IDMf netlabel: what are the plans? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

IDMf Netlabel Albums + Discussion Chat about IDMf label releases goes here.

Old 20-10-2017, 06:51 AM   #41
Vlantis
IDMf Artist
Vlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MC
In the corn.
MC Status: 421871479
Thanked 4,870 Times in 2,816 Posts
Re: IDMf netlabel: what are the plans?

Best thread on IDMf in years.

Unfortunately I can't contribute more than that, but fuck yeah. Even if I never came here past today, nothing would make me happier if this place found some way to flourish. I have unconditional love for IDMf, like an ex-girlfriend or something.

Last edited by Vlantis; 20-10-2017 at 07:10 AM..

Advertisements

------------------
Pay-what-you-want albums at bandcamp.
Soundcloud
Facebook
Vlantis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 08:39 AM   #42
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744031641
Thanked 7,284 Times in 4,525 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
Does that mean, lol, we're going to have to set up shop completely anew..new site..and/or hosting? Just trying to understand what you meant by "We've basically lost control of the website as it stands at the moment, and that's why we haven't deleted that spam over there."

I'm guessing from what you said before that hosting isn't an issue at the moment, as Stu keeps renewing it, but if we has to move, how would that play with Stu? Would there be an issue with the IDMf name?

If we had to, I'd certainly be up for pledging a certain amount each year to go towards costs. It would be a shame if the site just vanished completely..which reminds me, probably stating the obvious here, but make backups of everything if you guys haven't done so already.
A previous Admin basically took the password to the website with him when he left and locked us out of it, simple as that.
We're fairly confident that some IDMf donation money went missing with the same guy.
Not enough proof or energy to chase it up though, just an eye-opener on how not to do things in future.
That's part of why I've suspended donations.
I hate the idea of your cash just floating around in an account for a while, getting forgotten about and eventually lost one way or another.
Even worse if it continues to go straight into the personal bank account of a former Admin.
I'd much rather see targetted money raising drives as and when we need money, rather than a rolling unaccounted donation scheme.
I literally have no idea how much money has ever been donated and how/what it was used for and that's coming from someone who also donated.
I can't let that continue while it says Admin underneath my name.

I have little to no contact with Stu so really have no idea on any of that.
Don't take this the wrong way mate because I know your heart is in the right place, but I think your questions are a little wide of the mark at this point A.M.
We'll cross all those bridges as and when.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 12:28 PM   #43
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 184660
Thanked 3,693 Times in 2,753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
A previous Admin basically took the password to the website with him when he left and locked us out of it, simple as that.
We're fairly confident that some IDMf donation money went missing with the same guy.
Not enough proof or energy to chase it up though, just an eye-opener on how not to do things in future.
That's part of why I've suspended donations.
I hate the idea of your cash just floating around in an account for a while, getting forgotten about and eventually lost one way or another.
Even worse if it continues to go straight into the personal bank account of a former Admin.
I'd much rather see targetted money raising drives as and when we need money, rather than a rolling unaccounted donation scheme.
I literally have no idea how much money has ever been donated and how/what it was used for and that's coming from someone who also donated.
I can't let that continue while it says Admin underneath my name.

I have little to no contact with Stu so really have no idea on any of that.
Don't take this the wrong way mate because I know your heart is in the right place, but I think your questions are a little wide of the mark at this point A.M.
We'll cross all those bridges as and when.
Thanks..really appreciate the detailed explanation..and I totally get what you mean about the questions I've asked..no worries, no offense taken at all. But you have to keep in mind these things are not really that far off that we don't need to take them on board a this time. The issue of who owns the name and rights to use it are a very big one moving forward..even more so if you were planning "formalizing" things, as Artificer suggested.

That thing about the password..that sucks..a really shitty thing to do, regardless of their motives for doing it, as it effects everyone and not just those with whom thay might have has "issues". It's sad, too..as I wouldn't have thought any of you guys who have been running the show while I've been here would stoop to that level.

As for Stu, he's always seemed to me to be this mythical figure behind everything, that set all this in motion and who maybe lurks here from time to time. That said, I don't think we could really do anything "solid" with the site, as long as he's paying the bills, so to speak. At the very least, he'd have to be consulted about any majory changes or future plans..I think we collectively owe the guy that much.

Last point..please keep in mind I'm saying all of this as a bog-standard member on here..and, like every other member, we're bound to say or ask things in near-total ignorance, as we're not "in" on the talks you guys have behind closed door. That's not to imply we should be told everything either, .even though this thread is a great chance for all of us to have a more active hand in how things move forward from here..and kudos to all concerned for giving us that chance.

Regardless of how things currently stand, I personally think the site is in very good hands and trust you guys to take it on to bigger and better things, as I'm sure will be the case.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 08:55 AM   #44
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC

The "who's in control of IDMf" regarding admins "vs" Stu has been an issue for ages.
Did I say limbo yet?
Anyway, remember Fid's Env-Mod breakaway idea a few years back?
That was caused by this limbo and lack of total control and therefore ability to take IDMf any further.

The truth is Stu pays for this place to stay up every year, no questions asked.
He pretty much entirely leaves the running of the place to the team here.
What's in it for him?
No idea at this stage tbh.

I think basically people (mods/admins) hit a wall where they realise how much time and effort they've put in here over the years with no solid comebacks, payment or ownership/control of the site(s), and each day that continues afterwards the resentment and feelings of split commitments grows.
It's probably one of the major issues with IDMf tbh.
Everyone who's run this ship has done so of their own free will as an unpaid volunteer. That said, it can start to grate on you after a while and nobody likes to feel like a mug. Perhaps that's part of the root of the problem, in that becoming Admin increasingly removes the feeling of volunteering and it just becomes a thankless task? I don't know.
Old 21-10-2017, 08:32 PM   #45
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222282884
Thanked 2,634 Times in 1,755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
Imo this forum is fighting for its life. Nobody really posts here any more and the music side of the forum is dead. theres lots of people here for sentimental reasons and to people joining up new that just looks weird and hard to be a part of. like a dying pub (I have worked in a pub and day by day witness it die) when its dead people will walk in and walk out again because its dead... its a spiral

I know this is about the label but as were talking about the site as a whole, and I feel that it is a very pressing matter, I just want to maybe put out a more urgent viewpoint.

having read the last few pages, and recently joining another forum it is suddenly clear as day to me that this forum is really a relic of 10 -15 years ago and if it is to prosper long term it needs radical change not softly softly. its seems clear that the relationship between the owner and the site is not going to allow for that realistically so imo (imo) the forum has arrived or is arriving at a place where the admin lads need to ask some big questions and think outside the box maybe.

at some point its going to be a few remaining lads of a once large group of internet acquaintances occasionally saying hi to each other. then a past user pops up who hasn't been here for ages and somebody goes omg its so-and-so shit how are you doing and then nothing

I'm probably being extremely pessimistic. I want to make it clear that I'm not trying to dismiss anybodies contributions to this place. mine are largely negative, drunken and brain dead and for that I really do apologise. I am a few glasses of very nice wine in to this evening and know how I get so will steer clear. good luck everybody and can we also just all agree that am is a nice guy thanks and cheers

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2017, 08:42 AM   #46
lolirl
Administrator

I don't think that that assessment is necessarily wrong.
However it also highlights that you can be very late to the party and still enjoy the place.
Old 22-10-2017, 03:34 PM   #47
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8541730
Thanked 7,016 Times in 4,984 Posts

@FMB That is pretty accurate IMO. I think we, desperately, need to upgrade and far away from vBulletin. But there are two big roadblocks there. Access to the controls to truly steer the ship and money lol.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
lolirl (22-10-2017)
Old 25-10-2017, 03:05 AM   #48
bbb
IDMf Artist
bbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MC
ATX
MC Status: 5743193

This discussion definitely is a great one. I also haven't been around in a while; I'm one of those guys. And apologies in advance if this seems like a rant. This is probably all terrible...

For the label stuff, I will say that other than the age of some of the artist releases, those are worth money to me. I haven't found one I didn't like. And on top of that, bandcamp allows for discounts vouchers to be given out. [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
So possibly by saying hey if you donate "x" you get the next release for free. But then I guess the donating is out at the moment. I also liked when the sample packs were coming with donations. Especially at the moment because my hard drive took a dump and goodbye libraries...So really I guess that's a mix of donations and label. And with streaming of music being so prevalent now people have easy access to any music, it seems. Whether they get their own digital copy.

The website thing. What is the point of the website? Is it to be a simplified redirect to the music and community? If that's the case, it isn't difficult to mod templates. Just takes some time and some software knowledge. I used to fool around with free domains and mod templates. It was fun but nothing more than mentioned above.

I don't have any input on the forum stuffs.

I do like the goals/ideas being mentioned about the label. I would guess it's all possible. Just going to take time and energy. I don't have any related skills but I'm willing to help if possible, with whatever I can.

Night people.

------------------
Say
bbb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2017, 04:37 PM   #49
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269465558
Thanked 2,839 Times in 1,879 Posts

Suggestion needed: what is the best/cheapest services to put music out on digital retailers and Spotify?

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2017, 05:26 PM   #50
brb
Commie SJW
brb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MC
The Wrong Side Of History
MC Status: 69887419

Maybe I just have romantic notions of underground music but do we need to spend actual money on, like, actual distribution? Who would we be looking to reach that way? Is there much potential benefit to our kinds of music being available on such platforms?

What are the actual costs of distribution? Can't most of them be bypassed with a little sneaky coordination?

Looking at the success (or in some cases, inexplicable lack of failure) of various crowdfunded/donation-only podcasts, indy albums/games/movies, couldn't we get by with a paypal donation address and a network of free hosting? Wouldn't it be better to thrive in that sort of environment before moving on to more expensive things?

------------------
brb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to brb
lolirl (24-11-2017)
Old 23-11-2017, 07:24 PM   #51
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 108350
Thanked 2,141 Times in 1,390 Posts

Distrokid is hella easy and cheap and there are ways to get discounts even past the already reasonable base price.

------------------
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Oatbag
lolirl (24-11-2017)
Old 25-11-2017, 06:20 PM   #52
Creepr
Soundscaper
Creepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond repute
Germany
MC Status: 7360

I think a modest investment in something like Distrokid(seems to be the better of the distro companies I have looked at) would not only further that goal and make participation in the comps and general submission through the netlabel more attractive to us, but on the outside show a bit of dedication and coordination, like "hey, these fuckers are on BC, Spotify, that apple music thingy, soundcloud, in my school's elevator etc, they appear to take themselves and their member's music seriously. Damn they must be some cool ass, hansome/pretty bitches."

Also, the label is, imho, the best means which we as a group should use to try to financially support our site. Our music is our saleable asset, and if we donate our tracks to the label, the label should be pimping the shit out of them to help pay the rent. And it is up to us to give the label the means to do so. So +1 vote for some more formal promotion like Distrokid.

Also for cleaning up our web presence. I already volunteered via PM to help out where I can. Though I have yet to hear back anything concrete, the offer still stands if I could be of service.

Further, since I already have my shovel out and am digging such a nice hole: since there is this whole business with Stu that is causing more than a little stress, the webpage is not fixable, the BC looks odd, what about a new start with a new identity? Same crew, just a new forum, fixed up BC page, new website for the label, distribution setup form day one, that LLC thing maybe tossed in to handle the monies...just my 2c.

------------------
Creepr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 04:11 AM   #53
lolirl
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creepr View Post
I think a modest investment in something like Distrokid(seems to be the better of the distro companies I have looked at) would not only further that goal and make participation in the comps and general submission through the netlabel more attractive to us, but on the outside show a bit of dedication and coordination, like "hey, these fuckers are on BC, Spotify, that apple music thingy, soundcloud, in my school's elevator etc, they appear to take themselves and their member's music seriously. Damn they must be some cool ass, hansome/pretty bitches."

Also, the label is, imho, the best means which we as a group should use to try to financially support our site. Our music is our saleable asset, and if we donate our tracks to the label, the label should be pimping the shit out of them to help pay the rent. And it is up to us to give the label the means to do so. So +1 vote for some more formal promotion like Distrokid.

Also for cleaning up our web presence. I already volunteered via PM to help out where I can. Though I have yet to hear back anything concrete, the offer still stands if I could be of service.

Further, since I already have my shovel out and am digging such a nice hole: since there is this whole business with Stu that is causing more than a little stress, the webpage is not fixable, the BC looks odd, what about a new start with a new identity? Same crew, just a new forum, fixed up BC page, new website for the label, distribution setup form day one, that LLC thing maybe tossed in to handle the monies...just my 2c.

About the most "for the cause" post I've seen in a while.
x1000 kudos awesome idmf points!

------------------
Thanks to lolirl
relic (27-11-2017)
Old 26-11-2017, 10:03 AM   #54
Creepr
Soundscaper
Creepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond repute
Germany
MC Status: 7360

Slight correction, I do not know why I threw in there that the BC site looks weird, must have been thinking of something else/drunk/it was late. It is totally a cool page as-is. Carry on.

Also, thanks Lolirl. I like this place, I hope it grows and develops and thrives. Time will tell.

Last edited by Creepr; 26-11-2017 at 10:12 AM..

------------------
Creepr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Creepr
I/O_Madness (26-11-2017)
Old 27-11-2017, 02:53 AM   #55
dada_davros
IDMf Supporter
dada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MC
MC Status: 11910

I second everything Creepr said. Distrokid would be a positive step, onwards and upwards etc etc

Advertisements

------------------
dada_davros is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to dada_davros
Creepr (27-11-2017)