Acoustic Treatment, What, Why and How? - Page 8
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Go Back » The Studio » The Studio
Old 02-02-2016, 06:29 PM   #141
Avenoir
Learning The Ropes
Avenoir will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60
Re: Acoustic Treatment, What, Why and How?

Acoustics change everything about the sound of tunes

Advertisements

Avenoir is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 08:04 PM   #142
brn20
IDMf Artist
brn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MC
London
MC Status: 73802573
Thanked 1,791 Times in 1,192 Posts

Help me decide where to put my desk and monitors!

Here's the floor plan of my flat I'm moving into in a couple of weeks:

The obvious option is the second bedroom, but it's very narrow and not that long. Would the reflections in a space that small make it not worthwhile? I'll just put a sofa bed in there otherwise.

The other option is to put it in the kitchen/reception room area where the box with an X is (which signifies reduced headroom from a sloping roof). But then the backs of the speakers will be in corners and close to both a sloping roof/window. The current owners have a digital piano there, as it happens.

Any ideas?

------------------
brn20 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 10:39 PM   #143
taylorfrank
Savage Mad Cunt
taylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MC
Denver
MC Status: 20112

The spot with the X seems like a practical choice and you have the advantage of your monitors firing into an expanding area. Just add as much absorption into those corners as possible and treat your first reflections.

The small bedroom would be crap to mix in :/

Also, you could turn the study into a vocal booth!

------------------
taylorfrank is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to taylorfrank
brn20 (14-02-2016)
Old 14-02-2016, 11:22 PM   #144
brn20
IDMf Artist
brn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MC
London
MC Status: 73802573
Thanked 1,791 Times in 1,192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorfrank View Post
The spot with the X seems like a practical choice and you have the advantage of your monitors firing into an expanding area. Just add as much absorption into those corners as possible and treat your first reflections.

The small bedroom would be crap to mix in :/

Also, you could turn the study into a vocal booth!
OK, thanks for the help. Here are a couple of pictures of that area so you can see the slope of the roof:

Obviously there's not much I can do about it, but I'm guessing that sloping roof will cause quite a lot more reflections. Any tips on what sort of treatment (acoustic shielding, bass traps, etc) would have the most benefit?

------------------
brn20 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Rain and a screaming laptop cpu fan
Old 20-02-2016, 05:30 PM   #145
taylorfrank
Savage Mad Cunt
taylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MC
Denver
MC Status: 20112

Quote:
Originally Posted by brn20 View Post
Obviously there's not much I can do about it, but I'm guessing that sloping roof will cause quite a lot more reflections. Any tips on what sort of treatment (acoustic shielding, bass traps, etc) would have the most benefit?
Sloped roofs are actually quite good, they help get rid of flutter echo. Unless you have some nasty bass buildup in the corner, you should be alright with the shape of the ceiling. Just check your first reflections with the mirror trick.

------------------
taylorfrank is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2016, 11:57 PM   #146
devilz_soul1979
Learning The Ropes
devilz_soul1979 is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

what are some good material for soundproofing
devilz_soul1979 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2016, 09:08 PM   #147
David Martinez
Learning The Ropes
David Martinez will become famous soon enoughDavid Martinez will become famous soon enough
Highland
MC Status: 110

you can start by looking at roxul/rockwhool. just wear gloves when installing. it won't be true soundproofing as that will require redesigning and rebuilding your room but you can certainly use it for sound treating a room.
David Martinez is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2016, 09:45 AM   #148
vashima
vashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MC
Pocatello, Idaho
MC Status: 13560

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickya4n View Post
How to treat your room for high fidelity listening / mixing. Placing acoustic panels, diffusers & bass traps in studio control rooms and hi-fi media rooms.

Your posts have made my brain hurt... Could be a language barrier; if that is the case, than my apologies. Otherwise, you have been exhibiting unique attributes of a special type of troll... Anywho...
vashima is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 06:02 PM   #149
Johnson Academy
IDMf Supporter
Johnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MC
Streets of Lojo
MC Status: 13798620

Hi all,

I am planning on treating my room.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
(I added some comments on there).

That's a quick model I made, so it's not 100% accurate, but gives a clear picture of the room and the monitor placement. The red wall shown in the model is a wall I can't treat due to cabinets and a door. I could maybe fit couple panels there, but no bass traps. How should I go with this problem? Any way to compensate?

Is the tratment shown in my model any good? I understand I should get myself a mic and "test" my room for dips and that, but right now I don't have the money for that right now. Also, have you guys tried covering windows with panels? And what do you guys think about the bass traps in the ceiling? Too much?

Basically all ideas, concerns and comments are welcome regarding my acoustic treatment -plan.

Also sorry for my shit english. I am a bit sick atm and I feel like my brain is running at 20% effiency.

Last edited by Johnson Academy; 12-12-2016 at 06:04 PM.. Reason: EDIT: Wording

------------------
I'm offering free mixing services, PM me if you are interested

Johnson Academy is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 10:10 PM   #150
iDoG
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
iDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 17760

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson Academy View Post
what are the room dimensions?

ideally, you would put your table in front of the window so that you are facing the shorter wall. cover the two corners with bass traps from floor to ceiling. and use the mirror trick to find the spots on the longer walls where to put some panels.

i know it sucks having to put the table in front of the window, but that configuration will give you better results. it's up to you whether it's worth it or not. my room seems to be pretty similar to yours and that's what i ended up doing.

i also don't understand if you don't have enough money to buy a mic to test (which is really only 40-50 bucks), how are you planning on buying/building your panels, which will be much more expensive? you really need to get one. otherwise, you are just blindly putting shit up. changes of as little as 5-10cms in where your listening position makes a pretty big difference. you need to be able to move things around and measure to find the best configuration.
iDoG is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2016, 07:01 PM   #151
Johnson Academy
IDMf Supporter
Johnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MC
Streets of Lojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDoG View Post
what are the room dimensions?

ideally, you would put your table in front of the window so that you are facing the shorter wall. cover the two corners with bass traps from floor to ceiling. and use the mirror trick to find the spots on the longer walls where to put some panels.

i know it sucks having to put the table in front of the window, but that configuration will give you better results. it's up to you whether it's worth it or not. my room seems to be pretty similar to yours and that's what i ended up doing.

i also don't understand if you don't have enough money to buy a mic to test (which is really only 40-50 bucks), how are you planning on buying/building your panels, which will be much more expensive? you really need to get one. otherwise, you are just blindly putting shit up. changes of as little as 5-10cms in where your listening position makes a pretty big difference. you need to be able to move things around and measure to find the best configuration.
Thanks for your reply!

To be honest, first I didn't think I could be arsed to do a total makeover in my room. But after thinkin about it, and reading stuff (your reply included), I decided to do it. So:
  • I moved my table towards the wall with the window. I centered my table and the monitors so that the monitors stand symmetrically to the wall with the window. I also left a space between my desk and the table, and placed my PC screen in between the monitors in a seperate stand. I adjusted my listening position so that it's not 25% or 50% (nodes) of the rooms length from the windowed wall.
  • I was planning on just bying an omnidirectional mic for calibration, BUT I remembered that my Blue Snowball has omnidirectional option. I decided to give the Snowball a go with the acoustic measurement. I know it's not as good as proper measurement mic, but I will try it out anyways. What do you think of this? I searched some forums and tutorials, and they all seem to just say "Well, any omnidirectional mic should do.", but we'll see.
  • I ordered some bass traps and regular panels (and glue!) from Thomann, since I will need them anyways.
I understand it won't be 100% perfect, but right now my room has so much echoing that basically anything is better!

What do you think iDog, anything that comes in mind? I think I will do the measurement with the Snowball today or tomorrow.

------------------

Old 14-12-2016, 08:34 PM   #152
iDoG
iDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MC
Chicago

sounds like you already did as much as possible with what you have at the moment. good job.

not familiar with that mic, but sure, give it a try. download REW and do some measurements.

i'm against buying commercial products for this, unless you are a pro and need something very specific or really care about cosmetics. DIY all the way. so much cheaper and doesn't take all that much time and skill to do.

but whatever. do the measurements and then at least you have some way of comparing any modifications you do, whether that's adding more panels or moving things around.
Old 15-12-2016, 01:48 PM   #153
Johnson Academy
IDMf Supporter
Streets of Lojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDoG View Post
sounds like you already did as much as possible with what you have at the moment. good job.

not familiar with that mic, but sure, give it a try. download REW and do some measurements.

i'm against buying commercial products for this, unless you are a pro and need something very specific or really care about cosmetics. DIY all the way. so much cheaper and doesn't take all that much time and skill to do.

but whatever. do the measurements and then at least you have some way of comparing any modifications you do, whether that's adding more panels or moving things around.
I made the measurements using my Snowball, and this is what I got: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

I have hard time trying to analyze the results. Does the waterfall graph show me the reverb my room has on different freqs?

------------------

Old 15-12-2016, 03:57 PM   #154
Creepr
Soundscaper
Creepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond repute
Germany
MC Status: 7360

Quote:
I made the measurements using my Snowball, and this is what I got: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

I have hard time trying to analyze the results. Does the waterfall graph show me the reverb my room has on different freqs?
As I understand it, yes. that is basically what you are looking for. Look up room modes for some more info too. Also standing waves.

That graph shows nothing really, as it is too short in time. You can expand the graph out a bit to see where the waterfall ends. There is more info there. There does appear to be some room modes peaking out in the bass range, starting at 40Hz. I am rather a noob at this myself, but I believe that is what is showing there. There are some handy room mode calculators around (google) to help identify them. Other than that, extend the time dimension on that to like 500ms and see how the ends of the test look. Then you can start to target the problem areas. Hope that helps.

Also also, I did not look it up but I am willing ot bet the Snowball is a cardiod style mic, not an Omni mic. Not sure how that will affect your results specifically but omnidirectional mics are the "correct" type to use for REWS tests as I understand it.

------------------
Creepr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2016, 04:53 PM   #155
iDoG
Chicago

Quote:

Technically, Waterfall graph demonstrates modal ringing and RT60 demonstrates reverb decay, though I'm kind of fuzzy at this point on practical differences.

First of all, I'd suggest you change your zoom view. Obviously, everything below -10 is the same, so no need to see that. And also what happens below like 30hz is irrelevant too.

I don't think it matters so much what exactly the graph means (if you want an in-depth analysis, you should post this to gearslutz). Now you can start making adjustments and comparing the results. Ideally, you want to flatten the graph as much as possible. But it's not really realistic to get everything flat, but you can surely improve things. As you move things around, certain things will flatten out more and at the same time certain other frequencies will spike up/cancel out. So you just need to find a nice compromise. In general, it's the lower frequencies that give us all the most trouble. So if for example you do some adjustments and flatten that spike at 50Hz, but at the cost of some other spike/dip somewhere higher up, I would take that trade-off.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:46 PM   #156
No Theory
Regular Freak
No Theory will become famous soon enough
atlanta
MC Status: 60

For the longest time I was looking into creating a vocal booth in my closet. It is a huge closet, but it has a usable square space of about 5 feet by 4 feet, with the ceiling at about 10 feet. I sort of gave up on the endeavor because after much research, I was told the space would sound boxy to record in even if I covered everything in acoustic foam from the walls to the ceiling. That in itself would have cost a lot but I would/would've been willing if it meant I would be able to get a clear, studio quality vocal. I eventually caved and got the audio technica 2020 with a huge reflector shield and pop filter, and decided it would be better to record in my room, which is pretty large, but with no other acoustic treatment on the walls. So my question is was this the right decision and if not what would be a better setup for recording vocals?

Advertisements

No Theory is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote