Nectar Vs Melodyne Vs Auto Tune Vs other
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 20-04-2012, 09:47 AM   #1
Eggyokeo
Microknight
Eggyokeo is just really niceEggyokeo is just really niceEggyokeo is just really niceEggyokeo is just really nice
Some where in the bush
MC Status: 360
Nectar Vs Melodyne Vs Auto Tune Vs other

G'day

I'm after peoples opions on pitch corection software as i'm probley going buy one of them.

So far Im waying up between

Nectar - $300
Melodyne Assistant - $250
Auto Tune Evo - $250

My Needs Are:

Auto Corecting mangaled and repitch vocal sample even helping with the repitiched aspect of it (Like the stuff you in... well lots of stuff, espicaly dubstep)

fixing and processing my own vocals in a singer songer writer sense (I'm a pritty bad singer), i undestand that nothing beats a good recording but i only do this stuff for my self.

Pitch Corecting on the fly is desirable as well

I'm swaying towards Nectar as it the one that i have demo'ed the most and it has all the extra processing fetures and i'm use to the interface as i already use Ozone. I can do all of the dynamic stuff and Verb/Delay in Live but if im going to be paying for the pitch corection might as well get that bit extra plus the presets seem to get you half way to the sound you after with a couple of clicks.

I'm doing more demo'ing with the others at them moment.

I know that i sound sold already but i would like to hear some of IDMs opions before i click "buy"

Advertisements

------------------
Eggyokeo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: You tube tutorials on the Post topic
Old 20-04-2012, 09:56 AM   #2
Benwaa
Re: Nectar Vs Melodyne Vs Auto Tune Vs other

i've only ever used melodyne studio - whilst it's fucking amazing for converting audio to midi - i'm not so keen on it for re-pitching, especially for vocals, there's is a very limited range that you can re-pitch vocal withit, in that it tend to robotize the vocal very quickly and within a mall shift from the original starting note. For synth sound etc it isn't so bad and can also help a lot in getting those notes that are slightly out of time into time, very handy if you tend to record to audio and not midi, and you may keep making that one mistake....
so yeah, overall, i wouldn't recommend melodyne at all for re-pitching vocal, maybe sorting a warble out on a note or those vocals that are jut a semitone out or something, but nothing more extreme unless you want that horrible robotic crap
for pitch correction on the fly. i am sure that melodyne do a plug in version to though for that on the fly thing you mention, melodyne editor or something i think

Last edited by Benwaa; 20-04-2012 at 10:01 AM..
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2012, 09:58 AM   #3
nooob
Minor Glitch
nooob is a savage MCnooob is a savage MCnooob is a savage MCnooob is a savage MCnooob is a savage MCnooob is a savage MCnooob is a savage MCnooob is a savage MCnooob is a savage MCnooob is a savage MCnooob is a savage MC
MC Status: 35822

I have only tried Melodyne and I was amazed by what it can do, the number of options you have and the quality. Can`t comment about the others.
Edit: was late, see Benwaa`s post
nooob is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2012, 10:33 AM   #4
marsdrums
marsdrums is a savage MCmarsdrums is a savage MCmarsdrums is a savage MCmarsdrums is a savage MCmarsdrums is a savage MCmarsdrums is a savage MCmarsdrums is a savage MCmarsdrums is a savage MCmarsdrums is a savage MCmarsdrums is a savage MCmarsdrums is a savage MC
Turin
MC Status: 13535

I tried all of them, and i think the best is Waves Tune. Total contol over vibrato, transitions, glides and formant. You can really turn a bad singer into a pop star!!

------------------

Composer & Sound Designer
marsdrums is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2012, 10:42 AM   #5
Eggyokeo
Microknight
Eggyokeo is just really niceEggyokeo is just really niceEggyokeo is just really niceEggyokeo is just really nice
Some where in the bush
MC Status: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsdrums View Post
I tried all of them, and i think the best is Waves Tune. Total contol over vibrato, transitions, glides and formant. You can really turn a bad singer into a pop star!!
I forgot about Waves tune, though doest that require iLok as i am trying to avoid Ilok (i will lose the dongle alot)

------------------
Eggyokeo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2012, 12:20 PM   #6
aurex
Regular Freak
aurex is a savage MCaurex is a savage MCaurex is a savage MCaurex is a savage MCaurex is a savage MCaurex is a savage MCaurex is a savage MCaurex is a savage MCaurex is a savage MCaurex is a savage MCaurex is a savage MC
MC Status: 3899266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggyokeo View Post
I forgot about Waves tune, though doest that require iLok as i am trying to avoid Ilok (i will lose the dongle alot)
Not anymore Waves dropped the iLok thingy and started their own service: Waves License Center (WLC).
Read all about it on wavesupport.net/content.aspx?id=4219
aurex is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 03:21 AM   #7
alteredtensions
alteredtensions is a savage MCalteredtensions is a savage MCalteredtensions is a savage MCalteredtensions is a savage MCalteredtensions is a savage MCalteredtensions is a savage MCalteredtensions is a savage MCalteredtensions is a savage MCalteredtensions is a savage MCalteredtensions is a savage MCalteredtensions is a savage MC
Los Angeles
MC Status: 156639

I like Auto-Tune the most. It's a lot more work than melodyne (at least in graphical mode, which I use a ton) but sonically it sounds a lot truer to the source material.

------------------
alteredtensions is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 08:49 AM   #8
Son of Akira
IDMf Artist
Son of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MC
over yonder, behind them old railroad tracks
MC Status: 47684970

Quote:
Originally Posted by alteredtensions View Post
I like Auto-Tune the most. It's a lot more work than melodyne (at least in graphical mode, which I use a ton) but sonically it sounds a lot truer to the source material.
+1, practically word-for-word what I was thinking

------------------
Son of Akira is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2012, 08:51 PM   #9
kateak
Minor Glitch
kateak is currently spamming hard
London
MC Status: 10

I like Digital Performer built-in autotune

Advertisements