What's a good inexpensive beginner keyboard?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Your Music

IDMf Netlabel

The Studio

Community Center

Music By Genre

Groups

Old 04-02-2012, 06:48 PM   #1
nopEda
Minor Glitch
nopEda is a savage MCnopEda is a savage MCnopEda is a savage MCnopEda is a savage MCnopEda is a savage MCnopEda is a savage MCnopEda is a savage MCnopEda is a savage MCnopEda is a savage MCnopEda is a savage MCnopEda is a savage MC
MC Status: 1805228
What's a good inexpensive beginner keyboard?

I would like to get a four octave keyboard not expecting to need pads because I never expect to try to do anything live. A sales guy was pushing one with pads and less keys and I asked if I could make keys into pads and he said yes, so since you can make pads from keys but can't make more keys it seems best to go with a four octave.

So far I'm thinking about an Oxygen 49 but only because that's the only thing I've seen in my price range other than an Alesis 49 which I don't like in large part because afaik they don't make a full manual for it.

Does it matter if the thing has midi in/out jacks, or is a USB connection all that matters? Trying to stay around $150 or less can anyone suggest any good options?

Advertisements

nopEda is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:04 AM   #2
VTMS
Sample Destroyer
VTMS is a savage MCVTMS is a savage MCVTMS is a savage MCVTMS is a savage MCVTMS is a savage MCVTMS is a savage MCVTMS is a savage MCVTMS is a savage MCVTMS is a savage MCVTMS is a savage MCVTMS is a savage MC
MC Status: 8847272
Re: What's a good inexpensive beginner keyboard?

I've got an Oxygen 49, The controllers on it are very simple to map to whatever you like, atleast on Ableton Live. Keys play nicely, velocity recognition works good when playing live. I do not have sufficient experience in other similar controls to give it any proper comparison, however great value for it's cost I'd say.

If you use it on a PC you only need the USB cable, as far as I remember the USB cable was the only one it came with (I've got the silver).
VTMS is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:45 PM   #3
nopEda
Minor Glitch
nopEda is a savage MCnopEda is a savage MCnopEda is a savage MCnopEda is a savage MCnopEda is a savage MCnopEda is a savage MCnopEda is a savage MCnopEda is a savage MCnopEda is a savage MCnopEda is a savage MCnopEda is a savage MC
MC Status: 1805228

Thanks! So far everything I've seen is in favor of the Oxygen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTMS View Post
I've got an Oxygen 49, The controllers on it are very simple to map to whatever you like, atleast on Ableton Live. Keys play nicely, velocity recognition works good when playing live. I do not have sufficient experience in other similar controls to give it any proper comparison, however great value for it's cost I'd say.

If you use it on a PC you only need the USB cable, as far as I remember the USB cable was the only one it came with (I've got the silver).
nopEda is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:40 PM   #4
snaper
Learning The Ropes
snaper is on a distinguished road
MC Status: 10

I suggest the Oxygen to! Its simple and got enough features!
snaper is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:34 PM   #5
AudibleAssassin
Soundwave Mangler
AudibleAssassin has a spectacular aura aboutAudibleAssassin has a spectacular aura about
Chicago, IL
MC Status: 160

Oxygen is a nice one.

I was in your same boat. Looking for a good lower priced one. Check our craiglist in your area. Always tons of slightly used ones. I picked up a like new M-audio keyboard/controller for 30bucks and they go for 200 new.
AudibleAssassin is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:46 PM   #6
Ap0C552
Digital Surfer
Ap0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to behold
Winnipeg
MC Status: 698

Oxygen 49 is what I have. LOL you think someone would try to be more competitive in this price point of the market LOL
Ap0C552 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:21 AM   #7
bbb
bbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MC
ATX
MC Status: 5739293

i had the oxygen 25, broke the slider getting a bit tipsy using it as a crossfader, eventually destroyed my keyboard, i guess.

Anyways, if you plan on using a controller such as an apc40, or anything really more geared towards live play, and would like to stay cheap on the board, I'd just opt for pitch bend/mod wheel/and tons of keys. 25 was nice, but being able to fly all over the keyboard like a crack addict, makes me happier than extra knobs.

Then again, weighted keys would make me even more happier.

o7 happy purchasing.
bbb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:59 PM   #8
Chris Lopo
Granular Poster
Chris Lopo has much to be proud ofChris Lopo has much to be proud ofChris Lopo has much to be proud ofChris Lopo has much to be proud ofChris Lopo has much to be proud ofChris Lopo has much to be proud ofChris Lopo has much to be proud ofChris Lopo has much to be proud ofChris Lopo has much to be proud of
Rio de Janeiro
MC Status: 1218

What about the Alesis QX49?

Advertisements

------------------
Yay!
Chris Lopo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote