Why goes GAS seem to go in cycles?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Go Back Ľ The Studio Ľ The Studio
Old 10-12-2017, 10:17 PM   #1
soundmodel
Microknight
soundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant future
Finland
MC Status: 1810
Why does GAS seem to go in cycles?

Why does GAS (gear addiction syndrome) seem to go in cycles?

That is, there are periods where I genuinely believe that I need certain piece of gear in order to make music. Then there are periods when I discover that I can make totally ok music using the stuff that I had before purchasing all the new stuff.

:|

Makes GAS seem like a pretty stupid thing as well as buying stuff beyond basic plug-ins and samples nonsense. I mean, the differences will be somewhat subtle in the end product, even if one used very expensive OTB compared to plug-ins.

For example, rather than purchase a hardware SSL G compressor, I find the Duende version does what I need.

It's mainly just reverbs and modulation (chorus) etc. that I find worthwhile to have as good quality OTB. E.g. the Alesis Quadraverb is often wider and warmer than what I find in plug-ins.

Last edited by soundmodel; 10-12-2017 at 10:26 PM..

Advertisements

------------------
soundmodel is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:34 PM   #2
eesn
Knob Twiddler
eesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond repute
London
MC Status: 4860
Re: Why goes GAS seem to go in cycles?

what patterns are there to your cash flow?
what other stuff is in your life that may correlate with these cycles?
i wouldn't call GAS a stupid thing. Also I think the term GAS is wildly reductive -- to different people it means different things. One's lust after an SSL-G and another's of an RNC, is it the same GAS?
p.s. a real answer might call for too intimate a conversation

------------------
eesn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 01:01 AM   #3
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse
MC Status: 171760
Thanked 3,435 Times in 2,053 Posts

Just watch vids of people being FUCKING ACE using little more than sheer drive and whatever is at hand.
thom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to thom
GomesR (11-12-2017)
Old 11-12-2017, 01:31 AM   #4
TheStumps
Sample Destroyer
TheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond repute
Alaska
MC Status: 7910
Re: Why does GAS seem to go in cycles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundmodel View Post
Why does GAS (gear addiction syndrome) seem to go in cycles?

That is, there are periods where I genuinely believe that I need certain piece of gear in order to make music. Then there are periods when I discover that I can make totally ok music using the stuff that I had before purchasing all the new stuff.

:|

Makes GAS seem like a pretty stupid thing as well as buying stuff beyond basic plug-ins and samples nonsense. I mean, the differences will be somewhat subtle in the end product, even if one used very expensive OTB compared to plug-ins.

For example, rather than purchase a hardware SSL G compressor, I find the Duende version does what I need.

It's mainly just reverbs and modulation (chorus) etc. that I find worthwhile to have as good quality OTB. E.g. the Alesis Quadraverb is often wider and warmer than what I find in plug-ins.
You just described Compulsive Buying Disorder.
A person is emotionally compelled to buy in cycles, where the purchase generates a neurochemical stimulation which is followed by a benign period, which is then followed by a low period of some kind of "guilt" (some form of viewing of the purchase as negative or not needed), and then eventually the desire to buy again and where the refrain from doing so eventually leads to regret over missing great deals or opportunities for the idea of some object - usyally wrapped up in what things can happen or be done with the object, and then rinse/repeat.

Electronics of all kinds are a common target choice for this behavior, and EDM gear probably takes the cake on facilitating the behavior pattern.

So it's cyclical because that's how the human brain works.
Sex drive works the same way, in regards to cycles - not the parts like guilt...guilt is a reaction to a cycle imprented through self-judgement by perception of some ideal in comparison to the self.
However even base functions like food and sex work in satisfaction and loss cycles, compelling people to the action, then satisfying the impulse, followed by a loss sensation and want for it again in some caliber.

It's only a problem if it's not needed, damages the ability of the person to do other things they wish to do, and is a behavior for which they cannot refrain from.

------------------
You, or anyone else, are free to do anything with the music that I make. I consider all of my productions to be public domain. If someone asks, I will give them the source files and any related sample files if they are needed. Music is a dialogue, not a speech. Any listener must be free to become the speaker at any time for the life of the dialogue to be retained. Let us, then, discuss in tone.
TheStumps is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 11:16 PM   #5
mholloway
Master of the LFO
mholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MC
Portland, Oregon, USA
MC Status: 1436359

Also, the cycle probably occurs in some sort of phase with another cycle -- that of your level of musical passion and productivity. E.g. gas hits hardest when you're struggling the most to be productive, not when you're actually getting a lot of work done. Which makes sense, because acquisition of new shit is usually rationalized as "once I have fancy new thing X, then I'll burst into activity and get so much done..."

------------------
mholloway is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 12:23 AM   #6
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 110000
Thanked 2,174 Times in 1,411 Posts

Buying shit produces dopamine.
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Oatbag
relic (20-12-2017)
Old 20-12-2017, 01:11 AM   #7
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 32110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oatbag View Post
Buying shit produces dopamine.
Especially buying mdma
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to jbvdb493
relic (20-12-2017)
Old 20-12-2017, 01:14 AM   #8
Schnork
IDMf Artist
Schnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MC
MC Status: 19910

It probaply self oscillates.

------------------
Schnork is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 01:15 PM   #9
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 62310
Thanked 1,246 Times in 916 Posts

You get a new toy once in a while to have fun with. Blessed are those that can objectively assess need vs utility and base all their purchasing decisions on that. However, behavioral economics has taught us that homo economicus is a mere fiction. None of our purchases are completely rational. And more recently evolutionary psychology has given us better insights into why that is. Emotional utility plays a big role, more so even than objective utility. How we perceive ourselves, how we are perceived by others matters more than anything else and our brains then provide a convincing narrative that is consistent with what we would like either perception to be. Emotions drive our decisions more than rational thinking. You already know youíre going to buy it, but you havenít found a good enough excuse that would convincingly rationalize the purchase, and once that happens, you buy.

