Should i learn how to use other DAWs? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 08-02-2017, 01:17 AM   #21
kellar
Learning The Ropes
kellar is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
Re: Should i learn how to use other DAWs?

really makes you think

Advertisements

kellar is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 01:41 AM   #22
Vault O)))
Savage Mad Cunt
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 41710

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellar View Post
really makes you think
Yeah, it does.

Cocaine audio and broton, miss u bros. RIP in peace
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 01:59 AM   #23
ms_
Biscuits
ms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MC
MC Status: 117360
Thanked 2,347 Times in 1,372 Posts

It's all about your workflow, however learning other DAWs it's crucial if you want to get into professional audio industry.

Most recording, film, game studios rely on Pro Tools and Logic, unfortunately. Audio editors such as Audition and Sound Forge are also widely used and I'm suggesting trying out some of them for basic/complex audio editing because they can offer much more than some of DAWs (if you don't have Audacity, you're already losing). The problem here is that Pro Tools is a dated piece of shit but still exists as an industry standard because they were the first and they're doing a great job of being a stable piece of software, which is very good for recording. That's why it still exists. Logic is only limited to Macs and has many flaws too and I'm hoping it will die soon as its newest version X suck ass but its price range and functionality might suit your needs and can be added to "Fun DAWs list". Ableton, Bitwig, Fl Studio, Reason, Cubase are all cool to try out if you're interested only in music making and don't care about the rest. Different workflows, especially Reason, you might like something more about one than other, each have something to offer, for better or worse.

Actually, I'm suggesting learning Reaper. I really hope it will kill Pro Tools because it's so much cheaper, has relevant updates that actually fix shit, does great job in general and company doesn't act like a bunch of douchebags.

So yeah, learn Reaper so we could all destroy evil Pro Tools.

Last edited by ms_; 08-02-2017 at 02:07 AM..
ms_ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 02:19 AM   #24
Artificer
Digital Surfer
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 33560

I'm ashamed to use other DAWs right now.

02-16-2014, 09:17 PM. Never forget.
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 03:16 PM   #25
Mitsakes
Regular Freak
Mitsakes has a spectacular aura aboutMitsakes has a spectacular aura about
Colorado
MC Status: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROton42 View Post
Going to adamantly disagree here on the grounds that learning anything is never a waste of time.
Totally, and skills that you achieve in one DAW will impact your performance in another. Trying out multiple workstations helps to cement what are good habits and what are not good habits. For example, recently I have tried going very minimal with my plugin use so that years from now I won't open up projects with missing plugins and pull my hair out. Stability is another concern. If someone is limited on money, then definitely mastering just one DAW is the way to go. But I think once live performance and other factors come into play, knowledge of multiple DAWs is just gaining you more power. For example, some people may write in one workstation and play live in another.
Mitsakes is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:50 PM   #26
Vault O)))
Savage Mad Cunt
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 41710

I've tried to switch in the past many times due to a crippling fear of missing out, but in the end I found that there was nothing really there. Some native tools are irreplaceable, but every DAW has their separate strengths.

I still enjoy rewiring FL and using fun DAW's like audiomulch and renoise, but in the end I always know where home base is.
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Vault O)))
jVs (05-03-2017)
Old 09-02-2017, 01:14 PM   #27
Mario D
Sample Destroyer
Mario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond repute
Croatia
MC Status: 2960

Personally would love to know Ableton, I have used it long time ago (8 years ago). Havent been producing for a long time and Cubase only stuck to my memory. Now I'm back and using Cubase 8. Really great tool. Wonder how good cubase is in 2017...
Mario D is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 11:32 PM   #28
jVs
IDMf Supporter
jVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MC
Scruffy City
MC Status: 105317639

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault O))) View Post
I've tried to switch in the past many times due to a crippling fear of missing out, but in the end I found that there was nothing really there. Some native tools are irreplaceable, but every DAW has their separate strengths.

I still enjoy rewiring FL and using fun DAW's like audiomulch and renoise, but in the end I always know where home base is.
That's what I'm screaming. ReWire does open up greater possibilities and options to workflow. To be completely honest I've not used it nearly as much as I should have.

Advertisements

jVs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote