Where should I produce?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:04 AM   #1
Type B
Learning The Ropes
Type B is currently spamming hard
Durban
MC Status: 10
Where should I produce?

Hello everyone,

I am stuck in a situation where I don't know where exactly in my house to produce. Let me explain...

I usually produce in my bedroom with a very well spec'ed PC. I use normal computer speakers with a mini sub. I produce on Ableton Live. I have a Mac Laptop with Ableton Live on it as well but it isn't as strong as my PC and doesn't have a large amount of VSTs.

On our property (just outside my front door), we have a fully equipped music studio, used for audio production and recording. Our control room has dual screens as well as runs on a very powerful Mac (with Ableton Live). It is equipped with some of the best speakers I have ever come across as well as a midi keyboard, a 10 channel mixer and my Traktor Kontrol. There is a number of decent software on it as well.

My problems are that I don't know where to produce. Either in my bedroom or the studio. Now it may seem that the studio is the obvious choice but honestly, I am never comfortable in the studio. My bedroom is my "sanctuary" and I feel completely comfortable there when making music. I also find it a mission to go to the studio because I have to unlock 3 doors to get inside. If I want food or want to go take a leak I have to run inside and go do/get it.

What do you think I should do?

Advertisements

Type B is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:24 AM   #2
MeshNation
MeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MC
Edinburgh
MC Status: 129798497
Re: Where should I produce?

You could do all your composing, arranging etc and get the song all finished bar the mixing in your bedroom, where you're comfortable, basically, do the creative stuff there. Then, when it's done, take the audio of the individual tracks across to the studio for mixing, where you can take advantage of good monitors, DA conversion, room acoustics and quality VSTs and outboard.

------------------
MeshNation is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:19 PM   #3
YoMyEX
Eternal Echoer
YoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MC
Miami Beach, FL
MC Status: 4315538

Totally agree with Mesh.

creating/composing/experimenting - bedroom
mixing/listening/technical stuff - studio

------------------
YoMyEX is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:57 PM   #4
Parricide
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC
MC Status: 18024419

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeshNation View Post
You could do all your composing, arranging etc and get the song all finished bar the mixing in your bedroom, where you're comfortable, basically, do the creative stuff there. Then, when it's done, take the audio of the individual tracks across to the studio for mixing, where you can take advantage of good monitors, DA conversion, room acoustics and quality VSTs and outboard.
this is what i was going to say.

you really dont need the great monitoring environment for the writing of the track, and to be honest if youre not comfortable there then it will probably hold you back.
write at home, mix in the studio, its your best option.

------------------
signature loading...
Parricide is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:02 PM   #5
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/\/\
MC Status: 389883256
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,084 Posts

Remember that dog that salivated whenever the bell rang, despite there being no food? Well us humans are the same when we walk into our bedrooms: Our minds go into a mode associated with sleep, dreaming and wicked thoughts. When you create a space in which two completely opposite modes of being (sleep | productive wakefulness ) must co-exist, you're never truly optimal in either of those two states.

The best would be to reserve the bedroom for sleep, relaxation and recovery - and learn to be productive & comfortable in the studio. Learn that your 'creative zone' is not dependant on a particular environment (your bedroom), but on your state of mind. When you realise that - you can be creative in a public toilet, under water, or in a studio.

But, if ^^^that was a fortune cookie, I'd toss it in my soup and ask for another. What a load of b/s .

Last edited by scyn; 11-03-2012 at 02:06 PM..
scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:48 PM   #6
Parricide
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC
MC Status: 18024419

Quote:
Originally Posted by scyn View Post
But, if ^^^that was a fortune cookie, I'd toss it in my soup and ask for another. What a load of b/s .

Advertisements

------------------
signature loading...
Parricide is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote