How to listen music at safe levels ? discuss - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 21-05-2017, 09:18 PM   #21
-Agu-
Knob Twiddler
-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute
Helsinki
MC Status: 4560
Re: How to listen music at safe levels ? discuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by D42K732202 View Post
ok i understand, but headphones are pretty good (beyerdynamic 770 80 ohm), still not ok ?
Can't say for sure because haven't ever used them. They are studio headphones however. They are meant to sound "neutral", instead of "healthy".

Try out some quality gaming headphones sometime. They are designed to be used continuously for hours and hours, and you can hear it. Sub is ridiculously big on some of them (even my 60 ones have bigger sub than any "music" headphones I've ever used) and the high end is really crispy. They make sound effects in games (gunshots, footsteps etc. ) sound so much in you face that you don't want to push them too loud. Which is partially the reason why you can end up playing a non-stop shooter with them for 5 hours straight without getting ear fatigue (you can just take your cans off and talk to a person in the same room and hear him perfectly etc.).

Advertisements

------------------
-Agu- is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 11:06 PM   #22
mnw
Minor Glitch
mnw is just really nicemnw is just really nicemnw is just really nicemnw is just really nicemnw is just really nice
MC Status: 410

Quote:
doesnt it break down to how much energy is delivered to eardrum ? if i hear sound at same level as normal speech at 1m distance both in headphones and with speakers is there any difference ? can you explain how headphones damage more ? because ive been told this over thousand times and im still skeptical
I don't know the exact science behind it so you're probably right to be skeptical. I've just heard this from someone who I trust and I have also found it to be true anecdotally so take that how you will :-)
mnw is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 09:13 AM   #23
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6903809
Thanked 3,492 Times in 2,115 Posts

85dB spl. Any higher than that it's just a matter of limiting exposure. General rule, for every 55 minutes of sound, enjoy 5 minutes of silence, or at least not loudness.
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 05:30 AM   #24
Vault O)))
Savage Mad Cunt
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 41960

I'm an old fart when it comes to music, I guess. If it's audible, I'm happy. Lower is always better, and sometimes I wonder why I used to crank everything so loud when I was younger.

Quote:
are you hinting im schizophrenic ?
No, that part wasn't a joke and didn't have anything to do with that at all.

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:40 AM   #25
fidelium
IDMf Artist
fidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MC
\(_o)/
MC Status: 2147483647
Thanked 3,449 Times in 1,903 Posts

jaded is correct and we could just close this thread now and leave it.

there also apps for this. dB readers and also legit information. oh and there are also these things called search engines. super new but they are gaining in popularity these days.

protect your ears. or not, whatever.
fidelium is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to fidelium
A.M (23-10-2017)
Old 18-10-2017, 07:38 PM   #26
Daggit
Master of the LFO
Daggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond repute
"Let beauty loose!" --Nitzer Ebb
MC Status: 8560

It makes absolutely no sense to turn the music up if you're in a loud environment. What you ought to do is turn off the music, put in earplugs, and leave the loud environment as soon as you can. Save your hearing. Deafness and hearing damage statistics are up amongst youngsters because of recent trends. People who live in the city usually have worse hearing than those in the rural places. Try to get good rest at night and wear earplugs when you sleep so your ears and auditory brain sections can rest and recuperate. I learned this stuff from a professional audiologist/psychoacoustics professor.

Also, I noticed when you start needing to turn up the music to hear it better, it actually means that you need to turn it DOWN or OFF. It means that your ears are getting tired or the music wasn't mixed that well, or both.

Also, if you've been working on tough music for several days, give yourself the next week off. It can take longer than 24 hours for hearing to recover from a TTS (temporary threshold shift).

And when composing music, the more extreme bass low end you add to the tune, the lower the volume will need to be to sound good, due to the Fletcher-Munson type of loudness curves of human hearing. This applies somewhat to the treble too. This is one of the reasons why EQ affects loudness perception. Good EQ will make lower-amplitude music seem louder in addition to actually making it somewhat louder in terms of mathematical raw decibels.

And other stuff can save your hearing too. Don't go to loud concerts, stay away from busses or trains and construction sites, and factories, don't blast the shower water, don't mow the lawn, don't use a leafblower, don't be around power tools, don't use guns, etc.

When you think about it, all those places are high-stress environments anyhow, except for maybe some concerts. So you're not missing out on anything.

------------------
{novel, fresh, different, recent, modern, unexampled}
Daggit is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Daggit
relic (18-10-2017)
Old 20-10-2017, 05:57 AM   #27
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC
MC Status: 7237429

Quote:
ok i understand, but headphones are pretty good (beyerdynamic 770 80 ohm), still not ok ?
The main factors are:

A: The headphones and your ear essentially form a closed system. With normal speakers, when air would hit your ear, the resistance it meets redirects some of it elsewhere. With headphones, the air has nowhere else to go.
B: You cannot adjust the direction the sound is coming from. With speakers, you will move your body and tilt your head differently, causing a difference in how the sound hits your ears. With headphones the sound comes from the same direction and same distance constantly, easily leading to fatigue.
C: Due to restricted airflow and warm/humid environment, headphones strongly promote the growth of bacteria. This can easily lead to infections that can damage your hearing.

Having open headphones can help to remedy two of these factors (A and C). B is not fixable with headphones.

------------------
Blingley is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 07:38 AM   #28
White Noise
Eternal Echoer
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 21360

I'm no professional, but I looked into sleeping with earplugs at one point and decided against it because ear wax is supposed to drain out all the time, including while you sleep. So scheduling a part of the day to prevent that can lead to issues like clogs and infection that I'm already more prone than normal to because of Diabeetus. I notice I have a problem with comfort just wearing earplugs or earbuds/IEMs for more than about 5 minutes.

------------------
Also, check this out. Updated 10-27-17.

White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 10:46 AM   #29
Iyashi Sound
Microknight
Iyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 4560

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Noise View Post
I'm no professional, but I looked into sleeping with earplugs .. can lead to issues like clogs and infection.
Indeed.

I sweat when I sleep, and with nowhere to go the sweat rapidly becomes a skin-irritant, causing eczema/dermatitis and excessive ear wax production, which in turn sets up the scene for infections and other nastiness.

So yeah, my body basically treats the earplugs like foreign objects that need to be expelled, which in a sense is just what they are.

In my opinion it's much better to find a nice, quiet place to sleep.
Iyashi Sound is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 11:21 AM   #30
Entox
Deep Underground
Entox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond repute
Bristol
MC Status: 2184

WHAT, SORRY YOU WILL HAVE TO SPEAK UP, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!

In all seriousness i do play my music fairly loud, but not to the extent of being overly loud.

Your body is here to be used, use it!

------------------
Entox is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2017, 12:59 AM   #31
jimmusician
Deep Underground
jimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8798

To be honest, most music is engineered "FUCKING LOUD!" Abs that's as in with a car stereo I can hear the music crystal clear when it's down to nill (think of 10 as standard loudness, 13 as unbearable, and when I'm doing other things like getting gas it's down to 3 and still audible).

So you're concerned with loudness. Well, you're not going to find out until after, really. If you're going to loud rock concerts regularly, you've already done damage. Basically I'd say if you find your ears ringing after any listening, it's time to evaluate what you were doing. Maybe it'll be boring tho. Just take care of yourself is what I can offer.

Advertisements

jimmusician is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote