Is it OK to not have an identity as a producer? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:48 PM   #21
stem collector
IDMf Artist
stem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MC
seattle
MC Status: 74605010
Thanked 1,242 Times in 856 Posts
Re: Is it OK to not have an identity as a producer?

not even in a bad mood and this thread bothers me

Advertisements

------------------
stem collector is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:20 AM   #22
NExS
Granular Poster
NExS has a spectacular aura aboutNExS has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benwaa View Post
In that sense, however, you can only be "totally into something" for limited periods of time. There's absolutely no way you can remain the same level of ecstatic, non-stop, 24/7/365.

------------------
Final Fantasy VII: Mako Reactor Remix
NExS is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:08 AM   #23
aeoR
Savage Mad Cunt
aeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MC
MC Status: 13021026

Quote:
Originally Posted by NExS View Post
In that sense, however, you can only be "totally into something" for limited periods of time. There's absolutely no way you can remain the same level of ecstatic, non-stop, 24/7/365.
I know people who are ecstatically assholes 24/7/365
aeoR is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 04:45 PM   #24
plus3
Granular Poster
plus3 has a spectacular aura aboutplus3 has a spectacular aura about
Baltimore, MD
MC Status: 160

You should have a Brand / Image / Sound so people know what they're getting... If every album from an artist you like was a different genre, it would just be confusing and frustrating. People generally want more (but "new") music like the kind that attracted them in the first place. Last album was fantastic! Can't wait to see what else they come up with!

As a musician, however, you should not intentionally confine & restrict your style to anything. You should make whatever you want--be as free & creative as you please.

Just keep in mind when you release it publicly, people are expecting some level of consistencey. So if you Rap, produce Ambient Drone, & play Fiddle in the London Sympony Orchestra, that's fine--but it'd probably be more practical to release under different aliases so the fans of each of those indivdual sounds can actually follow you.
plus3 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 05:37 PM   #25
Slipstreamer
Microknight
Slipstreamer is just really niceSlipstreamer is just really niceSlipstreamer is just really niceSlipstreamer is just really niceSlipstreamer is just really nice
Grahamstown
MC Status: 410

The interesting thing is that quite a lot of the big buzz-names in electronic music seem to produce a very eclectic array of music... usually under pseudonyms, admittedly, but generally everyone knows the name behind the pseudonym in any case. Think of guys like Paul Rose (Scuba/SCB) or Dan Snaith (Manitoba/Caribou/Daphni). Even Jamie xx, who's known for his work with the xx but whose solo work bears only a passing resemblance to it...
Slipstreamer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2012, 02:41 PM   #26
Dr Insano
Microknight
Dr Insano is a name known to allDr Insano is a name known to allDr Insano is a name known to allDr Insano is a name known to allDr Insano is a name known to allDr Insano is a name known to all
London
MC Status: 560

Personality is more important than identity. The main problem with everyone nowadays is that they try and develop a style and then just produce in that, so their identity stales and you stop caring. A personality can change over time and improve or try new things.
Dr Insano is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 08:50 AM   #27
Arnage
Microknight
Arnage has a spectacular aura aboutArnage has a spectacular aura aboutArnage has a spectacular aura about
Melbourne
MC Status: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Insano View Post
Personality is more important than identity. The main problem with everyone nowadays is that they try and develop a style and then just produce in that, so their identity stales and you stop caring. A personality can change over time and improve or try new things.
Well said
Arnage is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Zero7 - Futures
Old 17-11-2012, 05:23 AM   #28
Digit
Regular Freak
Digit will become famous soon enough
the sovereign state of my mostly brown slip-on shoes
MC Status: 60

yeah, the word "eclectic" has been said twice so far... so i'll say it a third [or does this now count as fourth] time:

eclectic

it can indeed pay off to have a tenticle in many target audiences (yuck, i sound like i'm back in my "marketing or advertising" work), and then be a bridge of a sort for them to find other artists, which of course, might be statistically less significant a foot traffic return as keeping a closer-nit vibe, but people have broad tastes, we like diversity, so maybe you offering something different each time, could just be the variety to spice up life in folks ears.

idk, maybe it's one of those "wrong question"s.
maybe it's worse than a non-issue, but one which if becomes your focus, you lose track of what's important... and isnt it just joyously creating awesome stuff what's important? unfettered creativity? ... or maybe image and PR and identity and all the rest of that stuff really is important, and i should go back to helping do that for clients...

i say, create what you may create, and let the chips fall where they may. and if in doubt, have a dose or two of eckhart tolle.

PS,
oh, unless you're creating an identity as a work of art in itself... then i think it's ok, then i dont think bill hicks will tell you to kill yourself. like was mentioned... release under many monikers. that way you can have the diversity in your creativity, and consistency within discogs of each artist name.

Last edited by Digit; 17-11-2012 at 05:27 AM.. Reason: just a thought the moment i clicked send
Digit is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: ominator-preview1 by soffmu muhod, on soffmimuhod.bandcamp.com
Old 17-11-2012, 07:25 AM   #29
Renz
Granular Poster
Renz is a jewel in the roughRenz is a jewel in the roughRenz is a jewel in the rough
U.S
MC Status: 260

Who cares so long as your music is badass and you feel like a badass making it?
Renz is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 07:28 AM   #30
Surgical
Analog Lurker
Surgical will become famous soon enough
Tirana
MC Status: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renz View Post
Who cares so long as your music is badass and you feel like a badass making it?
This!^^^^^^
Surgical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 07:53 AM   #31
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199648418
Thanked 4,983 Times in 3,204 Posts

When the music speaks for itself there's really no need for gimmicks.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 01:49 AM   #32
saamjaam
saamjaam will become famous soon enoughsaamjaam will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

Forget producer identity, forget going for a signature sound.
If you enjoy producing then that is the most important thing. Just remember to challenge yourself regularly. Be aware of the ways in which you usually produce and do the opposite every now and then. We all too easily form habits in everything we do including production and composing so watch yourself!
That's my hypocritical pseudo-advice stolen from someone else no doubt.
*goes back to producing in the same way he usually does*
saamjaam is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2012, 01:36 AM   #33
neyus
Digital Surfer
neyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 4310

^
lol

Well there is nothing wrong with creating a signature sound really because once you do nobody can sound like you. But it is not easy to do and you'll pretty much need a eureka moment to achieve it. It's pretty damn worth it though.

------------------
neyus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:53 PM   #34
gbsr
gbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MC
gothenburg, sweden.
MC Status: 33141603

Quote:
Is it OK to not have an identity as a producer
yes.

thing is, once you are comfortable with yourself and your workflow, your production identity will simply come on it's own.
also, what happens if you work with others? if you are so hung up on this, what happens when you get new influences?

your producer identity should be your workflow, not whether or not you sound like "you".
the point with mainstream artists sounding in a certain way is because they usually a: have other people writing their songs for them, b: have access to certain mastering houses which DOES have a signature sound, c: have legal obligations to fulfill (as in a contract stating for example another album in this or that style (yes, it does happen)), d: need to sell so they are opting for familiarity.

but then consider this: how many of the big mainstream artists are actually being listened to if you are not counting promotional stunts, radio, tv-ads etc?
the whole idea of popularity in music is based around the payola system.

top charts means nothing these days at all.

is it ok for you to not have a producers identity?
the question should be:
why should it not be ok? can you give me one good reason?

familiarity? there's familiarity in doing all types of genres too, and besides, when you are comfortable with your workflow your signature sound will grow out on it's own because you do certain processing and you work in certain ways which will alter your sound anyways.

Last edited by gbsr; 11-12-2012 at 08:00 PM..

------------------
gbsr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:15 PM   #35
statisticquill
Ghostly
statisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond repute
Calgary
MC Status: 7510

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbsr View Post
yes.

thing is, once you are comfortable with yourself and your workflow, your production identity will simply come on it's own.
This is what I think.
You don't need a really cool artistic image or anything. Look at deadmau5, he has the stupidest image ever, its based around his cat and a giant plastic mouse head with lights on it. But the music is good (in my opinion hahaa, dont hate me!), so he's successful.

I was in a vocal jazz group in high school briefly, they always told me to smile while I was singing but fuck that, I was giving the music all the attention. You see classical performers all the time playing the most amazing, inspiring music with stone cold poker faces; they let the music speak for itself, so can you.
(that sounded really cliche, but seriously. its true.)
statisticquill is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 02:50 AM   #36
mimicry
Deep Underground
mimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MCmimicry is a savage MC
MC Status: 6715879

The mouse mask is probably a big part of why he's famous. For an average person, there's a lot of dance music out there, but only one guy with a huge stupid mouse mask, so that's what they'll remember.

You don't need anything, nobody is expecting anything of you. But if popularity is important to you, you have to remember that people remember, and associate with, characters and narratives. You can't be a guy, you have to be THAT guy.

------------------

Mimicry - Felt Like Walking:
mimicry is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2012, 01:31 AM   #37
vt100
Analog Lurker
vt100 is a glorious beacon of lightvt100 is a glorious beacon of lightvt100 is a glorious beacon of lightvt100 is a glorious beacon of lightvt100 is a glorious beacon of lightvt100 is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 548

you can be yourself, you can have some moniker. I guess I sort of like the idea of my artistic front being someone different than my personal front. I like that separation (granted, i'm hardly famous etc). Some artists seem to go the route of creating a new 'personality' for every genre they want to get into - this sort of goes into the world of branding and brand image (producer N is a trance producer, producer J is jungle).

I think it depends on what you want to do, at the end of the day though your music will speak for itself. Have fun with it.

------------------
vt100 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:49 PM   #38
benelli3000
Knob Twiddler
benelli3000 is a savage MCbenelli3000 is a savage MCbenelli3000 is a savage MCbenelli3000 is a savage MCbenelli3000 is a savage MCbenelli3000 is a savage MCbenelli3000 is a savage MCbenelli3000 is a savage MCbenelli3000 is a savage MCbenelli3000 is a savage MCbenelli3000 is a savage MC
Los Angeles
MC Status: 6398019

dabbling is fine but forgoing an identiy is not ok in my book.

------------------
benelli3000 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:53 PM   #39
MKhazzam
Granular Poster
MKhazzam is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HautSaus View Post
As a producer/musician/listener, I'm far less concerned with "styles" and "genres" than with quality and creativity of the feel and melody. I feel like people let themselves become pigeonholed in to one genre or way of thought when making music and they stop trying new things because they're scared they might sound bad. Really, at the time when the most revolutionary music came out, everybody at that time would say it would never last and it can never take over their beloved (style.) I personally try to experiment with as many different feels and textures as I can. I remember when I first started, when I was around 12 or 13, I would just be making weird sounds and disjointed drum beats. But looking back on this, it wasn't just noise, it was me figuring out how to make the software work, on top of figuring out what sounded bad and good. I'm not saying every song has to be a Frank Zappa album, but don't let your self get locked up in to songwriting habits.
+1 Well put

Advertisements

MKhazzam is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote