How to criticize your own music like a normal listener? - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 26-04-2017, 08:01 AM   #61
ATvrB
Granular Poster
ATvrB is currently spamming hard
Living in Denmark
MC Status: 10
Re: How to criticize your own music like a normal listener?

Great advice on this thread! Personally what works for me is to give some time after re-listening to a track so I can detach from it. After some time it feels like i'm not listening to my own track. Then I grab a notebook and write notes of what I don't like about the track and want to change.

Usually, the more time I give the worst my tracks sound to me.

Cheers

Last edited by ATvrB; 26-04-2017 at 08:07 AM..

Advertisements

ATvrB is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2017, 03:09 PM   #62
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
NewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MC
Texas
MC Status: 19860

I think you kind of can, but I would rather other people do it because they may hear something you don't hear good and bad.

------------------
NewWorldOrder is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2017, 04:58 PM   #63
NotApplicable
Microknight
NotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond repute
MA
MC Status: 2860

I listen to tracks I made a couple of weeks/months later and sounded horrible. teachable moment.

the best way i can find out if i really like a track is try to mix it.

------------------
NotApplicable is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2017, 01:20 AM   #64
ethanede
Radial Developer
ethanede is just really niceethanede is just really niceethanede is just really niceethanede is just really niceethanede is just really nice
Portland, OR
MC Status: 410

This is all great advice. I like the bit about watching someone else listen to your track, that can be really unnerving.

One thing I've tried to get in the habit of doing is being honest with myself when I get to a certain part of my track I knows need tweaking, or to a part that I know doesn't work, or just a point where I lose the flow, and fixing it then and there. Maybe this is obvious, but I've found it easy for me to get lazy and get used to how something sounds instead of making the changes, often that are very simple.
ethanede is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2017, 02:37 AM   #65
jVs
IDMf Supporter
jVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MC
Scruffy City
MC Status: 105317639

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavleas View Post
Biggest problem i have is that whatever i create i think it's great. How can I criticize my own music like a third person? I know it sounds stupid, but are there any questions you should ask yourself when creating music? I can't spot small mistakes in my music until someone tells me, then it is clear in my ears what minor mistakes i have. Any tips for noob producers like me?
Feedback is necessary in the sense that you are going to be able to take what is being offered and apply it to your body of work. Its not stupid to ask yourself questions at all during this process. I suppose a good question to continually ask yourself is "If it sounds good to me at this point, What can I do if anything to make it even better?" As it was previously mentioned, You're not going to be able to objectively look at your track from the outside gazing in, Hence why again its always good to share what you you feel is a great track. One thing about this board is that as long as I have been here not once has anyone just been like your track is shit without offering some very intelligent and practical approaches to structure, design, and most importantly the mix.

Always keep an open mind to the advice that others offer, especially if and when it pertains to the style of music that you are producing. There are many approaches and applications of techniques that I have learned from people throughout the years, Maybe not exactly applied in a redux of the track being critiqued, But that advice duly noted being incorporated into the next track which will most always be progressively moar goodly than your last track.

Above all else anyone telling you to stop having fun doing what you wish to do should be met with a justified flash of your unit set up for the sucking.

------------------
:notafinga: Make synths 1984 again.
jVs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 10:52 PM   #66
Unckol
Learning The Ropes
Unckol is currently spamming hard

Like some others have said, taking some time off from the song and coming back is really helpful. During the break, listening to other songs that are similar in sound can help in developing a new perspective for one's own song. Maybe even taking notes on the structures of other songs, and creating a checklist of good traits to use for one's own song.
Unckol is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 04:05 PM   #67
Mario D
Sample Destroyer
Mario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond repute
Croatia
MC Status: 2960

Accepting your music isn't perfect. Ask opinion of others. Don't get offended if they tell you the real status.
To many people praise on these sites, insted they should give constructive critique.

------------------
Mario D is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2017, 05:57 AM   #68
NakedOperator
Regular Freak
NakedOperator is currently spamming hard
Hamburg

(i think this is a variation of the "compare to other tracks of same genre wich you like" advice)

it might sound silly, and my emglish skills are maybe not good enough to present it well, but what actually helps me is...

when i find myself again sitting there thinking my music is the real hot shit, i go further that way and try to listen to it as if it would be for example the latest AFx album or whatever band/artist the track fits to genrewise...
suddenly i hear all the mistakes and everything what is not yet ready... hard to explain, but the effect is quite perplexing, and usefull for me.

The point is to try really hard to convince yourself that this IS a track from album/artist xy... this works more on a emotional level of course.
I think this works fine, because we are much more picky when it comes to famous musicians than when listening to our own bedroom music.
NakedOperator is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: my shitty track made last night in korg gadget
Old 30-05-2017, 01:19 AM   #69
Nikorasu
Minor Glitch
Nikorasu is a glorious beacon of lightNikorasu is a glorious beacon of lightNikorasu is a glorious beacon of lightNikorasu is a glorious beacon of lightNikorasu is a glorious beacon of lightNikorasu is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numerical View Post
I dont have to work at it. When that initial rush of 'wow this is fresh, and wow this is awesome' wears off I immediately go into "wow this sucks, and wow this sounds too much like ____________".
Hahaha.
This is how I feel.
And those times of staying up late working on something awesome. Then waking up in the morning and being like "Whaaaat is thisss?!" Then you have to destroy all evidence. And lie to your friends like "nuh-uh! I wasn't even in the study last night!"

Advertisements

Nikorasu is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote