I struggle to make *less* melodic music. Anyone else? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 27-04-2017, 07:13 PM   #21
DoomBrain
Analog Lurker
DoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to beholdDoomBrain is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 710
Re: I struggle to make *less* melodic music. Anyone else?

This is literally what I have experienced today.

I normally create tracks with at least some sort of lead or pattern, but for my latest project which I have decided to do for a video with no sound, I am aiming for just noise, like ambient horror or something.

The trick is to resist your urge to bang on the keyboard! So I just ended up playing a couple of notes and then messing with the synthesizer frequencies.

Advertisements

DoomBrain is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2017, 08:00 PM   #22
NotApplicable
Microknight
NotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond repute
MA
MC Status: 2860

I have a problem creating drums that are way too complicated and take over a track. I try to simplify what I come up with, but I am still struggling to find the right balance.

------------------
NotApplicable is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2017, 10:08 PM   #23
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
My own little world
MC Status: 1837627

The fun part is the melody and music making in general.
With dance the better part is taking the melody and then cutting it up, applying effects and generally screwing it over to fit in with the beats and timbres. But what do I know, I still struggle to make anything people could dance too!
If dance melody is your calling, then do it!

------------------
MFXxx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2017, 10:07 AM   #24
Hygro
Microknight
Hygro has much to be proud ofHygro has much to be proud ofHygro has much to be proud ofHygro has much to be proud ofHygro has much to be proud ofHygro has much to be proud ofHygro has much to be proud ofHygro has much to be proud ofHygro has much to be proud of
California. No doubt about it.
MC Status: 1160

I was listening to a spotify radio set based on a Tale of Us track. Half the songs had these shit melodic leads that were ruining otherwise good tracks.
Hygro is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 04:19 PM   #25
prophonic
Minor Glitch
prophonic is a jewel in the roughprophonic is a jewel in the roughprophonic is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Dose View Post
Yet, too often when I'd like to make a "dancey" track, or one that's more driving and dark, I still end up gravitating toward a baseline with too many notes to be dancey, and a melody that's too...emo I guess. It still sounds good, so I sometimes keep it, but it's not the direction I intended.

It seems like a constant resistance to melody, and since most tracks that work on a dancefloor have very basic 2 or 3 note melodies and baselines, I end up with tracks that are better for listening than for dancing to.

Just curious if anyone else has this problem and how you might deal with it.
I assume that's true in general, there is always a temptation building and building and making it too complicated.
An idea taking another direction as you originally intended is a good thing though, Picasso is quoted with saying 'i do not search, i find.'
prophonic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 11:29 PM   #26
mnw
Minor Glitch
mnw is just really nicemnw is just really nicemnw is just really nicemnw is just really nicemnw is just really nice
MC Status: 410

Yes, absolutely this is me. I went from future bass to bass house and it was definitely a learning experience to focus on the textures/rhythm of sounds versus the melodies and harmonies as it usually is in dubstep-y bass house. As unfortunate as it sounds, what really helped me out was buying a Jauz-inspired Serum preset pack (does this make me a noob, lol). It helped me achieve the sound I was emulating much quicker, but of course the actual writing of the track was still left up to me.
mnw is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 02:48 AM   #27
Dr. Sleaze
Microknight
Dr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond repute
I'm not who or where you think I am.
MC Status: 3960

When you are making dance music, you need to be thinking in terms of rhythms and not melodies. This is because when people dance, they dance to the rhythms in a track. Put yourself in the mind of the dancer.
Dr. Sleaze is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 03:32 AM   #28
dada_davros
IDMf Supporter
dada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MC
MC Status: 11910

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sleaze View Post
When you are making dance music, you need to be thinking in terms of rhythms and not melodies. This is because when people dance, they dance to the rhythms in a track. Put yourself in the mind of the dancer.
Yes but it is the melody that sticks in the listeners mind and brings them back.

------------------
dada_davros is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 06:30 PM   #29
mnw
Minor Glitch
mnw is just really nicemnw is just really nicemnw is just really nicemnw is just really nicemnw is just really nice
MC Status: 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by dada_davros View Post
Yes but it is the melody that sticks in the listeners mind and brings them back.
I think we're talking about less melodic music though...
mnw is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 12:26 AM   #30
Dr. Sleaze
Microknight
Dr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
In dance music melodies tend to be short simple and rhythmic. The reason that people remember them is they are usually played by a lead, which in itself stands out from the rest of the track. So. If you approach your melody as if it was a rhythm, the you should end up with something less complex.

A good way to practice using rhythms, is to make a track using only percussive sounds and short stabs, which is pretty good fun, particularly if you have a hardware sequencer, sampler or groovebox.
Something like "Dial M for Moguai-Beatbox". Sorry can't post a link.

Last edited by Dr. Sleaze; 07-06-2017 at 12:30 AM.. Reason: forgot the last bit
Thanks to Dr. Sleaze
relic (14-06-2017)
Old 07-06-2017, 01:43 AM   #31
Vault O)))
Savage Mad Cunt
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 41710

It might not work for everybody, but experimenting with something like dark ambient or un-brickwalled noise and paying special attention to the timbral qualities and different textures you can come up with seems (to me) to be a good exercise for this overly-melodic syndrome. When you're designing textures around other ones that have less of a 'melodic' value, it kind of forces you to pay attention to everything that's happening aside from the melody, because there is none (debatable, I know).

I used to have no idea where to start, but doing so is what made me so much more aware of things happening outside of the melody box and able to break free o f it when I'd like. It's simple, but a lot of fun to practice. You might need a granular sampler or modular synth for this type of exploration, but the former is easy to come by.

I also repeated myself a bunch above, sorry in advance. I'm tired as shit.
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 07:53 AM   #32
fidelium
IDMf Artist
fidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MC
\(_o)/
MC Status: 2147483647
Thanked 3,449 Times in 1,903 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Dose View Post
I've been producing for about 6 years. I usually have a pretty good concept in my head of the vibe or style I'd like a track to have. Yet, too often when I'd like to make a "dancey" track, or one that's more driving and dark, I still end up gravitating toward a baseline with too many notes to be dancey, and a melody that's too...emo I guess. It still sounds good, so I sometimes keep it, but it's not the direction I intended.

It seems like a constant resistance to melody, and since most tracks that work on a dancefloor have very basic 2 or 3 note melodies and baselines, I end up with tracks that are better for listening than for dancing to.

Just curious if anyone else has this problem and how you might deal with it.
basically remove all harmonic progression you intended on having and any melody you intend on having and create a basic bass line that never moves further than three whole steps away from that tonic. then focus on modulating fx on your synth patch in the same way you would focus on harmonic movement.
fidelium is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2017, 04:31 AM   #33
Failsafe
Granular Poster
Failsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to beholdFailsafe is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 860

I very much relate. There are lots of great points and ideas here but let me offer a couple more. Why not just take it out? I think Bonobo said something he likes to do is use a sample loop, build a track around it then delete the original loop. You can definitely do this with a melody you've made too, see if it sounds better without. Maybe you're not sure so you can introduce it briefly at different points in the track.

Another less-is-more type of method for rectifying this which comes from Josh Homme is just removing notes. My problem is I rarely leave enough space between my notes, and get carried away filling every gap in, which leads to the chiptune-esque over-melodic issue that other people have mentioned.

Alternately, I don't disagree with the people who are saying if that's what your subconscious is spitting out, try working with it instead of against it.
Failsafe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2017, 06:09 AM   #34
Dr. Sleaze
Microknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Failsafe View Post
Another less-is-more type of method for rectifying this which comes from Josh Homme is just removing notes. My problem is I rarely leave enough space between my notes, and get carried away filling every gap in, which leads to the chiptune-esque over-melodic issue that other people have mentioned.
You could try increasing the release on the synth. That way you'll have to cut back on the amount of notes, to stop it becoming one mas of noise. You can always decrease the release again after.
Old 14-06-2017, 06:24 PM   #35
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8540930
Thanked 7,000 Times in 4,975 Posts

Quote:
That is how rock/pop/country work. At least to me, dance tracks are pretty much purely functional: they make people want to dance. They are meant to be a part of a mix and not necessarily stand out individually by having a hook. I think this has probably changed a bit over the past ten years during the super hype EDM era... and sure there have always been well known tracks that people recognize and make the party go off, but I just don't think of dance music in terms of a melodic hook. A rhythmic hook perhaps. A lot of Techno is basically a-tonal.

The fact that dance music didn't rely on hooks to be interesting and that tracks are a part of the whole that makes up an experience: crowd, DJ, music, intoxicants, venue etc is what makes it interesting. Its a symbotic relationship between all these elements led by the DJ--DJ observes crowd/venue and selects appropriate tracks, reimagines the tracks and presents them in a new and interesting way through mixing techniques, crowd responds, DJ adjusts what he is doing or stays the course.

Like...synth pop is great and all but Really all a great dance track needs is a good, basic bass line and banging, funky percussion of some type. With some ear candy thrown in for good measure.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2017, 11:00 AM   #36
fidelium
IDMf Artist
fidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MC
\(_o)/
MC Status: 2147483647
Thanked 3,449 Times in 1,903 Posts

Quote:
My problem is I rarely leave enough space between my notes, and get carried away filling every gap in, which leads to the chiptune-esque over-melodic issue that other people have mentioned.
then stop
fidelium is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2017, 12:55 PM   #37
-Agu-
Soundwave Mangler
-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute
Helsinki
MC Status: 4460

Quote:
My problem is I rarely leave enough space between my notes, and get carried away filling every gap in
Quote:
Originally Posted by totes antenna View Post
use more drums
^^

Advertisements

------------------
-Agu- is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote