Windows DAWs that work well in Wine (Linux)
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 22-10-2017, 04:59 AM   #1
SampleScienc
Knob Twiddler
SampleScienc has a reputation beyond reputeSampleScienc has a reputation beyond reputeSampleScienc has a reputation beyond reputeSampleScienc has a reputation beyond reputeSampleScienc has a reputation beyond reputeSampleScienc has a reputation beyond reputeSampleScienc has a reputation beyond reputeSampleScienc has a reputation beyond reputeSampleScienc has a reputation beyond reputeSampleScienc has a reputation beyond reputeSampleScienc has a reputation beyond repute
Canada
MC Status: 2960
Windows DAWs that work well in Wine (Linux)

I'm discovering Linux and found that it can load Windows software through Wine right in its OS. I think it's really cool!

Since I know there's a couple of producers here who work in Linux, I was wondering if you tried some DAWs that would work well in Wine?

I know Mixcraft works well, and through it you can load pretty much any windows VST plugins. I saw a guy on YouTube producing in it in Linux.

Does Wavosaur works well?

I know I can try this myself but I'd rather save a bit of time and ask.

Advertisements

------------------
SampleScienc is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to SampleScienc
Daggit (22-10-2017)
Old 22-10-2017, 05:00 AM   #2
st3aLth
Soundscaper
st3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 3410
Re: Windows DAWs that work well in Wine (Linux)

Cockos Reaper would work well on Wine
st3aLth is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2017, 06:38 AM   #3
logic7
Soundscaper
logic7 has a reputation beyond reputelogic7 has a reputation beyond reputelogic7 has a reputation beyond reputelogic7 has a reputation beyond reputelogic7 has a reputation beyond reputelogic7 has a reputation beyond reputelogic7 has a reputation beyond reputelogic7 has a reputation beyond reputelogic7 has a reputation beyond reputelogic7 has a reputation beyond reputelogic7 has a reputation beyond repute
someplace else
MC Status: 3528

IIRC Reaper is now a native Linux application so it should be available from your distro's repos.

energyXT is also a native Linux app. No need to run it in WINE when there's a native solution.

Years ago I ran FL6 under whatever version of Mandrake I was running at the time (either 2009 or 2010). I'm pretty sure newer versions should work with newer versions of WINE.
logic7 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to logic7
Daggit (22-10-2017)
Old 22-10-2017, 06:50 AM   #4
SampleScienc
Knob Twiddler
SampleScienc has a reputation beyond reputeSampleScienc has a reputation beyond reputeSampleScienc has a reputation beyond reputeSampleScienc has a reputation beyond reputeSampleScienc has a reputation beyond reputeSampleScienc has a reputation beyond reputeSampleScienc has a reputation beyond reputeSampleScienc has a reputation beyond reputeSampleScienc has a reputation beyond reputeSampleScienc has a reputation beyond reputeSampleScienc has a reputation beyond repute
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by logic7 View Post
IIRC Reaper is now a native Linux application so it should be available from your distro's repos.
Yeah, but the plugins aren't Linux native, so I still need to run Reaper via Wine to get access to my plugin collection. Unless there's something I'm missing? (it could very well be the case)

------------------
Thanks to SampleScienc
Daggit (22-10-2017)
Old 22-10-2017, 09:28 PM   #5
Daggit
Master of the LFO
Daggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond repute
"Let beauty loose!" --Nitzer Ebb
MC Status: 8560

I have not been able to get Wavosaur to work in Linux via WINE, unfortunately.

But OcenAudio 32-bit for Windows, Reaper 32-bit for Windows, r8brain, FLACdrop. Foobar2000, AudioMove, MP3 Direct Cut, PaulStretch, CoagulaLight, HOG, FL Studio 32-bit 10.09c (following the Linux instructions), EnergyXT 32-bit for Windows... all should work fine. FL Studio requires extra effort, however, due to the Windows Fonts needed.

------------------
{novel, fresh, different, recent, modern, unexampled}
Daggit is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Daggit
SampleScienc (24-10-2017)
Old 24-10-2017, 01:48 AM   #6
SampleScienc
Knob Twiddler
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daggit View Post
I have not been able to get Wavosaur to work in Linux via WINE, unfortunately.

But OcenAudio 32-bit for Windows, Reaper 32-bit for Windows, r8brain, FLACdrop. Foobar2000, AudioMove, MP3 Direct Cut, PaulStretch, CoagulaLight, HOG, FL Studio 32-bit 10.09c (following the Linux instructions), EnergyXT 32-bit for Windows... all should work fine. FL Studio requires extra effort, however, due to the Windows Fonts needed.
That's what I've read about Wavosaur on the WineHQ website. It's my go to audio editor and I use it a lot for batch processing because it keeps the loop points, something Audacity doesn't do unfortunately. I've been thinking about using SoX for batch processing, but I doubt it will leave the loop points intact. I might be wrong though.

------------------
Old 25-10-2017, 09:11 PM   #7
Daggit
Master of the LFO
Daggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond repute
"Let beauty loose!" --Nitzer Ebb
MC Status: 8560
FL STUDIO IN LINUX WINE

I forgot to mention that FL Studio 11 and 12 ought to also partially work if you follow the specific instructions for Linux. Mainly, first you have to install the Windows Core Fonts into the fake c:\Windows\Fonts directory nested within your /home/username/.wine/ area. It won't be there until you start at least one Windows or Wine program, such as /opt/wine-staging/bin/winecfg

But after the wine area is created, you can copy the .ttf (true type font) files from your old Windows archives into that folder (c:\Windows\Fonts) and restart the computer.

Without the essential fonts, FL Studio is unusable. And other programs need those fonts as well. There are supposed to be some debian install files for acquiring the Microsoft Core Fonts, but the installer is buggy and fails lately. So the best way to get the fonts these days is directly from a Windows archive or install (legally, I think you can do this if you are the owner). Put them on a flash drive and copy the fonts over. TTF fonts are cross-platform; it doesn't matter whether MacOS or Windows or Linux.

The more basic fonts you copy over, the more natural some web pages will appear also.

As mentioned elsewhere, some programs will require Mono and Gecko. If I remember correctly, Mono is the Linux substitute for .NET Framework and Gecko allows wine programs to use the internet.

In the past, the FL Studio installer would crash without one or both of those. I'm not sure if that's still the case though.

After you get the fonts installed, from a Linux console terminal, type "regedit" and wait for the Linux equivalent of the Windows Registry Editor to load up. Then, go to the file menu and import your FL Studio license (the "regKey.reg" type of file). If you don't have one, you can download it from your ImageLine account.

After it tells you the file imported, then you can quit RegEdit and the FL Studio installer ought to run quite alright. If it doesn't you might not have the right type of wine installed or it's too old. You might be able to remedy this by installing missing .DLL files, but it's typically kinda of tedious to do this and it doesn't always work. I'm not really sure, but it also might make Wine a little bit instable. Personally, I find the best approach is to always use wine-staging, as that's the most up to date wine.

Also, after you get wine installed, you should turn off the automatic updates from within the Software & Updates shortcut in the Linux application menu. The wine automatic upgrades seem to break wine lately. It's safer to manually upgrade wine, and only when you feel like it. Wine is constantly being improved and it's not worth risking breakage for every single little incremental upgrade. So only upgrade wine if you feel like something might actually get fixed. You can always read the release notes on the winehq.org website.

ASIO4ALL, doesn't seem to work fully on Linux, although it does partially load, so maybe on some systems it might work, but I doubt it. FL Studio ASIO does work, and it works pretty nicely, even in other programs beyond FL Studio, such as Reaper or EnergyXT.

The FL Studio Downloader might work, I haven't tried it. I've had issues with it being buggy for certain VST instruments, such as Toxic Biohazard, so I try to avoid it.

One thing that might make things easier, is whenever you need to put stuff into a directory, try not to use directory names that have spaces or underscores or other wierd characters in them. Sometimes Wine or Linux can't get past those gaps and links and shortcuts will fail. So if you can, create a folder called "Programs" or "PortableApps" or whatever, and use that whenever you can.

I was successfully able to put all of my non-installer based Windows programs into "c:\Programs" and then created my "\VSTplugins" folder inside of that. It works just fine. My installer programs still go into "c:\Program Files\" or "c:\Program Files (x86)\" but I try to steer away from that.

Windows .LNK shortcuts don't work the same way in Linux, also, so although some programs need them to be created and even some Linux desktop shortcuts use them somehow, they aren't user-friendly.

But you can still manually create Linux shortcuts such as
Code:
/opt/wine-staging/bin/wine "C:\Programs\SearchMyFiles\SearchMyFiles.exe"
The quotation marks are usually necessary. .MSI files use the same syntax.

------------------
{novel, fresh, different, recent, modern, unexampled}
Daggit is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2017, 08:29 AM   #8
logic7
Soundscaper
logic7 has a reputation beyond reputelogic7 has a reputation beyond reputelogic7 has a reputation beyond reputelogic7 has a reputation beyond reputelogic7 has a reputation beyond reputelogic7 has a reputation beyond reputelogic7 has a reputation beyond reputelogic7 has a reputation beyond reputelogic7 has a reputation beyond reputelogic7 has a reputation beyond reputelogic7 has a reputation beyond repute
someplace else
MC Status: 3528

Quote:
Originally Posted by SampleScienc View Post
Yeah, but the plugins aren't Linux native, so I still need to run Reaper via Wine to get access to my plugin collection. Unless there's something I'm missing? (it could very well be the case)
There's a vsti wrapper for Linux. I haven't tried it out yet but have a look anyway.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
logic7 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to logic7
Daggit (30-10-2017)
Old 30-10-2017, 04:11 PM   #9
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 20010

bitwig

Advertisements

joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to joem
Daggit (30-10-2017)