What Decade is this?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 19-09-2017, 07:55 PM   #1
DoomBrain
Analog Lurker
DoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 710
What Decade is this?

Not that I listen to the charts now but WTF! is going on with the dance music within "popular" music today?

Checking on the top dance chart (UK) today, which seems to be a mixture of sell out producers collaborating with singers. All the tracks have vocals and the electronic sounds used are pathetic regurgitated samples with no creativity.

Furthermore, I can't seem to figure out what defines this decade, which is probably a well known thought for most people on here but at least with the 2000's there was some decent tracks which defined it.

For me the 90's had the best releases and music scene, it would be pleasing if something of that nature would be brought back to life now.

It seems the only method to obtain decent new music is off the radar from the mainstream.

Advertisements

DoomBrain is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 10:06 PM   #2
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8541180
Thanked 7,005 Times in 4,978 Posts
Re: What Decade is this?

So you want us to go backwards to the 90s but are complaining about reguritated samples and sounds? Pop music--even pop dance music--has always been vocal heavy. Nothing defines a decade until the decade is over. That is always a viewpoint made in retrospect.

Classic house and techno sounds--from the 90s--are arguably more popular and more well known now than ever.

Old guy complaining about new music and wishing for the music of their youth to come back into style is a story as old as music. When has mainstream ever not been watered down and easily repeatable?

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 11:24 PM   #3
Artificer
Digital Surfer
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 33560

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomBrain View Post
It seems the only method to obtain decent new music is off the radar from the mainstream.
Pop music has always been simplistic and boring and watered down to appeal to the masses. It was true during the Renaissance, it was true in the 50s, and it was true last year. It's sort of the definition of pop music. Just be glad there's easy avenues these days to find things you like. Tape trading and word of mouth makes for slow dissemination.

------------------
"It doesn't dry out your skin like soap doesn't."

- Dirk Colon, 2017
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 12:51 AM   #4
Vault O)))
Savage Mad Cunt
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 41710

It's not weird to dislike pop music, but leave the kids who like it alone, willya?

This reminds me of those weird country folk infomercials on PBS where the old, bearded dudes chime in on 'pop music today' as if they have any fucking idea of how to appreciate it.

I don't get it, personally, but whatever gets someone off is their own thing. If I could turn on the radio and be amused, I'd be the happiest man alive probably.
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Vault O)))
relic (20-09-2017)
Old 20-09-2017, 01:08 AM   #5
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault O))) View Post
It's not weird to dislike pop music, but leave the kids who like it alone, willya?

This reminds me of those weird country folk infomercials on PBS where the old, bearded dudes chime in on 'pop music today' as if they have any fucking idea of how to appreciate it.

I don't get it, personally, but whatever gets someone off is their own thing. If I could turn on the radio and be amused, I'd be the happiest man alive probably.
I totally used to be a person that complained about the music other people listened to or insert other media. It's really a waste of energy. As @[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
says...maybe if it was back in the day when it was harder or very hard (depending on your age ;p) to find underground music you could make an argument for complaining about access to something besides what is popular, but now you can just ignore it and dive into any obscured sub genre you like, given you have access to the internet.

------------------
Old 20-09-2017, 01:54 AM   #6
Dr. Sleaze
Microknight
Dr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond repute
I'm not who or where you think I am.
MC Status: 4010

The thing about 90's dance music was, that alot of it, if not most of it was being made by bands or groups of people, as apposed to today's lone producer.

As to what decade this is. Well, it's the decade of autotune.
Dr. Sleaze is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 02:33 AM   #7
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

^Very true. Way more collaboration back in the day from what I know. Which is a lot academically, but nothing in personal experience so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

And the sad thing is all the times I've brought someone in the studio it has been a super awkward process : ( But I'm sure that is something you have to develop over time.

------------------
Thanks to relic
Dr. Sleaze (20-09-2017)
Old 20-09-2017, 03:09 AM   #8
Dr. Sleaze
Microknight
Dr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond repute
I'm not who or where you think I am.
MC Status: 4010

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
^Very true. Way more collaboration back in the day from what I know. Which is a lot academically, but nothing in personal experience so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

And the sad thing is all the times I've brought someone in the studio it has been a super awkward process : ( But I'm sure that is something you have to develop over time.
Just youtube the stuff that was in the charts at that time, KLF, Praga Khan, S Express, Dee Lite, C&C Music Factory, Snap, 2 Unlimited, Faithless, Utah Saints, Prodigy, N-Trance, M People, Soul 2 Soul, Technotronic, Daft Punk to name a few.

The thing with colaberation, is that because it's not really necessary these days, people are less likely to make comprimises, so it becomes more difficult, back then if you wanted to make music, you pretty much needed to be in a band because of the expense of equiptment.
Dr. Sleaze is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Dr. Sleaze
relic (20-09-2017)
Old 20-09-2017, 07:22 AM   #9
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744031441
Thanked 7,280 Times in 4,524 Posts

Please try harder.

------------------
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 10:54 AM   #10
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222282884
Thanked 2,634 Times in 1,755 Posts

Look Dr. Sleaze, you're just hating because you're jealous you can't do any better.

No really though I do think pop music now is demonstrably more awful than what has gone before it. It's definitely had all variety in sound smashed out of it. One thing is true though its super boring to talk about it you just hate it from a distance and never bother to mention it because its either a given or you're talking to the wrong lads. Im serious when I say that a pop tune will come on in a shop that im in and ill get actually angry and say something to my girlfriend like 'fuck me I cannot believe this dog shit... I just... I just cant fucking believe it' and she will ignore me cause im being a boring cunt and she's only with me for my prize winning legs anyway. There we goooooo

Edit: *award winning. There was no prize. The prize is having the legs.

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to FunkMasterBrown
relic (21-09-2017)
Old 21-09-2017, 01:44 AM   #11
White Noise
Eternal Echoer
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 21310

Eh, pop gets filtered by time. We have to put up the the "laughing gnome" by david bowie to get "space oddity" by david bowie. I promise you that you can dig into the music of any decade and dredge up some garbage. I think there is more now, but no less good music either. But I kinda am digging a 90s house vibe in my projects right now, so I'm not gonna fight you on that.

It's 2017, for the love of christ do not listen to the radio, we've all convinced ourselves we're not pirates if we stream the music for free.

------------------
Also, check this out. Updated 10-27-17.

White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 01:47 AM   #12
White Noise
Eternal Echoer
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 21310

Oh, I forgot I was interested in this because clearly the sound that defines this decade is gonna be that bass dub thing. "Sail" is the most obvious example to me right now, don't know who it's by. But yeah, that shit got into pretty much all EDM, which dominated the live scene, and a good amount of pop and alternative. Also, "Madness" by Muse.

Advertisements

------------------
Also, check this out. Updated 10-27-17.

White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote