How to criticize your own music like a normal listener? - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 26-04-2017, 09:01 AM   #61
ATvrB
Granular Poster
ATvrB is currently spamming hard
Living in Denmark
MC Status: 10
Re: How to criticize your own music like a normal listener?

Great advice on this thread! Personally what works for me is to give some time after re-listening to a track so I can detach from it. After some time it feels like i'm not listening to my own track. Then I grab a notebook and write notes of what I don't like about the track and want to change.

Usually, the more time I give the worst my tracks sound to me.

Cheers

Last edited by ATvrB; 26-04-2017 at 09:07 AM..

Advertisements

ATvrB is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2017, 04:09 PM   #62
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
NewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MC
Texas
MC Status: 23210

I think you kind of can, but I would rather other people do it because they may hear something you don't hear good and bad.

------------------
NewWorldOrder is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2017, 05:58 PM   #63
NotApplicable
Microknight
NotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond repute
MA
MC Status: 2910

I listen to tracks I made a couple of weeks/months later and sounded horrible. teachable moment.

the best way i can find out if i really like a track is try to mix it.

------------------
NotApplicable is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to NotApplicable
Vault O))) (14-04-2018)
Old 28-04-2017, 02:20 AM   #64
ethanede
Radial Developer
ethanede is just really niceethanede is just really niceethanede is just really niceethanede is just really niceethanede is just really nice
Portland, OR
MC Status: 410

This is all great advice. I like the bit about watching someone else listen to your track, that can be really unnerving.

One thing I've tried to get in the habit of doing is being honest with myself when I get to a certain part of my track I knows need tweaking, or to a part that I know doesn't work, or just a point where I lose the flow, and fixing it then and there. Maybe this is obvious, but I've found it easy for me to get lazy and get used to how something sounds instead of making the changes, often that are very simple.
ethanede is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2017, 03:37 AM   #65
jVs
IDMf Supporter
jVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MC
Scruffy City
MC Status: 105318139
Thanked 1,000 Times in 790 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavleas View Post
Biggest problem i have is that whatever i create i think it's great. How can I criticize my own music like a third person? I know it sounds stupid, but are there any questions you should ask yourself when creating music? I can't spot small mistakes in my music until someone tells me, then it is clear in my ears what minor mistakes i have. Any tips for noob producers like me?
Feedback is necessary in the sense that you are going to be able to take what is being offered and apply it to your body of work. Its not stupid to ask yourself questions at all during this process. I suppose a good question to continually ask yourself is "If it sounds good to me at this point, What can I do if anything to make it even better?" As it was previously mentioned, You're not going to be able to objectively look at your track from the outside gazing in, Hence why again its always good to share what you you feel is a great track. One thing about this board is that as long as I have been here not once has anyone just been like your track is shit without offering some very intelligent and practical approaches to structure, design, and most importantly the mix.

Always keep an open mind to the advice that others offer, especially if and when it pertains to the style of music that you are producing. There are many approaches and applications of techniques that I have learned from people throughout the years, Maybe not exactly applied in a redux of the track being critiqued, But that advice duly noted being incorporated into the next track which will most always be progressively moar goodly than your last track.

Above all else anyone telling you to stop having fun doing what you wish to do should be met with a justified flash of your unit set up for the sucking.

------------------
:notafinga: Make synths 1984 again.
jVs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 11:52 PM   #66
Unckol
Learning The Ropes
Unckol is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Like some others have said, taking some time off from the song and coming back is really helpful. During the break, listening to other songs that are similar in sound can help in developing a new perspective for one's own song. Maybe even taking notes on the structures of other songs, and creating a checklist of good traits to use for one's own song.
Unckol is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 05:05 PM   #67
Mario D
Sample Destroyer
Mario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond repute
Croatia
MC Status: 3060

Accepting your music isn't perfect. Ask opinion of others. Don't get offended if they tell you the real status.
To many people praise on these sites, insted they should give constructive critique.

------------------
Mario D is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2017, 06:57 AM   #68
Dokan
Analog Lurker
Dokan has a brilliant futureDokan has a brilliant futureDokan has a brilliant futureDokan has a brilliant futureDokan has a brilliant futureDokan has a brilliant futureDokan has a brilliant futureDokan has a brilliant futureDokan has a brilliant futureDokan has a brilliant futureDokan has a brilliant future
Hamburg
MC Status: 1860

(i think this is a variation of the "compare to other tracks of same genre wich you like" advice)

it might sound silly, and my emglish skills are maybe not good enough to present it well, but what actually helps me is...

when i find myself again sitting there thinking my music is the real hot shit, i go further that way and try to listen to it as if it would be for example the latest AFx album or whatever band/artist the track fits to genrewise...
suddenly i hear all the mistakes and everything what is not yet ready... hard to explain, but the effect is quite perplexing, and usefull for me.

The point is to try really hard to convince yourself that this IS a track from album/artist xy... this works more on a emotional level of course.
I think this works fine, because we are much more picky when it comes to famous musicians than when listening to our own bedroom music.
Dokan is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: my shitty track made last night in korg gadget
Thanks to Dokan
pavleas (18-04-2018)
Old 30-05-2017, 02:19 AM   #69
Nikorasu
Minor Glitch
Nikorasu is a glorious beacon of lightNikorasu is a glorious beacon of lightNikorasu is a glorious beacon of lightNikorasu is a glorious beacon of lightNikorasu is a glorious beacon of lightNikorasu is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numerical View Post
I dont have to work at it. When that initial rush of 'wow this is fresh, and wow this is awesome' wears off I immediately go into "wow this sucks, and wow this sounds too much like ____________".
Hahaha.
This is how I feel.
And those times of staying up late working on something awesome. Then waking up in the morning and being like "Whaaaat is thisss?!" Then you have to destroy all evidence. And lie to your friends like "nuh-uh! I wasn't even in the study last night!"
Nikorasu is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 08:38 PM   #70
beigeboxgone
Minor Glitch
beigeboxgone is a glorious beacon of lightbeigeboxgone is a glorious beacon of lightbeigeboxgone is a glorious beacon of lightbeigeboxgone is a glorious beacon of lightbeigeboxgone is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dokan View Post
(i think this is a variation of the "compare to other tracks of same genre wich you like" advice)

it might sound silly, and my emglish skills are maybe not good enough to present it well, but what actually helps me is...

when i find myself again sitting there thinking my music is the real hot shit, i go further that way and try to listen to it as if it would be for example the latest AFx album or whatever band/artist the track fits to genrewise...
suddenly i hear all the mistakes and everything what is not yet ready... hard to explain, but the effect is quite perplexing, and usefull for me.

The point is to try really hard to convince yourself that this IS a track from album/artist xy... this works more on a emotional level of course.
I think this works fine, because we are much more picky when it comes to famous musicians than when listening to our own bedroom music.

great philosophy, I will give this one a go
beigeboxgone is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2018, 01:12 AM   #71
Vault O)))
Savage Mad Cunt
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 55460
Thanked 1,109 Times in 730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario D View Post
To many people praise on these sites, insted they should give constructive critique.
If you're talking about here, maybe you should just come to terms with the fact that your music is good. I learn like 8 different lessons in one whenever I hit up the LB

I guess this is one of the few places I've ever felt 'safe' from BS critique and smoke blowing that exists elsewhere

/tangent
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2018, 12:42 PM   #72
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 200060
Thanked 4,001 Times in 2,976 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault O))) View Post
If you're talking about here, maybe you should just come to terms with the fact that your music is good. I learn like 8 different lessons in one whenever I hit up the LB

I guess this is one of the few places I've ever felt 'safe' from BS critique and smoke blowing that exists elsewhere

/tangent
Second this totally..IDMf is one of the few places where you can be sure you WILL be told your music sucks..and why it sucks..as well as be praised if it doesn't.

Granted, the people posting comments and suggestions over in the LB all have different levels of production skills and technical know-how..and you need to keep this in mind when reading anything anyone posts in relation to your own work. Basically, not everyone is an expert and you might know more than them, but that doesn't mean they don't know good music when they hear it..just that they may not have any advice on how to improve upon what you've already done.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2018, 05:23 PM   #73
wipeout
Soundscaper
wipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MC
San Francisco, CA
MC Status: 2023897

I think there are 2 parts to this: Technical and Composition.
Is the mix good? How was my use of compression? Did I even use compression? What about reverb? Do I have any panning? Do I have enough bass for the genre? Do I have enough transients? etc.

I think the better you get, you create a checklist of technical things that need to be done before a track is finished. The better you are, the more thorough the checklist.

Composition wise, a lot of what you get is either someone else's opinion on synth/kick/snare selection or you fell too far from the genre you classified it as relative to their expectation when listening.

------------------
wipeout is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2018, 05:16 PM   #74
Parricide
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC
MC Status: 18029969

just get shitfaced. you can judge it from a third person perspective.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
signature loading...
Parricide is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2018, 01:50 AM   #75
pavleas
Microknight
pavleas is a name known to allpavleas is a name known to allpavleas is a name known to allpavleas is a name known to allpavleas is a name known to allpavleas is a name known to all
Athens
MC Status: 610

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parricide View Post
just get shitfaced. you can judge it from a third person perspective.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
When i'm shitfaced i love my music. When i'm sober it mostly sucks

------------------
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐ ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐ ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
https://soundcloud.com/pavleas/excep...ion-3-by-knkuc
pavleas is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to pavleas
Parricide (18-04-2018)
Old 18-04-2018, 03:16 AM   #76
beigeboxgone
Minor Glitch
beigeboxgone is a glorious beacon of lightbeigeboxgone is a glorious beacon of lightbeigeboxgone is a glorious beacon of lightbeigeboxgone is a glorious beacon of lightbeigeboxgone is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavleas View Post
When i'm shitfaced i love my music. When i'm sober it mostly sucks
Beer plus synthesizers are a great combo. But i can only produce occasionally like this. IPAs seems to pair well with nord wave. Red wine with akai ax60. One would imagine the opposite...
beigeboxgone is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to beigeboxgone
A.M (18-04-2018)
Old 17-05-2018, 08:23 PM   #77
Plague
Analog Lurker
Plague has much to be proud ofPlague has much to be proud ofPlague has much to be proud ofPlague has much to be proud ofPlague has much to be proud ofPlague has much to be proud ofPlague has much to be proud ofPlague has much to be proud of
Munich
MC Status: 1010

In the last 5 years I made about 30 songs. And I like them all. But there are just 3 of them which I love.

If it's a powerful song, it's the power you get caught
If it's a melodic song, you get lost in the melody and feel the beauty
If it's an atmospheric song, you get goosebumps

I know this is totally subjective and simplistic. But this is how it works for me.
I just know it's right, when it's right. And not just good.

Taking a break of listening to your stuff to much, has only short term effects for me.
It doesn't work for me. Every song you just like sound good, when you hear them the first time.

------------------
Plague is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Plague
A.M (17-05-2018)
Old 01-06-2018, 09:22 PM   #78
afterhours
IDMf's latest spammer
afterhours will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

Imagine you're a DJ playing for a huge crowd, and all of your friends are there. Would you play what you've produced?
afterhours is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 11:13 PM   #79
Br/ainfu+ked
IDMf Artist
Br/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MC
blah
MC Status: 45966548
Thanked 1,214 Times in 933 Posts

give it a year or several months, or if you can't wait that long compare the quality of your music to others in terms of arrangement, mixing, sound design, its hard to dispel the ecstasy that you get being in awe of your own creations only time will tell

------------------
Br/ainfu+ked is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:28 PM   #80
pavleas
Microknight
pavleas is a name known to allpavleas is a name known to allpavleas is a name known to allpavleas is a name known to allpavleas is a name known to allpavleas is a name known to all
Athens
MC Status: 610

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterhours View Post
Imagine you're a DJ playing for a huge crowd, and all of your friends are there. Would you play what you've produced?
well since everyone at trance parties is on mdma mostly, i would probably play a track of mine, since when tripping on mdma people even like rhythmic fart sounds.

Advertisements

------------------
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐ ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐ ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
https://soundcloud.com/pavleas/excep...ion-3-by-knkuc
pavleas is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote