Mastering - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 25-10-2007, 07:51 PM   #21
cronus
Learning The Ropes
cronus is currently spamming hard
florida
MC Status: 10
Re: Mastering

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbleeconomy View Post

yes ozone 3 does an excellent job as far as a good pre master untill you decide if the material will be used or not.

Advertisements

cronus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2007, 08:07 PM   #22
phile
-Star Wars Minja-
phile is a savage MCphile is a savage MCphile is a savage MCphile is a savage MCphile is a savage MCphile is a savage MCphile is a savage MCphile is a savage MCphile is a savage MCphile is a savage MCphile is a savage MC
NYC
MC Status: 42198

yep!!!!!!! "quick&dirty"... And then come the quality processors
phile is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2008, 06:33 PM   #23
audiovalve
Learning The Ropes
audiovalve is currently spamming hard

Just wanted to let everyone know I am mastering tracks now, I got tired of everybody killing the dynamics. audiovalve.org
audiovalve is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2008, 06:57 PM   #24
adamrw
Learning The Ropes
adamrw will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 94

(This isn't aimed at anyone in particular, I just have strong views on this.)
My view is that if you created the music, learn to master it yourself.
The only time a mastering engineer could step in is when your mix is in danger of damaging speakers.
Thats it.
No EQing, no compressing, no limiting, no tape distortion, aside from what you can do yourself, otherwise it isn't completely your work when somebody else shapes your own sound, now is it?
How could a mastering engineer bring out more in the work that you created yourself...
are you that inept at creating your own damn work?
adamrw is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2008, 07:02 PM   #25
jakobcreutzfeldt
Ghostly
jakobcreutzfeldt is a savage MCjakobcreutzfeldt is a savage MCjakobcreutzfeldt is a savage MCjakobcreutzfeldt is a savage MCjakobcreutzfeldt is a savage MCjakobcreutzfeldt is a savage MCjakobcreutzfeldt is a savage MCjakobcreutzfeldt is a savage MCjakobcreutzfeldt is a savage MCjakobcreutzfeldt is a savage MCjakobcreutzfeldt is a savage MC
MC Status: 61112557

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamrw View Post
(This isn't aimed at anyone in particular, I just have strong views on this.)
My view is that if you created the music, learn to master it yourself.
The only time a mastering engineer could step in is when your mix is in danger of damaging speakers.
Thats it.
No EQing, no compressing, no limiting, no tape distortion, aside from what you can do yourself, otherwise it isn't completely your work when somebody else shapes your own sound, now is it?
How could a mastering engineer bring out more in the work that you created yourself...
are you that inept at creating your own damn work?
I disagree. I think all pre-mastering and such should be done by me, the producer, but in the end there's just no way I can do as good of a job mastering on my meager equipment as a professional with top-end equipment could do.
jakobcreutzfeldt is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2008, 07:09 PM   #26
audiovalve
Learning The Ropes
audiovalve is currently spamming hard

Mastering can bring out more in your mix than you even thought was there.
I offer a free test just to show you what can be done.

people that master their own track that have no idea what they are doing make it sound like shit.
You don't want some limited to death track , you want dynamics not just LOUD and in your face.

Regular monitors you cant hear everything in the frequency and with a room thats not tuned it will just come out worse.

love life
Kri
Mastering and Mixing Service:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Bands:

Dj:

Mixes:

releases: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
audiovalve is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2008, 02:20 AM   #27
adamrw
Learning The Ropes
adamrw will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovalve View Post
Mastering can bring out more in your mix than you even thought was there.
this is where I disagree.
and once again, I say that it's not good to have someone else shaping your sound.

mastering to me is like saying an artist cannot have a gallery show unless the curator comes over and adds paint to the canvas and "brings out" what the artist meant to say.
adamrw is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2008, 02:58 AM   #28
magicfreak32
Learning The Ropes
magicfreak32 will become famous soon enough
Duluth, MN
MC Status: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamrw View Post
this is where I disagree.
and once again, I say that it's not good to have someone else shaping your sound.

mastering to me is like saying an artist cannot have a gallery show unless the curator comes over and adds paint to the canvas and "brings out" what the artist meant to say.
I don't know about that, I think a better analogy would be that mastering is like adding a very nice frame to the edges of a canvas, leaving the art itself unaltered, but making the final product much more appealing.
magicfreak32 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2008, 03:49 AM   #29
MikeMikhjian
Regular Freak
MikeMikhjian will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 99

Mastering is a skill gained through time and development of the ear.

I try to keep it simple and not to complex but yet build a professional sound and create a beautiful frequency wave spectrum.

You need to compression on the right stuff and limiters on the right stuff. You cant just throw it on anything

Most of all, straight out from the sequencer your mix down should sound at its best. Check out some of deadmau5's tracks. If you look at the frequency of his tracks, extremly crisp n clear. Check it out
MikeMikhjian is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 04:52 PM   #30
InterTech
Regular Freak
InterTech is currently spamming hard
Icon4 Re: Mastering

No.

Last edited by MC Perm; 02-02-2010 at 02:13 PM..
InterTech is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2010, 05:06 AM   #31
Oilpanic
Regular Freak
Oilpanic is a savage MCOilpanic is a savage MCOilpanic is a savage MCOilpanic is a savage MCOilpanic is a savage MCOilpanic is a savage MCOilpanic is a savage MCOilpanic is a savage MCOilpanic is a savage MCOilpanic is a savage MCOilpanic is a savage MC
Chico CA Poison Valley
MC Status: 13802

I generally try to master myself,then send a raw rendition to amastering house and compare the results.To my surprise I find myself getting pretty close to the real thing.And Im getting better every time.I also feel that making a diy master gives you an idea of how it will turn out and if any changes are needed before sending the mix out.
Oilpanic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2010, 06:43 AM   #32
InterTech
Regular Freak

that is totally true! as sometime you dont hear some problem your mixdown has before starting to eq and compress for the mastering. For have deal with many producer, at always happens at least once that one of your track has a major problem. As an engineer, i often return back the producer pin pointing what he can fix on the mixdown first that will improve a lot the final result after mastering! ... Unfortunatly, most mastering engineer to bother doing that... they just do their bast with what they have in hand...!

Last edited by MC Perm; 02-02-2010 at 02:13 PM..
Old 31-01-2010, 08:43 AM   #33
Oilpanic
Regular Freak
Oilpanic is a savage MCOilpanic is a savage MCOilpanic is a savage MCOilpanic is a savage MCOilpanic is a savage MCOilpanic is a savage MCOilpanic is a savage MCOilpanic is a savage MCOilpanic is a savage MCOilpanic is a savage MCOilpanic is a savage MC
Chico CA Poison Valley
MC Status: 13802

I might just do that..
posted some stuff on your soundcloud btw.
And I think its a good idea for a mastering engineer to get back to the producer prior to finalizing the master as many things are better dealt with in the mix.
thx InterTech
Oilpanic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: anything by Ame or MyMy
Old 31-01-2010, 10:04 PM   #34
SafeandSound
Sample Destroyer
SafeandSound is a savage MCSafeandSound is a savage MCSafeandSound is a savage MCSafeandSound is a savage MCSafeandSound is a savage MCSafeandSound is a savage MCSafeandSound is a savage MCSafeandSound is a savage MCSafeandSound is a savage MCSafeandSound is a savage MCSafeandSound is a savage MC
London UK
MC Status: 2213066

Mastering is the final stage where your track can be improved or damaged.

It is also very common for a mastering engineer to give advice if there is a problem.
(if the engineer has the equipment with which to hear the problems in the first place)

Choose with care.

------------------
Barry Gardner - SafeandSound Mastering
SafeandSound is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2010, 10:29 PM   #35
InterTech
Regular Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeandSound View Post
Mastering is the final stage where your track can be improved or damaged.

It is also very common for a mastering engineer to give advice if there is a problem.
(if the engineer has the equipment with which to hear the problems in the first place)

Choose with care.
Yes, equipment is a big part but dont forget as well as the room's acoustic treatment is very important. ...and a pair of experimented ears for sure!! lol
Old 01-02-2010, 07:39 AM   #36
nighttime
Granular Poster
nighttime is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 23

ok. So i'm confused I think.
I'm a totally home grown producer, so i have big information-scape holes.

If I am producing my tracks so that they have the dynamic range/sound quality that I want. And the sound is mixed correctly. What is the difference in what mastering would entail.

------------------
New Song: Etch-and-burn
nighttime is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:02 AM   #37
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214389848
Thanked 2,828 Times in 1,763 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttime View Post
What is the difference in what mastering would entail.
Optimized (balanced/homogenic/crisp/clear) sound on the rendered stereo master file, that will transfer across well in most mediums.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:48 AM   #38
nighttime
Granular Poster
nighttime is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 23

But if I've mixed my track well, shouldn't this already be true?

------------------
New Song: Etch-and-burn
nighttime is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:19 AM   #39
SafeandSound
Sample Destroyer
SafeandSound is a savage MCSafeandSound is a savage MCSafeandSound is a savage MCSafeandSound is a savage MCSafeandSound is a savage MCSafeandSound is a savage MCSafeandSound is a savage MCSafeandSound is a savage MCSafeandSound is a savage MCSafeandSound is a savage MCSafeandSound is a savage MC
London UK
MC Status: 2213066

As a case in question, 95pct of major releases will have been mixed well but the label
will still get the product mastered as a whole. It's partly QC as well as making (in the case of good mixes) slight adjustments to the spectrum to ensure best reproduction. Whether we like the loudness war or not competitive level is a factor and the ME will have a range of tools to get you where you want with minimal damage.

Here are some good reasons to get your audio mastered :

Bring a number of mixes together as one product (especially if mixed on various systems/studios)

Insertion of sub code data to receive your royalties from radio broadcasts.

Insertion of CD Text and Barcode information

Quality control check on your spectrum through an accurate
room and monitoring system.

To subjectively improve the sound quality of your mixes if necessary.

To correct common problems in frequency response.

To correct/advise on mix problems which may cause playback
problems.

To increase perceived punch and if desired loudness with
least amount of artifacts introduced.

If requested critique of existing mixes.

It can actually be inexpensive.

Increase likelyhood that your CD/DDP master duplicates/replicates at the plant correctly and has a technical contact.

To encode into lossy formats in the best way possible. (for upload to myspace or online labels)

To say your music has been mastered alludes to the fact that you take your musical output seriously.

To maximise compatibility across a variety of playback systems, such as nightclubs, radio broadcasts.

This can only really be done in a room which is accurate and has monitoring which is capable
of revealing more than a standard studio monitor (though in some instances better studio monitors
can be used). Most importantly ME's develop and are not born, check the experience and background of your M.E., when you choose an ME ensure these things are verifiable. I am not pointing any fingers here by the way I am suggesting this is done with every and any person calling themselves an M.E. The choice for this service is absolutely huge and there are literally loads of places online offering mastering services which is fine. However some people are getting their fingers burnt if they do not investigate a little before proceeding.

cheers

Last edited by SafeandSound; 01-02-2010 at 10:23 AM..

------------------
Barry Gardner - SafeandSound Mastering
SafeandSound is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:32 AM   #40
Monsieur Poisson
Learning The Ropes
Monsieur Poisson is currently spamming hard
South London
MC Status: 26

Heya mate,

I've (after about 19 months) finally finished mixing an 11 track album - can you you recomend any of those online/ or an actual studio for mastering?

Advertisements

Monsieur Poisson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote