32 bit VS 64 bit : WHO WINS?! - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 24-02-2017, 07:03 AM   #41
Valk
Microknight
Valk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 3110
Re: 32 bit VS 64 bit : WHO WINS?!

@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Which plugins do you use that are only 32-bit?

The plugin I miss the most right now is Magical8bitPlug

Advertisements

------------------
check out my Nest in progress
Valk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 07:16 AM   #42
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 183810
Thanked 3,676 Times in 2,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valk View Post

The plugin I miss the most right now is Magical8bitPlug

You do know you can still get Magical8bitPlug [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
, don't you? Then it's just a case of bridging it over on your 64 bit system, using the likes of [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
on a Windows-based system. If you have a Mac, then just download the 64bit version for the same.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 02:31 PM   #43
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65460
Thanked 1,309 Times in 987 Posts
Icon2 Re: 32 bit VS 64 bit : WHO WINS?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valk View Post

Many of the Terry West plugins, lookahead limiiter, some of my favorite EQ plugins (sorry ican't remember the names offhand), some FL Studio instruments, Vember Surge VSTi synth, Poise drum VSTi, HighLife, ShortCircuit.

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 06:42 PM   #44
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nystagmus View Post
Many of the Terry West plugins, lookahead limiiter, some of my favorite EQ plugins (sorry ican't remember the names offhand), some FL Studio instruments, Vember Surge VSTi synth, Poise drum VSTi, HighLife, ShortCircuit.

Seriously, Ny..get [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
..it's not that expensive at all.. I have it and am running all of Terry's plugs on my 64bit system without any problems at all.

------------------
Thanks to A.M
Nystagmus (24-02-2017)
Old 24-02-2017, 07:41 PM   #45
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
Icon9 Re: 32 bit VS 64 bit : WHO WINS?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
Seriously, Ny..get [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
..it's not that expensive at all.. I have it and am running all of Terry's plugs on my 64bit system without any problems at all.
It's no problem, with Reaper, I can probably just use both versions, 64-bit or 32-bit. I'm really low on cash these days. I'm hoping to be able to just get some basic gear again. I've got all the softwares I need, but at this point I need headphones and a linear DAC/monitors. But I can't buy anything yet if I have to move someplace else right away. I kinda need my homelife to settle down. But I hear what you are saying. jBridge sounds cool and cheap. So maybe eventually, yeah. Thanks.

------------------

Old 24-02-2017, 07:45 PM   #46
A.M

Quote:
It's no problem, with Reaper, I can probably just use both versions, 64-bit or 32-bit. I'm really low on cash these days. I'm hoping to be able to just get some basic gear again. I've got all the softwares I need, but at this point I need headphones and a linear DAC/monitors. But I can't buy anything yet if I have to move someplace else right away. I kinda need my homelife to settle down. But I hear what you are saying. jBridge sounds cool and cheap. So maybe eventually, yeah. Thanks.

I hear you, man..some things need to come first, obviously..usually the things in life money can't buy.

Hope the important stuff works out for you, man..trust me, I've been there myself and wouldn't wish it on anyone. Be strong and you'll make it through this phase of your life.

Always remember, when things look their darkest.."This, too, shall pass."

------------------
Thanks to A.M
Nystagmus (27-02-2017)
Old 27-02-2017, 02:42 AM   #47
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
Icon3 64-bit Linux is OK and working thus far in early 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
I hear you, man..some things need to come first, obviously..usually the things in life money can't buy.

Hope the important stuff works out for you, man..trust me, I've been there myself and wouldn't wish it on anyone. Be strong and you'll make it through this phase of your life.

Always remember, when things look their darkest.."This, too, shall pass."
Hey, thanks A.M. I really appreciate your helpful comments.

Lately, over the weekend, I've been forging ahead with my DAW stuff anyhow. I figure that even if my housing stuff is chaotic, I gotta have some kind of fun and science in my life and perhaps a shot at making tunes to sell online.

My Lubuntu Linux DAW almost works pretty well, yet due to some technical limitations of Lubuntu, I will probably go back to Ubuntu Studio or Xubuntu.

The cool thing is, I got all of my essential stuff backed up on DVD-ROMs and a flash drive, so at this point it's pretty easy to ditch any OS I have at any time and try something different.

What I'm thinking about doing next is trying a "rolling release" of some type of Linux, so that I don't have to wait so many months or years for application updates.

Another nice thing...
This was my first try using a 64-bit Linux with my Windows softwares running on Wine. There didn't seem to be any problems at all in that regard. So I'm onward into 64-bit territory.

Something about working with Linux is kind of fun, so it also helps relax me and the skills are transferable to other stuff. I think maybe someday in the future I might try and join or start a business of selling Linux DAW computers on used computer gerar.

------------------

Old 27-02-2017, 02:49 AM   #48
A.M
Re: 64-bit Linux is OK and working thus far in early 2017

Quote:
Hey, thanks A.M. I really appreciate your helpful comments.

Lately, over the weekend, I've been forging ahead with my DAW stuff anyhow. I figure that even if my housing stuff is chaotic, I gotta have some kind of fun and science in my life and perhaps a shot at making tunes to sell online.

My Lubuntu Linux DAW almost works pretty well, yet due to some technical limitations of Lubuntu, I will probably go back to Ubuntu Studio or Xubuntu.

The cool thing is, I got all of my essential stuff backed up on DVD-ROMs and a flash drive, so at this point it's pretty easy to ditch any OS I have at any time and try something different.

What I'm thinking about doing next is trying a "rolling release" of some type of Linux, so that I don't have to wait so many months or years for application updates.

Another nice thing...
This was my first try using a 64-bit Linux with my Windows softwares running on Wine. There didn't seem to be any problems at all in that regard. So I'm onward into 64-bit territory.

Something about working with Linux is kind of fun, so it also helps relax me and the skills are transferable to other stuff. I think maybe someday in the future I might try and join or start a business of selling Linux DAW computers on used computer gerar.
Hey, you're welcome.

Regarding Linux..I used to run Linux Mint Mate//found it to be a really stable distro..one of the best Linux distros I've ever tried. If you haven't already, then maybe give that one a try.

------------------
Thanks to A.M
Nystagmus (27-02-2017)
Old 04-03-2017, 10:01 PM   #49
pavleas
Microknight
pavleas is a glorious beacon of lightpavleas is a glorious beacon of lightpavleas is a glorious beacon of lightpavleas is a glorious beacon of lightpavleas is a glorious beacon of light
Athens
MC Status: 460

imho i would say 32 bit wins. Not much experience here, but with 32 bit (at least on FL) you have more functionality in terms of some VSTs. With 32 bit there is nothing you can't do, but with 64 bit i am not ab;e to use some vst plugins. I might be wrong tho.

------------------
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐ ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐ ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
https://soundcloud.com/pavleas/excep...ion-3-by-knkuc
pavleas is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 01:35 AM   #50
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavleas View Post
imho i would say 32 bit wins. Not much experience here, but with 32 bit (at least on FL) you have more functionality in terms of some VSTs. With 32 bit there is nothing you can't do, but with 64 bit i am not ab;e to use some vst plugins. I might be wrong tho.

I understand where you're coming from on this, but trust me..you might want to read up on the differences between 32 bit and 64 bit systems. In effect, what you're saying here is the same as saying you think a Trabant..

..is a better car than a Maserati Levante..

..just because the cigarette lighter works in the Trabant, but doesn't if you take it out of the Trabant and try to plug it into the Maserati Levante..

Seriously, do a little more reading on the subject..the reason your VSTs work on your 32 bit system, is because they are 32 bit versions. Getting them to work on a 64 bit system is as simple as getting a copy of [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
(..costs about $15) and use that to run them.

It really makes little sense to not upgrade your system to a 64 bit one if you can afford it, as more and more software producers are moving to cater to the 64 bit market. Some are even already talking about stopping support for 32 bit systems altogether!

Keep in mind there may be some downsides to having a 64 bit system..and / or running a 64 bit OS..mainly drivers for certain things could be hard to find..some older software might not work at all, even with the likes of jBridge..and some older hardware you already own, or that is being sold off cheap in stores, might not be compatible..but as long as you keep your eyes open and check these things out, then they really shouldn't be that much of an issue in reality. It honestly isn't as bad as it used to be when the first 64 bit systems came out..and things are only getting better.

------------------
Thanks to A.M
hellscion (31-03-2017)
Old 07-09-2017, 06:10 PM   #51
Daggit
Master of the LFO
Daggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond repute
"Let beauty loose!" --Nitzer Ebb
MC Status: 8560

Lately I started testing more 64-bit OSes and 64-bit softwares and 64-bit VST(i)'s.
Almost every time, the 32-bit versions are more stable for all the above.
Even the programmers/authors on their websites and in their version notes usually mention that 64-bit versions are harder to implement or less supported because of backwards compatiblity problems and even some forwards compatibility problems and other reasons.

Also, some of my all-time favorite plugin modules are 32-bit, actually ALL OF THEM.
I'm sticking with 32-bit.

------------------
{novel, fresh, different, recent, modern, unexampled}
Daggit is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:18 PM   #52
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
My own little world
MC Status: 1837627

Wow I've been full 64bit with jbridge since win launched it way back when. Have not looked back and there's a hello of a lot of plug ins. So 64bit wins. Only jbridge older waves 8 licensed dlls, a couple of G-Sonique and if needed vanguard, bootsy's and the various indi developer freebie of today and yester year.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

------------------
MFXxx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to MFXxx
A.M (08-09-2017)
Old 08-09-2017, 12:13 PM   #53
A.M

Yeah, I'm sticking with 64 bit, too..it really blows 32 bit out of the water and gives you more freedom when it comes to producing in general.

To all of you who think 32 bit is better..I'm happy for you and I hope you continue to be happy with your setup and what it offers. If it works for you, then why change?

It's less about which is best and more a case of which is best of you individually.

@ Daggit: I don't know what 64 bit OSs you've been running, but my Windows 7 Pro 64 bit system is as stable as they come..and so, too, are ALL the 64 bit plugins I'm running on it..and the 32 bits ones, too. In fact, that's the common experiences of everyone I've ever bumped into in the past who has a 64 bit system..honestly.

A lot also depends on the system you're running a 64 bit OS on..or trying to. Older computers will are going to give you issues..not because there's something wrong with the 64 bit OS..but due to the hardware it's being run on being so dated.

And as for what 32 bit software developers say on their sites or in release notes..well, they would knock 64 bit, wouldn't they..because they either can't make the changes and don't want to lose face or they just couldn't be bothered to do so!

Think about it..if you're developing software and there's an ever-growing market out there for a 64 bit version..if you could produce a 64 bit version you would, as it's only good business to do so..you benefit..the customer benefits from your product..and the business grows as a direct result. To know you have a growing market-base of users out there that need a 64 bit version of your product, but you refuse to supply the same is basically dumb, to say to the least.

Last edited by A.M; 08-09-2017 at 12:21 PM..

------------------
Old 08-09-2017, 12:42 PM   #54
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 20010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daggit View Post
Lately I started testing more 64-bit OSes and 64-bit softwares and 64-bit VST(i)'s.
Almost every time, the 32-bit versions are more stable for all the above.
Even the programmers/authors on their websites and in their version notes usually mention that 64-bit versions are harder to implement or less supported because of backwards compatiblity problems and even some forwards compatibility problems and other reasons.

Also, some of my all-time favorite plugin modules are 32-bit, actually ALL OF THEM.
I'm sticking with 32-bit.
its because your working off a second hand laptop that has less processing power in it than my toothbrush.

Last edited by joem; 08-09-2017 at 01:02 PM..
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 03:54 PM   #55
Inna Selez
Analog Lurker
Inna Selez is a jewel in the roughInna Selez is a jewel in the roughInna Selez is a jewel in the roughInna Selez is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 310

Using 32-bit version on my laptop and PC. One friend keep telling me to install 64-bit, cuz it's better. But I`m too lazy change OS, especially if it works fine.
Inna Selez is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 04:56 PM   #56
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 25960

16-bit plugins sound more analog

/thread

------------------
mnkvolcno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to mnkvolcno
A.M (08-09-2017)
Old 08-09-2017, 06:21 PM   #57
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
My own little world
MC Status: 1837627

Everything is circumstantial to the individual, relative to their own perspective and relevant if needs are fulfilled. Anything beyond is irrelevant unless you find you need it....then it's time to answer your own questions cause everyone else is in the same boat of circumstantial perceptiveness x

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Last edited by MFXxx; 08-09-2017 at 09:05 PM..

Advertisements

------------------
MFXxx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to MFXxx
A.M (08-09-2017)