived!

I've been growing a garden every summer for 5 years now. Mostly Tomatoes. I was wondering though, anybody have any tips on garlic and onions? I hear they grow good here in the winter.

------------------
GomesR is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to GomesR
relic (11-10-2015)
Old 11-10-2015, 05:15 AM   #4
Thomas
Savage Mad Cunt
Thomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MC
Thomas's Avatar
South Central Sealand
Posts: 6,836
MC Status: 101158841
Thanks: 277
Thanked 1,321 Times in 986 Posts
Re: The Home Gardening/Pix of Your Garden Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GomesR View Post
revived!

I've been growing a garden every summer for 5 years now. Mostly Tomatoes. I was wondering though, anybody have any tips on garlic and onions? I hear they grow good here in the winter.
Depends on your climate I guess, I dropped some garlic in the black boxes here about a month ago, as they supposedly like frost.

Code:
Content visible to registered users only.
They have already sprouted now, and it's pretty much winter here now - at least ultimo fall. Onion is in the spring here. Made some this this year actually. But we had a shit summer with regards to the veggie garden this year. Heavy lack of sunlight. Mostly because it was in the shade of a willow tree I have yet to cut down.

------------------
Thomas is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 05:20 AM   #5
relic
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
relic's Avatar
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
Posts: 15,833
MC Status: 8484480
Thanks: 9,084
Thanked 5,871 Times in 4,219 Posts
Re: The Home Gardening/Pix of Your Garden Thread.

man...we totally bailed on gardening this year...shit we barely took care of the yard.
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 09:14 PM   #6
GomesR
GomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MC
GomesR's Avatar
Posts: 2,632
MC Status: 64374
Thanks: 1,493
Thanked 1,036 Times in 635 Posts
Re: The Home Gardening/Pix of Your Garden Thread.

We did two Tomato plants for the store just because it is indeed a gardening shop. Sort of amazed it's still putting tomatoes out, and new flowers are popping up weekly. I'll try and get a pic up later, even though it's looking a bit weathered. People comment on them and then I tell them about the expensive fertilizers that we used that we just happen to sell also. Also did some carrots, kale, and a bit of broccoli, basil, all with great results this year. Just had to move the basil indoors. Wow does it grow quickly.

Thomas, great stuff. I heard they liked the frost as well, almost didn't believe it! Was given some Elephant garlic a neighbor had grown and the taste was excellent when I blended it with basil for some noodles with parmesan. Think I'm gonna build a proper box instead of just using 10 and 25 gallon pots. I know I've seen your backyard in a pic before, but once again, that's a nice backyard.

Relic, was it you that had given me a recipe for homemade mustard?

------------------
GomesR is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 10:47 PM   #7
relic
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
relic's Avatar
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
Posts: 15,833
MC Status: 8484480
Thanks: 9,084
Thanked 5,871 Times in 4,219 Posts
Re: The Home Gardening/Pix of Your Garden Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GomesR View Post
We did two Tomato plants for the store just because it is indeed a gardening shop. Sort of amazed it's still putting tomatoes out, and new flowers are popping up weekly. I'll try and get a pic up later, even though it's looking a bit weathered. People comment on them and then I tell them about the expensive fertilizers that we used that we just happen to sell also. Also did some carrots, kale, and a bit of broccoli, basil, all with great results this year. Just had to move the basil indoors. Wow does it grow quickly.

Thomas, great stuff. I heard they liked the frost as well, almost didn't believe it! Was given some Elephant garlic a neighbor had grown and the taste was excellent when I blended it with basil for some noodles with parmesan. Think I'm gonna build a proper box instead of just using 10 and 25 gallon pots. I know I've seen your backyard in a pic before, but once again, that's a nice backyard.

Relic, was it you that had given me a recipe for homemade mustard?
Yea. that was me. We still make and use that mustard! At holiday parties people ask us if we bought it at fancy groceries lol
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
GomesR (11-10-2015)
Old 01-05-2017, 02:42 PM   #8
Thomas
Savage Mad Cunt
Thomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MC
Thomas's Avatar
South Central Sealand
Posts: 6,836
MC Status: 101158841
Thanks: 277
Thanked 1,321 Times in 986 Posts
Re: The Home Gardening/Pix of Your Garden Thread.

That garlic became nada, after nine months in the soil, with frost and everything..

I've expanded a bit on the evergreen sorts.. So while this pic is a few months old, from early autumn or something, then it almost looks the same now, in frost.

Code:
Content visible to registered users only.

------------------
Thomas is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 05:55 PM   #9
relic
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
relic's Avatar
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
Posts: 15,833
MC Status: 8484480
Thanks: 9,084
Thanked 5,871 Times in 4,219 Posts
Re: The Home Gardening/Pix of Your Garden Thread.

First. Great thread necro. Totally forgot about this thread. Second, great picture. We havent planted anything since I started this thread I dont think...local vegatbles are so cheap in the summer it isnt worth the effort. Love living near farm land.
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
lolirl (01-05-2017)
Old 01-05-2017, 07:42 PM   #10
lolirl
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
lolirl's Avatar
Posts: 13,091
MC Status: 743987591
Thanks: 9,583
Thanked 6,403 Times in 4,023 Posts
Re: The Home Gardening/Pix of Your Garden Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
That garlic became nada, after nine months in the soil, with frost and everything..

I've expanded a bit on the evergreen sorts.. So while this pic is a few months old, from early autumn or something, then it almost looks the same now, in frost.

Code:
Content visible to registered users only.
That looks nice Thomas but you have a bit of a random mix of plants that enjoy different conditions in there tbh.
I would advise rethinking those conifers for a start, they will get massive, suck up all the moisture, kill all your heather and eventually swamp whatever the tree with the interesting bark is (beech maybe?).
Similar with the Yew unless you stay well on top of it, although they do grow a lot slower.
Also you could do with giving them all a bit more space.
The Laurels will fill out massively in the next few years, turning from little border shrubs to huge hedges.
Ferns tend to do well in shadier spots.

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by totes antenna View Post
serious part of the forum asshat
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 09:04 PM   #11
Thomas
Savage Mad Cunt
Thomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MC
Thomas's Avatar
South Central Sealand
Posts: 6,836
MC Status: 101158841
Thanks: 277
Thanked 1,321 Times in 986 Posts
Re: The Home Gardening/Pix of Your Garden Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
That looks nice Thomas but you have a bit of a random mix of plants that enjoy different conditions in there tbh.
I would advise rethinking those conifers for a start, they will get massive, suck up all the moisture, kill all your heather and eventually swamp whatever the tree with the interesting bark is (beech maybe?).
Similar with the Yew unless you stay well on top of it, although they do grow a lot slower.
Also you could do with giving them all a bit more space.
The Laurels will fill out massively in the next few years, turning from little border shrubs to huge hedges.
Ferns tend to do well in shadier spots.
Thanks. This is definitely trial/error to some extent, but all of the plants were bought to enjoy a good bit of shade, due to a willow tree you can't see in the pic, and then normal, or normal to sour soil, they are in normal soil. It's not optimal, true. And yea, they will grow in different ways and so on, we hope they will grow slow. If they don't, then they will come to belong to the "error" part. Or just get trimmed a bit.

------------------
Thomas is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Thomas
lolirl (01-05-2017)
Old 01-05-2017, 10:08 PM   #12
GomesR
GomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MC
GomesR's Avatar
Posts: 2,632
MC Status: 64374
Thanks: 1,493
Thanked 1,036 Times in 635 Posts
Re: The Home Gardening/Pix of Your Garden Thread.

I did a few different peppers this last summer, some Anaheims, Jalapeños, some other that didn't have the tags with it, something called an Armenian yard long (?) and some tomatos. The peppers were good but I found the secret to getting some heat going with them was to let them sit on the vine until they get some different hues from red to black going on. Also, not eating them until they've been off the vine for a day. Heat ensues.

That weird cucumber got thrown into the forest, I didn't really care to try it. The tomatoes didn't do that well, had deer sneaking in and sampling them too often. I didn't really have the time to guard from them.

------------------
GomesR is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:12 PM   #13
Thomas
Savage Mad Cunt
Thomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MC
Thomas's Avatar
South Central Sealand
Posts: 6,836
MC Status: 101158841
Thanks: 277
Thanked 1,321 Times in 986 Posts
Re: The Home Gardening/Pix of Your Garden Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GomesR View Post
I did a few different peppers this last summer, some Anaheims, Jalapeños, some other that didn't have the tags with it, something called an Armenian yard long (?) and some tomatos. The peppers were good but I found the secret to getting some heat going with them was to let them sit on the vine until they get some different hues from red to black going on. Also, not eating them until they've been off the vine for a day. Heat ensues.

That weird cucumber got thrown into the forest, I didn't really care to try it. The tomatoes didn't do that well, had deer sneaking in and sampling them too often. I didn't really have the time to guard from them.
I just pictured you guarding your tomatoes from deer with a shotgun.

It was a great image.

------------------
Thomas is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Thomas
GomesR (01-05-2017)
Old 01-05-2017, 10:17 PM   #14
GomesR
GomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MC
GomesR's Avatar
Posts: 2,632
MC Status: 64374
Thanks: 1,493
Thanked 1,036 Times in 635 Posts
Re: The Home Gardening/Pix of Your Garden Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
I just pictured you guarding your tomatoes from deer with a shotgun.

It was a great image.
Lol, my roommate was against it. I told him we could dress it out and eat it. He asked if I knew how to do it and I said "nah, but I could watch on YouTube."

Also had a skunk problem, little shit would wait for the door to open to run in the house, if you screamed at him he'd stomp his foot at you and get ready to spray. Since my roommate was an animal lover, I told him I'd put some meat in a live trap. He asked what I would do after I caught it, I said just forget about it, let nature do its thing. He doesn't want to do that either, whatever. Live on you piece of shit skunk.

------------------
GomesR is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:29 PM   #15
Thomas
Savage Mad Cunt
Thomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MC
Thomas's Avatar
South Central Sealand
Posts: 6,836
MC Status: 101158841
Thanks: 277
Thanked 1,321 Times in 986 Posts
Re: The Home Gardening/Pix of Your Garden Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GomesR View Post
Lol, my roommate was against it. I told him we could dress it out and eat it. He asked if I knew how to do it and I said "nah, but I could watch on YouTube."

Also had a skunk problem, little shit would wait for the door to open to run in the house, if you screamed at him he'd stomp his foot at you and get ready to spray. Since my roommate was an animal lover, I told him I'd put some meat in a live trap. He asked what I would do after I caught it, I said just forget about it, let nature do its thing. He doesn't want to do that either, whatever. Live on you piece of shit skunk.
And now I imagine you catching screaming skunks with live traps, drooling from just having eaten a dressed up deer. Planting more tomatoes enthusiastically.

------------------
Thomas is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Thomas
GomesR (01-05-2017)
Old 01-06-2017, 02:02 AM   #16
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
chasedobson's Avatar
Denver, CO
Posts: 2,928
MC Status: 1520727
Thanks: 882
Thanked 1,650 Times in 1,077 Posts
Re: The Home Gardening/Pix of Your Garden Thread.

dat Colorado life....

Code:
Content visible to registered users only.

Advertisements


------------------
chasedobson is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[electronic] a frozen flower from the garden of hell hellscion Listening Booth 0 11-18-2012 05:10 PM
[No Clue] Garden IllBaron Listening Booth 2 09-19-2012 03:41 AM
[deep house] Eli fanat - home home party idman Members Live Sets 2 08-01-2012 03:43 PM
[TripHop/IDM] Future Lab - From Home to Home SpTk Listening Booth 0 01-23-2012 08:42 PM
T.E.E.D. - Garden (Kami's Pterodactyl Mix) kamijamie Listening Booth 0 11-16-2011 05:03 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:42 PM.


Electronic Music Forums

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.