Mastering, in general 2017 - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 05-07-2017, 10:05 PM   #21
Lotus_Jewel
Radial Developer
Lotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond repute
Earth
MC Status: 2810
Re: Mastering, in general 2017

and its all in the waveform too... as you can hear it, feel it and even see it...

I hate reading... to be honest. I learn more by watching and doing. hearing and seeing the change made. so i cant really say all these books will help you, I think spending time in the environment will help anyone decide here what they need to do to get their highest quality possible.

Advertisements

Lotus_Jewel is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 10:22 PM   #22
Mario D
Sample Destroyer
Mario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond repute
Croatia
MC Status: 2960

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
If someone thinks like that..that they are only armature and they work doesn't need to be polished to the best standard that it can be, then they will always remain at the armature level. Every famous artist out there was once armature, too..think about that for a moment.
We are talking about volins, pianos and all kinds of strings here, I mean, ok master if you like. My opinion is, that there is no need.
First of all, if you are an amatuer, you probably have a turd on your hand, you can't polish a turd, you're just waisting money. Second, when you feel like your turd is becoming a flower, sure, polish it up, by that time you might as well send your songs to a profesional and sell it possibly.
I would personaly think like you if i had a studio and lived of mastering people tracks (Im not implying you do). I make new track every 2 weeks, and my tracks are turds. I wouldnt pay a dime to master them right now. If I had anythink from that, to sell them or just personal enjoyment, if it would made me satisfied, sure. But this is my hobby, and I really have no need to master them profesionally. Nuon rec contacted me 2 days ago for Amazed track, free mastering? Sure man, great. You are gonna sell it on sites? Now there is a real need to master them.

But like this, no need imo, just pure personal thing if you want it or not.

------------------
Mario D is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Mario D
A.M (06-07-2017)
Old 06-07-2017, 02:07 PM   #23
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 183860
Thanked 3,677 Times in 2,739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario D View Post
We are talking about volins, pianos and all kinds of strings here, I mean, ok master if you like. My opinion is, that there is no need.
First of all, if you are an amatuer, you probably have a turd on your hand, you can't polish a turd, you're just waisting money. Second, when you feel like your turd is becoming a flower, sure, polish it up, by that time you might as well send your songs to a profesional and sell it possibly.
I would personaly think like you if i had a studio and lived of mastering people tracks (Im not implying you do). I make new track every 2 weeks, and my tracks are turds. I wouldnt pay a dime to master them right now. If I had anythink from that, to sell them or just personal enjoyment, if it would made me satisfied, sure. But this is my hobby, and I really have no need to master them profesionally. Nuon rec contacted me 2 days ago for Amazed track, free mastering? Sure man, great. You are gonna sell it on sites? Now there is a real need to master them.

But like this, no need imo, just pure personal thing if you want it or not.
OK..sorry..I misunderstood you..I think. I took it you were saying you don't need to master unless it's for a club or something..and then only certain genres really need to be mastered.

But yeah, I do agree with you..there's little point spending money on mastering if it's a turd..but then my replies here have always been coming from the stance that you NEED mastering if you want to do ANYTHING other than listen to your own stuff at home or on your phone.

Basically, if you're thinking of doing something remotely pro with your work..regardless of genre, then you really need to think seriously about it being mastered.

Now, the question of do you or does somebody else do the mastering if a different question altogether. Honestly..I'd go with getting somebody else to do it to start, while you try to learn the skills needed yourself.

As Lotus_Jewel suggested..take a track of your own and pay to have it mastered by somebody else..a human, not some automated service. In the meantime try to master it yourself until you think you have it as good as you can get..then compare the two.

I'd add to this suggestion that you take it a step further and give the two copies to somebody else and have them do a blind test on both for you..don;t tell them which version of the track you mastered and see which they think is the best version.

But, yeah, master if you want to do something more pro with your work..otherwise keep your money in your pocket and just enjoy your music yourself.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to A.M
Lotus_Jewel (07-07-2017)
Old 06-07-2017, 02:40 PM   #24
aeoR
Savage Mad Cunt
aeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MC
MC Status: 13020976

didn't read the whole thread but i just wanted to say this..

after years of experience my mastering has come down to .. putting a good limiter with good settings on my final mix, dither and export. thats it.

in the recent years there has been a big fuss about mastering but really, people need to understand that the most important thing is the mix

compression and sound design, mixing frequencies, channel correlation, etc

everything should be at its best when you finish your mix
aeoR is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to aeoR
Lotus_Jewel (07-07-2017)
Old 06-07-2017, 03:26 PM   #25
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8540880
Thanked 6,999 Times in 4,974 Posts

I'm really glad this isn't the Masterbating, in general 2017 thread. Or is it...

No. No. I kid...but seriously...I it always saddens me in these discussions that more people don't value a second set of ears on their work. One of my least favorite things about the culture of bedroom producers, at least on forums, is that there doesn't seem to be hardly any collaboration in any regard. Having gone through a master of arts program (not in music) it was beaten into us that most of the best art comes out of some form of collaboration. That could be working with another musician, a recording engineer, having someone else mix your tunes, an ME : )

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 05:18 PM   #26
-Agu-
Soundwave Mangler
-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute
Helsinki
MC Status: 4460

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
it always saddens me in these discussions that more people don't value a second set of ears on their work. One of my least favorite things about the culture of bedroom producers, at least on forums, is that there doesn't seem to be hardly any collaboration in any regard. Having gone through a master of arts program (not in music) it was beaten into us that most of the best art comes out of some form of collaboration. That could be working with another musician, a recording engineer, having someone else mix your tunes, an ME : )
I hear ya. But I think it was more about if you should pay for it or not.

Also, not trying to be hostile towards anyone but what saddens me is that people are confident enough to provide large scale advices and guidelines in these threads without providing ANY music they've made.

------------------
-Agu- is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 06:51 PM   #27
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Agu- View Post
"..these threads.".
Which threads..exactly..are you referring to? And who's music have you yet to hear?

------------------
Thanks to A.M
Lotus_Jewel (07-07-2017)
Old 06-07-2017, 11:31 PM   #28
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45943731
Thanked 5,711 Times in 3,598 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
If you're making music that is only ever going to be played on one system in one place: fuck mastering.

If you want other people to play your music in all kinds of places: get an engineer.
That right there. Trust me I've done this mastering thing for years now, it really does pay to have it done by someone that knows what they are doing. It's not just making it louder or more compressed, it's like adding a final clear coat buff to your bad ass metallic purple pearlescent 1978 El Camino that makes it shine.

------------------
brumski
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 12:30 AM   #29
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8540880
Thanked 6,999 Times in 4,974 Posts

Quote:
I hear ya. But I think it was more about if you should pay for it or not.
I guess my point was, this is one of the benefits of paying for someone else to master your track. As other people have said, you are getting those years of experience, a second set of ears that are used to work with a high quality signal chain. Its still collaboration even if someone is getting paid ;p

But my opinion doesn't matter since I've not provided an song example ;p

Last edited by relic; 07-07-2017 at 12:53 AM..

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 02:46 AM   #30
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45943731
Thanked 5,711 Times in 3,598 Posts

If you guys hate mastering, try stem mastering...

------------------
brumski
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Numerical
Lotus_Jewel (07-07-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 08:49 AM   #31
-Agu-
Soundwave Mangler
-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute
Helsinki
MC Status: 4460

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
Which threads..exactly..are you referring to? And who's music have you yet to hear?
This thread, and a dozen other threads related to production quality/mixing/mastering etc. On this forum and on other forums.

And not gonna name & shame. But what I mean is when you see posts starting with something like "From my experience" or "The most important thing is to..." etc. etc. Then I check their sig, profile and avatar, and there's no link to their music. It's hard to decide how seriously you should take some piece of advice when you have absolutely no clue about the person's background.

------------------
-Agu- is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to -Agu-
A.M (07-07-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 10:40 AM   #32
Mario D
Sample Destroyer
Mario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond repute
Croatia
MC Status: 2960

Quote:
This thread, and a dozen other threads related to production quality/mixing/mastering etc. On this forum and on other forums.

And not gonna name & shame. But what I mean is when you see posts starting with something like "From my experience" or "The most important thing is to..." etc. etc. Then I check their sig, profile and avatar, and there's no link to their music. It's hard to decide how seriously you should take some piece of advice when you have absolutely no clue about the person's background.
I do agree with you 50%. Yea, okay, maybe some make bad music, but that does not mean he does not understand things and knows better then anyone else.
Advices here, even tho I get them very little on my music, does help me, no matter how good/bad producer is. he has ears, brain, maybe does not have talent yet to interpret himself in the daw to make great track, but musicality is there.

------------------
Mario D is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 12:14 PM   #33
A.M

Quote:

Thanks for explaining..and apologies if my reply read as being antagonistic..wasn't mean to be, I was just curious as to what threads had sparked this reaction in you is all. But yeah, I get what you mean alright, but I share Mario's take on this. Personally, I know way more than appears to filler back trough into my music..but then a lot of things you hear and read you might feel your work doesn't need, for artistic reasons..though there's the "basics" of mixing that everyone should really try to master..things like using the big 3..EQ..Compression and Reverb..even a rudimentary understanding of these three will make a huge difference to your work.

But the bulk of the problem..if you can call it that..is a lack of or various levels of creativity..we each have our own workflow and some folks incorporate different "tweaks" that takes their work to another level..and some of those things do depend on the style / genre of music you make. Basically, in my case, there's not much call for a wobbly base in ambient music, so there's more pressing things I can spend my time on learning..but if I'm into D&B or I want to be the next Skrillex, then..yeah..it's right up thee on my list.

When you bring all of that onto a platform like this, then you tend to get mixed reviews a lot when you share your wok over in the LB..with (if you take my own case again) some telling you that you need to add drums or a beat, when you clearly don/t, as it's meant to be a ambient piece.

But that doesn't mean those suggesting such things don't know what they're talking about..just that they don't understand the genre-specific rules that apply to the work they're commenting on.

LSS, yeah, I get what you mean, but I don't think it's really as black and white or as simple as saying people don't know what they're talking about..or know less than they think they do.

------------------
Thanks to A.M
-Agu- (07-07-2017)
Old 08-07-2017, 08:27 PM   #34
Bluesh1ft
Knob Twiddler
Bluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond repute
In another world, usually
MC Status: 2160

Just make sure you don't master in front of others. You don't want anybody to see your process. Sound proof walls helps too.
Bluesh1ft is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 12:27 AM   #35
Lotus_Jewel
Radial Developer
Lotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond repute
Earth
MC Status: 2810

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesh1ft View Post
Just make sure you don't master in front of others. You don't want anybody to see your process. Sound proof walls helps too.
lol yea tell my fucking neighbor that i hate hearing him yell out and shit at random... cant wait till i have a girl over and it happens then... great.

Advertisements

Lotus_Jewel is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote