Bedroom Studio Mixing - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Go Back Ľ The Studio Ľ The Studio
Old 05-07-2017, 09:04 PM   #21
Artificer
Digital Surfer
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 33560
Re: Bedroom Studio Mixing

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
Understand gain staging when recording audio sources: run your line in to between -12 and -6 dB with mixer fader at 0. The scale is logarithmic, so this is where you get the most fine tuning.
This is such a huge deal, even if you're just printing VSTs. The quality of a recording can get worse, but it rarely if ever gets better. Gain staging makes sure your stuff sounds like it's supposed to sound at a volume you can work with.

I think the two biggest things that contribute to a professional sound are the understanding and application of gain staging and EQ.

Advertisements

Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:30 AM   #22
servicesp
IDMf's latest spammer
servicesp is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Itís a more extreme version of the previous tip, as the room literally plays no part in your listening experience.
servicesp is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 06:11 PM   #23
Deadly Rhythm
Analog Lurker
Deadly Rhythm has a reputation beyond reputeDeadly Rhythm has a reputation beyond reputeDeadly Rhythm has a reputation beyond reputeDeadly Rhythm has a reputation beyond reputeDeadly Rhythm has a reputation beyond reputeDeadly Rhythm has a reputation beyond reputeDeadly Rhythm has a reputation beyond reputeDeadly Rhythm has a reputation beyond reputeDeadly Rhythm has a reputation beyond reputeDeadly Rhythm has a reputation beyond reputeDeadly Rhythm has a reputation beyond repute
Norfolk
MC Status: 2060

Mixing at a low volume is a good thing.
Deadly Rhythm is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2017, 06:35 AM   #24
Khasai
Regular Freak
Khasai is a splendid one to beholdKhasai is a splendid one to beholdKhasai is a splendid one to beholdKhasai is a splendid one to beholdKhasai is a splendid one to beholdKhasai is a splendid one to beholdKhasai is a splendid one to behold
Daly City
MC Status: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillDarling View Post
Hey y'all,

8) Keep your bookshelf

A well-stocked bookshelf can act as a useful diffuser. Itís not the same as a real diffuser, but itís a decent home brew option, particularly if you already have one in place!

So happy to have a reason to hold onto all my books. Now I don't have to just tell my fiance I plan on reading them someday. Now its contributing to an optimal acoustic environment.

If I had a piece of advice about having a bedroom studio it would be to try and treat it as a work space if you want to get things done there. The more I've made my desk a place to make music and removed other distractions the more projects I've actually finished.
Khasai is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2017, 02:16 PM   #25
Daggit
Master of the LFO
Daggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond repute
"Let beauty loose!" --Nitzer Ebb
MC Status: 8560

Make sure yours goes to 11.
Multiply the universe by elevens, man.
Daggit is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2017, 10:59 PM   #26
destinationsoun
Minor Glitch
destinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 810

Lots of advice here. most good Some seem to come from google searches and youtube videos?

I have a friend who makes a living fixing rooms and helping small to big rooms sounds better. He said 80% of the time he walks into a room, tests it, and removes the corner bass traps. It's a huge internet trend to trap the corners and he said many many rooms just don't need it.

That said some treatment is good, but without the knowledge of amount and placement, your room will just sound different not better.

Getting used to the space your in is the best bet. For example, spend a month straight listening to all your favorite albums in your room on your speakers. Then spend some time listening to your music and comparing the level of bass to other instruments and to vocals. This way you will learn how your room makes other's music sound.

Another tip is to always A/B your music to other's you think sound good, when mixing. This way the relationship of tones will more correct.

Headphones are always good. I tend to listen part of the time in phones no matter where I am just as a secondary reference

The final suggestion is to get your ipod, iphone (or back in the day the CD player) ready, and take the mix to your car. Heck for some mixes and mastering I actually take the laptop to my car and mix. The reason is i spend alot of time in my car, so I understand the speakers really well.

Hope these help

p.s. there's no magic answer either. I remember hearing that Kanye West had the engineers remix a song of his over 20+ times because he would take it into a certain club or friend's studio and think it didn't sound good enough lol. Bottom line no one will ever be 100% satisfied with a mix, we just need to become ok with good enough
destinationsoun is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2017, 02:48 PM   #27
Mario D
Sample Destroyer
Mario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond repute
Croatia
MC Status: 2960

I use phone headophones, much better ones and monitors when I'm finishing song. It needs to sound good on all 3.

Advertisements

------------------
Mario D is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote