Philosophy: Good gear doesn't make a good artist? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 20-06-2017, 10:00 AM   #21
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 183810
Thanked 3,676 Times in 2,738 Posts
Re: Philosophy: Good gear doesn't make a good artist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundmodel View Post
Not just hardware, software as well.

A lot of the sample libraries or virtual instruments that are used by e.g. media composers are pretty trivial and give million dollar sounds. E.g. Spectrasonics products.
Really?

It's kinda hard to take you as being credible anymore, if you think Spectrasonics products are "pretty trivial"..seriously. There's nothing trivial about v.2 of Omnisphere, now they let you import your own samples in to work with..and what the program allows you to do to a sound once it's imported is pretty impressive by any standards.

Advertisements

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 03:00 PM   #22
slugware
Master of the LFO
slugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MC
MC Status: 571101

Not even excited about getting new piece of gear anymore

Just excited about next purchase.

Vanity and consumerism have many ways of dragging you in.

The problem as i see it is not the gear itself or its commercialization in the last decades.

It is its abuse that leads to crappy music and the discourse of the Internet.

I see a lot of these folks these days looking for a shortcut - instead of putting intent and effort into what they already have and have some work done with it, distracting themselves by focusing on the concept 'Ah, i need this piece of gadget to make good music'.

when you go to gearslutz and read 100s of pages of arguments X synth vs Y synth or Z gear vs X gear, most of them even don't make music with it, but compare raw oscillators and stuff. Competence is the new mastery Spending their energy over stuff they bought and what next needs to be bought. When you gonna make tunes, bro?

Just use what you have and maybe try to find inspiration in it.

There's too much of everything today. But that is not why there is so much crappy music out there, is it?
And i think it's okay for someone who is just starting with music to be confused, not knowing what exactly they need for theirs. Maybe buying something you won't be happy with later. Just learn from mistakes and apply with care.

We rely so much on other's people understanding and opinion (technical competence) , it goes almost unnoticeable how do we start to believe that the 'new piece of ZZZ or VEF mk2' 'will make us sound professional' . And we buy into this. We project our creative intent onto a gadget, hoping that the gadjet will be sort of a holy grail for our artistic endeavour.

But the magic is not happening into the technology and the gear. It is happening inside of you.

It is normal to evolve. Also it is normal your vision on production methodology and necessary gear to evolve. As will your gear arsenal evolve over time.

Last edited by slugware; 20-06-2017 at 03:08 PM..

------------------
slugware is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 05:59 PM   #23
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
I/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MC
Wyoming
MC Status: 11478454

On Facebook, after getting my Moog Mother 32, I joined a group under the same name, hoping to see what kinda stuff other people would make with the synth, and what sounds they'd get out of it. Instead, it was mostly people just showing off their rack of 6 Moog's, or debating how many Moog's they need to buy, or just how much new gear they've bought to go that goes with their Moog Mother, and it just gets really dull really fast. It kinda just makes me sick, like, ok, I get it, you just bought a Moog, good for you. But everyone's just so hyped on taking pictures of their Moog: "here's my synth next to a flower pot", "here's my synth next to my other moog mother", "here's my moog next to my cat", "Here's my synth reenacting the battle of 1812", "here's my synth performing Shakespeare's Henry V". I get the whole "new gear" appeal, but seriously, you're buying it to make music, not as a damn trophy for your ability to purchase a new piece of gear. I understand you need to buy tools to be able to have them, but it's a synthesizer!! You make music with it!!!! If it's just a trophy, why bother? It's meaningless. There will be new things made next year, and the year after that, and the year after that, and every time one of those items comes up for sale people will be ooing and aaaaing at the fancy demos and ads. They're just tools. I mean, it's cool to be excited about a particular thing, but it's a synthesizer. There's lots of synthesizers on the market, and a lot of them do more or less similar things. And all those synths looked just as fancy and spiffy when they came out, but it's like once it's no longer "new", the products just become this, "oh, this is last year's synth". It doesn't really matter, unless there's a particular thing that that synth does that others do not, and most of the time, a lot of it is hype. They make some supposed new and breaking technology that will solve all your problems, make you less fat, make your coffee for you, and gives you free foot massages. But ultimately they're just last year's technology with new graphics. But realistically, they normally are only slight improvements, and everyone's just excited about the ads, the one that's being talked about. It's only being talked about because it's new. Find something to make music with, and make that the reason be why you buy it. It doesn't even need to be new, but whatever. I just care about what people can do with it.

------------------
Music please - Unregistered needs to get in the CHATROOM!!!
music by I/O_Madness --- facebook
CHECK OUT THE LATEST BEAT BATTLE!!

I/O_Madness
I/O_Madness is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 06:46 PM   #24
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45943731
Thanked 5,711 Times in 3,598 Posts

The only 'premium' gear that I feel like I need that's essential to ME sounding good are guitar pickups. I can't stand shitty stock guitar pickups that come on most guitars. But that's about it other than maybe the recording interface. Most consumer interface producing companies have had time to get the logistics of their devices down and those who haven't have fallen by the wayside via reviews and people ignoring their products. Having nice gear is wonderful but it's absolutely not essential to creating quality music.

And yeah those guys who make their gear videos and don't really make music are annoying imo. Show off your big fat musical instrument store with no substance for youtube views. Youtube has become copycat central in search of that sweet sweet $ and fame all in the name of muggin for the camera with your $10,000 guitar/synth rig

------------------
brumski
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 07:02 PM   #25
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963583
Thanked 4,083 Times in 2,708 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnkvolcno View Post
Here are some analogies..

Does having a word processor make you write a better story?

Does having more crayon colors make you a better illustrator?

Does having a bigger vocabulary make you a better storyteller.

A person's artistic vision will expand to fill its container. If a person doesn't have a vision, expect drivel.
End/
Muse-ic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 10:56 PM   #26
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 52310
Thanked 1,046 Times in 771 Posts

I feel at least 8% cooler since I own more gear.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 11:02 PM   #27
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC

I feel extremely overwhelmed by all the instruments, samples, possibilities I have to make music. That's why on most days I find myself back on the piano. This summer I am trying to focus on a few things at a time. Limitations can almost be comforting to me. You have a problem to solve and fewer pathways to resolve.
Old 21-06-2017, 02:00 AM   #28
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6903759
Thanked 3,491 Times in 2,114 Posts

The other thing this topic makes me think of is microphones. Like no matter how many fancy mics I have access to mostly I find myself reaching for the old SM-58 because it gets the job done in thirty seconds.
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2017, 02:23 AM   #29
Muse-ic
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
The other thing this topic makes me think of is microphones. Like no matter how many fancy mics I have access to mostly I find myself reaching for the old SM-58 because it gets the job done in thirty seconds.
Well, good thing as that is all I have atm.
Old 21-06-2017, 04:14 AM   #30
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6903759
Thanked 3,491 Times in 2,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse-ic View Post
Well, good thing as that is all I have atm.
Man they're so good because they're so shit... if that makes sense.

I know so many friends who have developed mic habits. A couple of them are lucky enough to work in studios so they have access to well treated spaces after midnight if they ever want to use them. But mostly they either end up spending thousands on acoustic treatment OR they put together some shit makeshift treatment. That's kind of cool but I only know two or three people who have done Macguyver treatments which didn't result in a room that looked shit. And for me, my creative space has to be a certain way.

I think this is what it comes down to though. It doesn't matter what gear you have. You just need to acquire instruments and equipment which suit your needs and are appropriate for your space.

And for all of the gear I have acquired, nothing purchased has been more conducive to my creative output than creating a good space.

Spend time and thought to setup your space in such a way that it's easy to walk in and start working right away. Since I've moved to my new place I've been heavily invested in this. I'm almost at a point where I can fire up my DAW and jam in under a minute. Five to get my camera gear and head out. And writing utensils are littered all over so there's always a pad to jot down an idea.

Fancy gear only gives you a spike in creativity until the novelty wears off...

Advertisements

Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote