[EDM/House/Groovy] Serial Saga - Bubblegum
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Listening Booth YOUR MUSIC ONLY. Don't post music from your label or DJ night. No podcasts or radio shows, just individual tracks. Give some feedback, get some in return. Please follow the title format: [Genre] Artist - Title

Old 14-11-2017, 03:12 AM   #1
SoloSaga
Sample Destroyer
SoloSaga will become famous soon enough
Ohio
MC Status: 60
[EDM/House/Groovy] Serial Saga - Bubblegum

Hey guys, not sure what genre this falls under to be honest. It puts me in a good mood listening to it and its got a nice groove.

While I'm happy with it overall, I realize it could use some work. Let me know what you guys think.

Last edited by SoloSaga; 15-11-2017 at 01:04 AM..

Advertisements

------------------
SoloSaga is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Rate this track - [EDM/House/Groovy] Serial Saga - Bubblegum.
Old 20-11-2017, 02:18 AM   #2
SoloSaga
Sample Destroyer
Ohio
Re: [EDM/House/Groovy] Serial Saga - Bubblegum

Selfish Bump.

------------------
Old 20-11-2017, 04:48 AM   #3
Taaz
Radial Developer
Taaz is a savage MCTaaz is a savage MCTaaz is a savage MCTaaz is a savage MCTaaz is a savage MCTaaz is a savage MCTaaz is a savage MCTaaz is a savage MCTaaz is a savage MCTaaz is a savage MCTaaz is a savage MC
North Dakota Eh
MC Status: 26008

I can't think of anything negative to say about it, nice track

------------------
Taaz is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2017, 12:53 AM   #4
SoloSaga
Sample Destroyer
Ohio

Hey thanks for the comment. I guess more specifically sound design and mastering/EQ quality is what I'm concerned about.

------------------
Old 24-11-2017, 11:43 PM   #5
TheStumps
Knob Twiddler
TheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond repute
Alaska
MC Status: 7110

Well...on the engineering side, you've got quite a lot of work cut out.

Here's the readings:
Like many folks, you've trapped your song into a very narrow area with an incredibly tiny dynamic range of around 7.5 dBs (you want more around 10 or greater, but with dance, 10 is a good target).

Your LUFS are just far too slammed into one tight spot.
Just under 60% of your total LUFS levels are between -6 and -7 dBFS, and almost all of your peaks are at 0, which you REALLY don't want to be tapping.

You need to bring your limiter down to more around -2 instead of leaving it on 0 because you've got 63 peaks that go over 0 with an average of 0.08 LUFS for those peaks which go over 0.

You need to turn some supporting tracks down and pan them around left and right rather than just using volume to make them heard.

And you need to move everything down in general so that your average LUFS is around -10 rather than -7.9.

Your spectrograph also shows that you're using cut offs and compressors, etc... heavily to shape your sound and consequently forcing everything to be within a very specific and narrow dB range.
Remove a lot of that and let more frequencies fall where they do naturally, and only use pass filters/cut offs on the master layer if your concern is making sure you don't have a certain range of high frequencies.

You need more variation in sound and frequency, so let some of the constraints that you've got go.

So turn things down, spread them out, and let them be more free to propagate as they naturally do instead of forcing every track down the same hall way.

Cheers!
TheStumps

------------------
You, or anyone else, are free to do anything with the music that I make. I consider all of my productions to be public domain. If someone asks, I will give them the source files and any related sample files if they are needed. Music is a dialogue, not a speech. Any listener must be free to become the speaker at any time for the life of the dialogue to be retained. Let us, then, discuss in tone.
TheStumps is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 08:52 PM   #6
SoloSaga
Sample Destroyer
Ohio

Wow, I greatly appreciate what you've done here. Thank you very much!! Unfortunately, I'm pretty new to music production and I am definitely not a sound engineer so a lot of this goes over my head, but some of the more straight forward things you mentioned would be an easy fix.

------------------
Old 25-11-2017, 10:51 PM   #7
TheStumps
Knob Twiddler
TheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond repute
Alaska
MC Status: 7110

If you have questions, just ask away. I can break things down more.

Since you are new to the engineering stuff; I suggest two things:
1) Read mixing and mastering on this site [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

2) Read Ian Shepherd's blogs (he has videos as well).
Let's start with this one: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

And this one: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
Cheers!
TheStumps

Advertisements

------------------
You, or anyone else, are free to do anything with the music that I make. I consider all of my productions to be public domain. If someone asks, I will give them the source files and any related sample files if they are needed. Music is a dialogue, not a speech. Any listener must be free to become the speaker at any time for the life of the dialogue to be retained. Let us, then, discuss in tone.
TheStumps is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote