[House] Matthew Strive - Together (PeteVai Remix) [Contest Entry]
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Listening Booth YOUR MUSIC ONLY. Don't post music from your label or DJ night. No podcasts or radio shows, just individual tracks. Give some feedback, get some in return. Please follow the title format: [Genre] Artist - Title

Old 05-11-2017, 05:21 PM   #1
PeteVai
Analog Lurker
PeteVai has a spectacular aura aboutPeteVai has a spectacular aura about
Lisbon
MC Status: 160
Icon2 [House] Matthew Strive - Together (PeteVai Remix) [Contest Entry]

Hi guys,

I'm participating in a contest and this is my entry.
I would mainly like feedback on the mixing as House is not my strongest suit.
Also would appreciate some feedback regarding the structure of the track.

Cheers

Last edited by PeteVai; 05-11-2017 at 06:48 PM..

Advertisements

------------------
PeteVai is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Rate this track - [House] Matthew Strive - Together (PeteVai Remix) [Contest Entry].
Old 05-11-2017, 07:12 PM   #2
tvmcc
Sample Destroyer
tvmcc is a savage MCtvmcc is a savage MCtvmcc is a savage MCtvmcc is a savage MCtvmcc is a savage MCtvmcc is a savage MCtvmcc is a savage MCtvmcc is a savage MCtvmcc is a savage MCtvmcc is a savage MCtvmcc is a savage MC
MC Status: 2522504
Re: [House] Matthew Strive - Together (PeteVai Remix) [Contest Entry]

Heya Pete!

While I may not be the 1st person to say "Hey let's see what's happening in the house room/stage/bunker/thingy..I can appreciate the the talent none the less. Ie. i'll give it a go, and shake my tail if asked to tag along! =)

On to this tune:

I've listened to your mix on both headphones/can/earbleeders and studio monitors (only 1 set krk R5). My initial listen through was a bit rushed. So I pulled up a analyzer and checked the stereo image out. My advice with the mix would be to step back, and ensure that each track/part/instrument/patch/samples used to create a region on a track.. are of the same velocity. Then ensure that said parts do not clash with other tracks/instruments frequencies. While yes we will have some bits crossing over per other instruments frequencies, having everything hitting peaks through out the entire song creates ear fatigue rather fast.

As far as structure goes here a few things i jotted down:
  • During the intro grab a note from your lead synth, or a portion of the sample and add some verb to it, and create a nice ring in. Or use th same noise, and combine it with a kick that has been eq'd, then add some verb to them, resample that stretch it a bit, resample, chop it up to create a sort of lead in bit going up to .15-.16. This will give it that house intro feel for the dj to que up.
  • Possibly filter down or do a eq sweep on your drum group at .16 to about .39. This filtering should be light, and possibly have 2 bands sweeping, notching over each other. The same effect can be applied later to create a sense of tension if desired as well.
  • When the synth melody comes in at .37 a sweep/riser would dial this transition. imo
  • Your clap to hh transition @ .59-1:05 needs a little work.
  • Not sure if your using references but here's a few artist that come to mind for this style:
  • Claude Vonstroke, Green Velvet, Justin Martin, Dj Funk, OnKill, Frenzy

Great feelings come from this, but truth be told it needs some work on the arrangement. A few edits, resampling, re-structructing, mix sessions, and this will could be a banger! Oh by the way.. no sub, or 808?

Thanks for sharing.
tvmcc is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 11:22 AM   #3
PeteVai
Analog Lurker
Lisbon

Thanks for the very detailed feedback!

Regarding the velocity, I did not change anything, so all elements are with the same velocity.

I will most likely make all the changes you suggested, I understood exactly what you mean and I agree it could work better. I don't usually make housy tracks so for me it's hard to get a clearly defined structure and the build ups aren't my strong point.

Thanks for the reccomendations, I honestly never heard of any of those artists but I'll definitely check them all out to get some better idea of what to do in the future.

I decided not to use sub or 808, instead use a pad with some low end because this is more of a wavy vibe and I think it wouldn't have the same feeling with a more traditional low end.

Cheers!

------------------
Old 06-11-2017, 12:41 PM   #4
tristcarmichael
Granular Poster
tristcarmichael is just really nicetristcarmichael is just really nicetristcarmichael is just really nicetristcarmichael is just really nice
Cape Town
MC Status: 360

Hey Pete

Thanks for sharing the track. My ears are probably not that experienced in this field but here are my two cents worth.

1. I found the ambient synths to be quite loud in some sections. Its not that I don't like them but possibly they could do with some automation. There might also be one or two freq you may need to notch down especially in the first build. They were a bit taxing on my ears if I'm honest.

2.Secondly the build up to the second drop is a bit flat to my ears. Have you tried maybe a washout break before the drop kicks in? Again just my two cents worth.

I absolutely love the synths. Good luck for the contest!

Trist

tristcarmichael is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 01:48 PM   #5
PeteVai
Analog Lurker
Lisbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristcarmichael View Post
Hey Pete

Thanks for sharing the track. My ears are probably not that experienced in this field but here are my two cents worth.

1. I found the ambient synths to be quite loud in some sections. Its not that I don't like them but possibly they could do with some automation. There might also be one or two freq you may need to notch down especially in the first build. They were a bit taxing on my ears if I'm honest.

2.Secondly the build up to the second drop is a bit flat to my ears. Have you tried maybe a washout break before the drop kicks in? Again just my two cents worth.

I absolutely love the synths. Good luck for the contest!

Trist

Thanks for your feedback! I will try to make a version with the changes you proposed and see if it sounds better.

You have some amazing tracks btw

------------------
Old 06-11-2017, 01:55 PM   #6
tristcarmichael
Granular Poster
tristcarmichael is just really nicetristcarmichael is just really nicetristcarmichael is just really nicetristcarmichael is just really nice
Cape Town
MC Status: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteVai View Post
Thanks for your feedback! I will try to make a version with the changes you proposed and see if it sounds better.

You have some amazing tracks btw

Thanks man!Glad you like. Hopefully put out some more stuff end of the month
tristcarmichael is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 11:04 AM   #7
thin king
Soundscaper
thin king is a jewel in the roughthin king is a jewel in the roughthin king is a jewel in the rough
Sheffield
MC Status: 260

Not bad overall - the kick is good and the stereo field is nice but I do think your levels need work - the pads get way too loud on the builds which makes the drops feel empty - plus your bass is lacking low end and may be a tad flat tuning wise. I would personally use a different bass sound altogether but that is just my opinion. Good luck

------------------
thin king is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 08:56 PM   #8
PeteVai
Analog Lurker
Lisbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thin king View Post
Not bad overall - the kick is good and the stereo field is nice but I do think your levels need work - the pads get way too loud on the builds which makes the drops feel empty - plus your bass is lacking low end and may be a tad flat tuning wise. I would personally use a different bass sound altogether but that is just my opinion. Good luck
Hi! Thanks for your feedback, I've already changed the levels in my new version and changed the bass sound selection.

Cheers

Advertisements

------------------