non-tempered scales
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 20-04-2013, 02:51 PM   #1
cabelors
Minor Glitch
cabelors is a jewel in the roughcabelors is a jewel in the roughcabelors is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260
non-tempered scales

I'm making a college project where i'm building a ReacTable, in which i'm going to play a sythesizer. So my professor made me a challenge: "How about making some weird scales, as in non-temperated ones?", and then I thought about you guys .

Anyone has already experienced with that? Where can I begin? Anyone know some material about non-temperated scales?

I'm using PureData to program the table, so I'm thinking I'm going to feed some pre-established frequencies in the sinthesizer(which I'm also going to program) to make the scale.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Advertisements

cabelors is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 03:06 PM   #2
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390148
Thanked 2,834 Times in 1,766 Posts
Re: non-tempered scales

I've done a few things in both micro-tunal music and also some stuff like 17, 19, 22, etc TET (tone equal temperament). Both when I studying music and then fun experiments, not being serious about it. 12TET is the standard western tuning, and just by using a 17TET will throw most people off. I find micro-tuning (certain notes up and down in) a "regular" 12TET is more "[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
" and more fun to use, if you know what I mean.

Have a look into[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
. It might help you.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Evelon
cabelors (21-04-2013)
Old 21-04-2013, 08:04 PM   #3
cabelors
Minor Glitch
cabelors is a jewel in the roughcabelors is a jewel in the roughcabelors is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260
Re: non-tempered scales

Thank you! That's really helpful! Scala seens a really awesome program. Also, on their webpage, there's some links about microtonal scales and such.
Thanks again.

Advertisements

cabelors is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote