Melodies? What chords should I use for a chilled project?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 08-03-2013, 12:57 AM   #1
michealblue97
Learning The Ropes
michealblue97 is currently spamming hard
Memphis, Tennessee
MC Status: 10
Melodies? What chords should I use for a chilled project?

I have been working on many different chill song lately, and I have my kicks, snares, a couple different synths I made, and a couple different fxs. most of the time, I keep my melodies around A#4 ( Lowest) to A#6 ( Highest). and I'm currently using Flstudio 10.

What would you guys suggest?

Here is one of my older songs I had worked on melodies with.

Last edited by michealblue97; 19-03-2013 at 06:37 AM..

Advertisements

michealblue97 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:34 AM   #2
Slump
Analog Lurker
Slump is a splendid one to beholdSlump is a splendid one to beholdSlump is a splendid one to beholdSlump is a splendid one to beholdSlump is a splendid one to beholdSlump is a splendid one to behold
Sacramento, California
MC Status: 663
Re: Melodies? What chords should I use for a chilled project?

I suggest experimentation and practice. Oh, and books.

------------------
Slump is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:48 AM   #3
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8564580
Thanked 7,473 Times in 5,277 Posts

the write your own chord progression chord? Honestly dude, why would you want someone else to suggest what chord to use? Also...are you just using one? Or a chord progression?

Furthermore, if you have a melody written or a chord progression those two things, typically, share a pretty strong relationship as far as the notes that compose them.

I'm sorry man, I'm not trying to be complete ass (just a partial one). But to me asking someone what chord to use is on par with asking them to write the song for you.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:02 AM   #4
mkbot
Granular Poster
mkbot will become famous soon enough
Hawaii
MC Status: 60

You can make chill-step or chill-bass or chinchilla in basically any key, if you knew music theory and how to get melodies from chords and scales. Check this link it'll give the basics.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
soundcloud.com/enock-1
mkbot is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:34 AM   #5
swaddo84
Microknight
swaddo84 is a splendid one to beholdswaddo84 is a splendid one to beholdswaddo84 is a splendid one to beholdswaddo84 is a splendid one to beholdswaddo84 is a splendid one to beholdswaddo84 is a splendid one to beholdswaddo84 is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 760

Write down all the notes in your melody in alphabetical order for 1 octave.

Say I have a melody using A, C, D, E, G.

Just to make it a 7 tone scale like we mostly use in their fullest form I add a B and an !F!, because I have played them inside the notes of my melody and they sound good with it, giving me this scale:

A,B,C,D,E,!F!,G

I then write sequences of these notes by rule of pick 1 miss one i.e.

A,C,E

B,D,!F!

G,A,C,E,G

etc...

This is how you build basic triads and 7th chords if you're not aware of what's happening before you.

It's neat!

Last edited by swaddo84; 09-03-2013 at 05:23 AM..
swaddo84 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:45 AM   #6
michealblue97
Learning The Ropes
Memphis, Tennessee

Thanks for the replies. um, ik it is kinda a retarded question, but like, I was wondering because like I heard different chords sound better to the ear then other, and chord progression is a big part of house music, which is what im trying to make. Like, What im really trying to ask, is if I were to be progressing in a song, is going higher better then going lower? like if I were coming to a climax in a song?
Old 09-03-2013, 04:48 AM   #7
michealblue97
Learning The Ropes
Memphis, Tennessee

Thanks relic, Ik i didnt explain the question right. I have only been doing this 8 months and am just trying to figure out different sounds and different chord progressions. So some of the projects im working on can sound smoother.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:57 AM   #8
Dippshoe
cunt
Dippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MC
In an abandoned cave covered by mist in the depths of Jotunheimen.
MC Status: 12810

Simply play chords that sound good together.
If they sound good to you, then stick with it.

------------------

'Don't be an idiot.' Changed my life.
-Dwight Schrute.
Dippshoe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:04 AM   #9
swaddo84
Microknight
swaddo84 is a splendid one to beholdswaddo84 is a splendid one to beholdswaddo84 is a splendid one to beholdswaddo84 is a splendid one to beholdswaddo84 is a splendid one to beholdswaddo84 is a splendid one to beholdswaddo84 is a splendid one to behold

Climax is usually a collective energy.

I can drop to a minor 3rd and climax into something deep or I can go up a key or an octave and climax into something uplifting. I can even go melodically static and make the groove really kick in.

Just write the damn tune
Old 09-03-2013, 05:09 AM   #10
statisticquill
Ghostly
statisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond repute
Calgary
MC Status: 7510

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaddo84 View Post
A,B,C,D,E,Fb,G
Fb is my favourite note, especially when used in conjunction with E. They play off each other quite nicely.
statisticquill is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:21 AM   #11
swaddo84
Microknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticquill View Post
Fb is my favourite note, especially when used in conjunction with E. They play off each other quite nicely.
I'm rather drunk

Sad thing is that was after editing as I wrote the scale A,B,C,D,E,G,Fb first off and thought the mistake was purely due to bad alphabetising...

I'm gonna whistle a bit now and walk away....
Old 09-03-2013, 06:07 AM   #12
statisticquill
Ghostly
statisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond repute
Calgary
MC Status: 7510

Quote:
I'm rather drunk

Sad thing is that was after editing as I wrote the scale A,B,C,D,E,G,Fb first off and thought the mistake was purely due to bad alphabetising...

I'm gonna whistle a bit now and walk away....
Haha, its an easy mistake to make.

I just couldn't resist pointing it out. Sorry! : )
statisticquill is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:33 PM   #13
Crude_beats
Banned
Crude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MC
Rocking my boat across the seven seas
MC Status: 115728

AminGmaj

simple lovely.
Crude_beats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:30 PM   #14
Dippshoe
cunt
Dippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MC
In an abandoned cave covered by mist in the depths of Jotunheimen.
MC Status: 12810

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crude_beats View Post
AminGmaj

simple lovely.
Indeed.
I've also fell in love with Emaj-Dmaj

------------------

'Don't be an idiot.' Changed my life.
-Dwight Schrute.
Dippshoe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:39 PM   #15
Lug
Soxdix
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC
MC Status: 80996130
Thanked 4,118 Times in 2,673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by michealblue97 View Post
Here is one of my older songs I had worked on melodies with.

the melody at the start, the sine wave with a little delay stuff, is really out of tune
Lug is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:56 AM   #16
Kneedless
Master of the LFO
Kneedless has a reputation beyond reputeKneedless has a reputation beyond reputeKneedless has a reputation beyond reputeKneedless has a reputation beyond reputeKneedless has a reputation beyond reputeKneedless has a reputation beyond reputeKneedless has a reputation beyond reputeKneedless has a reputation beyond reputeKneedless has a reputation beyond reputeKneedless has a reputation beyond reputeKneedless has a reputation beyond repute
Straya
MC Status: 3460

that basic synth is out of key with the rest of the song.

I find the best way for me to pick a key is to just play around with a keyboard until i come across something i like, then look at what notes I'm using on this website
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

so for example, if I'm playing around and i use A - B - C# - D# - E - F# - G# A
so that matches "A Lydian" which is also E major

now when I add another melody to the track I make sure I only use notes in the E major scale, then nothing will be out of key.

or another method is to pick a scale from that site and then write something in that scale

------------------
Kneedless is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:35 PM   #17
Crude_beats
Banned
Crude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippshoe View Post
Indeed.
I've also fell in love with Emaj-Dmaj
interesting will try for sure in some happy reggae tune, I think its a kind of music where you can easily get away with playing all major chords.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:54 PM   #18
swaddo84
Microknight

I don't think I've ever used all major chords.

I always use at least 3 chords and at least one is always minor. Doesn't sound right to me otherwise.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:51 AM   #19
frajen
Analog Lurker
frajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud of
Berkeley, CA
MC Status: 1379

They're not triad majors but this is a jazzy 4-chord progression:
C Maj7
Eb Maj7
D Maj7
Db Maj7

This is close to the vamp intro on some versions of "On Green Dolphin Street"
frajen is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 05:18 PM   #20
Crude_beats
Banned

Quote:
I don't think I've ever used all major chords.

I always use at least 3 chords and at least one is always minor. Doesn't sound right to me otherwise.
you can get away with it in some wonky reggae at least

Advertisements