Mastering - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:46 AM   #41
SchyZooFreni
Learning The Ropes
SchyZooFreni is currently spamming hard
Považská Bystrica, Rozkvet
MC Status: 10
Re: Mastering

Which program is the best, when i want master on my PC?

Advertisements

SchyZooFreni is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:32 PM   #42
The Snakes of Eden
The Snakes of Eden is a savage MCThe Snakes of Eden is a savage MCThe Snakes of Eden is a savage MCThe Snakes of Eden is a savage MCThe Snakes of Eden is a savage MCThe Snakes of Eden is a savage MCThe Snakes of Eden is a savage MCThe Snakes of Eden is a savage MCThe Snakes of Eden is a savage MCThe Snakes of Eden is a savage MCThe Snakes of Eden is a savage MC
MC Status: 173418

Hmm, didnt know Jack the bear did single tracks at that price....

Rad.

------------------
The Snakes of Eden is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:18 AM   #43
InterTech
Regular Freak
InterTech is currently spamming hard

@nightime: what SafeandSound mention is pretty complete, and when the mix is well done, you will just have a better final product, as the less the engineer have to correct audio problem and balance, the more he can enhance you track. in general, mastering will improve by 20 to 30% the overall sounding of your track![Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Last edited by MC Perm; 02-02-2010 at 02:11 PM.. Reason: Stop with the shameless self promotion.
InterTech is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:59 PM   #44
SafeandSound
Sample Destroyer
SafeandSound is a savage MCSafeandSound is a savage MCSafeandSound is a savage MCSafeandSound is a savage MCSafeandSound is a savage MCSafeandSound is a savage MCSafeandSound is a savage MCSafeandSound is a savage MCSafeandSound is a savage MCSafeandSound is a savage MCSafeandSound is a savage MC
London UK
MC Status: 2213066

My advice for selecting the correct mastering engineer for your music is :

1)Comparing what speakers and equipment is being used (and verify it in a picture)
2)Verifying what professional audio experience your M.E. has.
3)Verify a photograph of the treated room where your audio is going to mastered.
4)Listen to a level matched version of your track against the mastered version(do not be overly impressed by volume alone)

------------------
Barry Gardner - SafeandSound Mastering
SafeandSound is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:08 PM   #45
InterTech
Regular Freak
InterTech is currently spamming hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeandSound View Post
My advice for selecting the correct mastering engineer for your music is :

1)Comparing what speakers and equipment is being used (and verify it in a picture)
2)Verifying what professional audio experience your M.E. has.
3)Verify a photograph of the treated room where your audio is going to mastered.
4)Listen to a level matched version of your track against the mastered version(do not be overly impressed by volume alone)
Thats is very technical for some people i think... and those criteria doesn't prove at all the real thing, or that the engineer is really qualified or even will give an answer to you need... Easy to put false spec and picture on the net... Mastering is all about is sound. If you want to know what place is the best for your needs, it's to listen what they do, to test them. That worth much than any flashy spec (that's not only conserning Mastring engineer, but many thing when we're talking audio. People sometime takes specs for cash... trust your ears!). Most online mastering services will offer free demo with your own track, as we do. That is something you can trust... what you hear is what you get. :-) And why not send demo request to multiple mastering services that interest you, and compare the result together and choose the one you like best... thats is something much more valuable that any picture on website...!

One thing is very true tho, compare mastering a "level matched version" of your original or even to compare different master from from multiple services is very important. Unexperienced ears will easily take loudness for good sounding. Thats is something to be very aware of, specially in the loudness war that pop and electronic music put the market in. Being more loud doesnt say it's better! Yes you need decent volume or loudness, and thats a part of the mastering process... but going at average of -8db rms and below start to be really crazy! Specially that most track will definitly saturate at those degree of compression...! Keeping an average in between -11db and -9.5db rms is usely pretty good and safe (always depending of the track sound and how it was mixed!)

So my point is: trust your ears, not your eyes!
InterTech is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:14 PM   #46
MC Perm
MC Perm is a savage MCMC Perm is a savage MCMC Perm is a savage MCMC Perm is a savage MCMC Perm is a savage MCMC Perm is a savage MCMC Perm is a savage MCMC Perm is a savage MCMC Perm is a savage MCMC Perm is a savage MCMC Perm is a savage MC
A Sound Decision
MC Status: 7653065

I'm only going to say this once guys:

If you self-promote outside of your signature you will be banned. We're not a bulletin board, we're a discussion board. Don't push yourself on our posters we won't have it here.
MC Perm is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2010, 12:06 AM   #47
Polemki
Regular Freak
Polemki is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 14

When sending the tracks to mastering i saw i should leave the master channel with at least a -2 or -3db gap. So the sounds goes clean, without compression or limiting. Ok, this being said i´m working the tracks right now with a lot of eq and compression, so it´s clearly exceeding the 0db.

Can i just lower the master channel volume getting the mix with less volume in general or should i review all volumes part by part?
Polemki is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2010, 12:22 AM   #48
MC Perm
MC Perm is a savage MCMC Perm is a savage MCMC Perm is a savage MCMC Perm is a savage MCMC Perm is a savage MCMC Perm is a savage MCMC Perm is a savage MCMC Perm is a savage MCMC Perm is a savage MCMC Perm is a savage MCMC Perm is a savage MC
A Sound Decision

Always leave the master fader at unity unless during in/out fades.

Do not touch the fader. Repeat; do not touch the master fader.
Old 23-04-2010, 10:16 AM   #49
Sound Geezer
Banned
Sound Geezer has a reputation beyond reputeSound Geezer has a reputation beyond reputeSound Geezer has a reputation beyond reputeSound Geezer has a reputation beyond reputeSound Geezer has a reputation beyond reputeSound Geezer has a reputation beyond reputeSound Geezer has a reputation beyond reputeSound Geezer has a reputation beyond reputeSound Geezer has a reputation beyond reputeSound Geezer has a reputation beyond reputeSound Geezer has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8821

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leucadia View Post
Always leave the master fader at unity unless during in/out fades.

Do not touch the fader. Repeat; do not touch the master fader.
There are times when lowering the master fader or increasing it for that matter will do no harm and actually be beneficical, both in the analogue domain and digital.

If I had just mixed a track and wanted to bounce down but my level was abit low it won't hurt to raise the master fader.

If I find that a I got a hot mix, it won't hurt anything to lower the master fader (depending on the DAW and plugins) so the final mix/bounce has headroom and avoids intersample-peak issues.

As a general guide for beginners it is best not to touch it. But for those who know the medium they are working with and the limitiations of their DAW this rule dosn't always hold fast.
Sound Geezer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2010, 01:31 PM   #50
phile
-Star Wars Minja-
phile is a savage MCphile is a savage MCphile is a savage MCphile is a savage MCphile is a savage MCphile is a savage MCphile is a savage MCphile is a savage MCphile is a savage MCphile is a savage MCphile is a savage MC
NYC
MC Status: 42198

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterTech View Post
Thats is very technical for some people i think... and those criteria doesn't prove at all the real thing, or that the engineer is really qualified or even will give an answer to you need... Easy to put false spec and picture on the net... Mastering is all about is sound. If you want to know what place is the best for your needs, it's to listen what they do, to test them. That worth much than any flashy spec (that's not only conserning Mastring engineer, but many thing when we're talking audio. People sometime takes specs for cash... trust your ears!). Most online mastering services will offer free demo with your own track, as we do. That is something you can trust... what you hear is what you get. :-) And why not send demo request to multiple mastering services that interest you, and compare the result together and choose the one you like best... thats is something much more valuable that any picture on website...!

So my point is: trust your ears, not your eyes!
Yea, I still wanna see what's been put to use on my stuff.... so sorry but pics tell a HUGE story.... Reviews from your buddies also don't mean shit you know....

Last edited by phile; 23-04-2010 at 01:35 PM..
phile is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2010, 01:33 PM   #51
phile
-Star Wars Minja-
phile is a savage MCphile is a savage MCphile is a savage MCphile is a savage MCphile is a savage MCphile is a savage MCphile is a savage MCphile is a savage MCphile is a savage MCphile is a savage MCphile is a savage MC
NYC

ohhh and mp3 for review/..... really?!?!!?..... I won't use that to judge anything...
Old 23-04-2010, 07:05 PM   #52
Polemki
Regular Freak
Polemki is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 14

Ok but it might be better to review the tracks, it will be a pain but i might go better at the final bounce. The thing is i was trying to get a good master, the volumes are high but i just don´t have the skill to do a proper master, so i have to export the track with the volumes much lower for mastering.

And besides that i had to lower the master channel a lot, so...
Polemki is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2010, 07:46 PM   #53
Broken
Thats NOT TECHNO!!!
Broken is a savage MCBroken is a savage MCBroken is a savage MCBroken is a savage MCBroken is a savage MCBroken is a savage MCBroken is a savage MCBroken is a savage MCBroken is a savage MCBroken is a savage MCBroken is a savage MC
MC Status: 86792552

haha i looked at this thread...thinking "spam it spam it just like the others" but then i thought no....im better than that....

------------------
Broken is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2010, 07:54 PM   #54
phile
-Star Wars Minja-
NYC

haha..... ohhh get off your hi horse and do it ... you CAN...
Old 23-04-2010, 07:57 PM   #55
Broken
Thats NOT TECHNO!!!
Broken is a savage MCBroken is a savage MCBroken is a savage MCBroken is a savage MCBroken is a savage MCBroken is a savage MCBroken is a savage MCBroken is a savage MCBroken is a savage MCBroken is a savage MCBroken is a savage MC

i cant spam now....no...im working on tensnake esk disco..

------------------
Old 23-04-2010, 08:00 PM   #56
phile
-Star Wars Minja-
NYC

ohhh heheheh.... I have a heavy metal album over the weekend and am trying to get in the mood ....
Old 23-04-2010, 08:03 PM   #57
Broken
Thats NOT TECHNO!!!

we are truely living in an age of prosperity my friend....musically were at a crossroads in every way imaginable, more people making music, hence more mastering people popping up, but more important a lot more styles and influences on sound....so to make this post "on" topic

the most important thing to take into account when mastering is EVERYTHING artistic....work WITH your mastering engineer, even if that engineer is yourself..because god knows...when you master your own stuff...you dont half work AGAINST yourself a lot of the time hehe.

------------------
Old 23-04-2010, 08:14 PM   #58
phile
-Star Wars Minja-
NYC

true dat!
Old 24-04-2010, 03:51 AM   #59
MC Perm
A Sound Decision

BROKEN!

Old 24-04-2010, 10:46 AM   #60
Broken
Thats NOT TECHNO!!!

Leucadia have you changed your name hehe

Advertisements

------------------