Then all those wonderful biases play into assessing the purchase. Itís amazing what goes on when we made a poor decision and realize it. That can lead to cognitive dissonance, when reality doesnít conform to the carefully constructed picture we have created of ourselves. Guilt, buyers remorse, and above all, we post about the devicesís attributes, a picture of it, a track etc. We seek validation to resolve the conflict.
And thatís what places like Gearslutz or Elektronauts are for. Validation and venting.

And so the cycle continues.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 03:36 PM   #10
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse

Yes blame your emotions for all this rationalization, snowflake.

Old 20-12-2017, 03:39 PM   #11
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8560330
Thanked 7,388 Times in 5,223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbvdb493 View Post
Especially buying mdma
You fucking win

But seriously I usually get thr worst GAS when I have ideas for projects but cant get in the studio or around NAMM... therefore I am ignoring NAMM this year...

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
jbvdb493 (20-12-2017)
Old 20-12-2017, 04:07 PM   #12
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
Yes blame your emotions for all this rationalization, snowflake.

Have a look at Jonathan Haidt - The Righteous Mind and Daniel Kahneman - Thinking fast, thinking slow. You might find it educational. Fool.:snob:

------------------

Old 20-12-2017, 04:13 PM   #13
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
Nouvelle Franse

The trollface meant "It is just a bit of fun". Fool.

We all know you are very well educated. It shows in how articulate, well measured you sound in writing. Pardon me for trying to poke fun at it when it looks a bit deliberate.
Old 20-12-2017, 04:30 PM   #14
Metaside
IDMf Artist
Metaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 7810

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
Have a look at Jonathan Haidt - The Righteous Mind and Daniel Kahneman - Thinking fast, thinking slow. You might find it educational. Fool.
"Thinking, fast and slow" by Kahneman is really quite good.

------------------
Metaside is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 05:20 PM   #15
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
Corny

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
The trollface meant "It is just a bit of fun". Fool.

We all know you are very well educated. It shows in how articulate, well measured you sound in writing. Pardon me for trying to poke fun at it when it looks a bit deliberate.
I didnít like to be called a snowflake. Itís just a very loaded term.

------------------

Old 20-12-2017, 05:48 PM   #16
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
Nouvelle Franse

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
I didnít like to be called a snowflake. Itís just a very loaded term.
Fascinating.
Thanks to thom
relic (20-12-2017)
Old 22-12-2017, 01:52 AM   #17
Bipolar Joe
Master of the LFO
Bipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8960

Maybe you're on your period.

------------------
Try a lowpassed square wave, moron.

Also, buy my God damn music, please.
Bipolar Joe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Bipolar Joe
Vault O))) (22-12-2017)
Old 22-12-2017, 02:04 AM   #18
Schnork
IDMf Artist
Schnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MC
MC Status: 19910

Whats going on with snowflakes? Why is it a 'loaded term'? I like snowflakes for their super fast decay on the heater.

------------------
Schnork is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2017, 03:52 AM   #19
Vault O)))
Quarter pounder McCunt
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
Florida
MC Status: 52160
Thanked 1,043 Times in 686 Posts

Snowflakes have a pretty good release time, too

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2017, 12:19 AM   #20
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
NewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MC
Texas
MC Status: 22610

I personally always want new gear, and sometimes make horrible finical choices to get it, but recently I have limited myself to what I have because I realized something.
I realized when I lust after gear I get less music done, and this defeats the point of gear unless I am some sort of collector. I can tell you currently I want a digitakt, rytm mk2, rev 2, pro 2, moog voyager, make noise modules, drumbrute, analog heat, kontrol mk2, and I could go on.

However if I find myself buying a lot of gear I have not made as much music, and I have not mastered that gear. It is not until I chose to stop the lust and master what I have that I am now starting to make music with more character. Once I chose to look at gear like my guitar where I am the one making the sounds and to see that with each piece I am the shiftier and mover my gear lust diminished. I created a rule where I have to space my synth purchases out for at least 6 months before buying a new piece which goes for analog, digital, or vst.

When you learn your synth you become powered up. I've owned many synths as you can see hints of on these forums from the prophet 8 to the sub 37, and mastered only the sub 37 and maschine. Even then I'd say I was only 80 - 70% full capacity on those.

Now with the complex maschines I have such as the matrixbrute I devote more time to it. On my EP coming out this Wednesday people will se change, and I see it by how they respond to my music. I feel changed, and better. I would consider myself an intermediate to lightly advanced synth user.

My advice is to find the bare minimum you need and stick with it. For me it was a very powerful mono, a simple poly that can be complex, but doesn't have to be that complex, and a drum machine or sampler. I say earn your synths through music. No one will know nor will they care what synth you use unless they are into synths and are musicians. Even then a lot of musicians are not synth guys so they don't care.

Create your sound and don't buy it. Remember anyone who owns the same synth as you has the same presets, but it is up to you to use it a different way.

Here is a short list of synths I have owned and am experinced with:
Prophet 8 , prophet 12, ob-6, prophet 6, sub 37, mother 32, blofeld module, minibrute, korg microkorg, minilogue, monologue, ms-20 mini, ms-20 module, electron analog rytm, and the deep mind 12. There are more that could go on that list hardware and vst, but because this post is long and I think you get the point I'll leave it alone.

Advertisements

------------------
NewWorldOrder is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to NewWorldOrder
jbvdb493 (23-12-2017)