RFJ - Oh Death! [PM035]
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

IDMf's User Releases Post your official releases here. Works in progress and promo spam will be removed.

Old 25-08-2015, 02:06 PM   #1
Trusty Steed
IDMf Artist
Trusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MC
MC Status: 272295370
Thanked 2,658 Times in 1,571 Posts
RFJ - Oh Death! [PM035]

PegasiaMusic035: RFJ - Oh Death!

Release Date: 25th August 2015

Genre: Ambient, IDM

PegasiaMusic is humbled to present [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
's brand new and seamless chronicle 'Oh Death!', a subtle and pensive commentary on the fear and acceptance of human mortality. With sensitivity and empathy, it brings along on its journey a humble and sobering storm of human feeling and conviction that echoes all throughout its organic and natural evolution. It is an honour to share this release on RFJ's behalf and we hope you enjoy it.

Artwork by Luis Felipe Ocampo.

Banner: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...h%20banner.jpg

Last edited by Trusty Steed; 25-08-2015 at 02:15 PM..

Advertisements

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlantis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fid View Post
Ben Steed is an art beacon, a lighthouse of abundant radiance shining on the dark corners of the world.
Yeah, but he needs to rock out more.
Trusty Steed is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 02:08 PM   #2
professurreal
IDMf Artist
professurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MC
at the end of the tunnel
MC Status: 59410
Thanked 1,188 Times in 790 Posts
Re: RFJ - Oh Death! [PM035]

Cool! Looking forward to hearing this! Also nice cover art work!

------------------
professurreal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 05:19 PM   #3
Trusty Steed
IDMf Artist
Trusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MC
MC Status: 272295370
Thanked 2,658 Times in 1,571 Posts

Yeah the art is awesome, well suited to the release. Totally stunning record, hope you enjoy it.

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlantis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fid View Post
Ben Steed is an art beacon, a lighthouse of abundant radiance shining on the dark corners of the world.
Yeah, but he needs to rock out more.
Trusty Steed is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 06:10 PM   #4
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8537780
Thanked 6,937 Times in 4,936 Posts

This really is a fantastic release. I like the continuous format for this release.

(actually spent the morning perusing the Pegasia catalog, forgot how many great releases you have)
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 07:20 PM   #5
iDoG
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
iDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 17760

i LOVE the art work. very cool. will listen to this later tonight.
iDoG is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 07:25 PM   #6
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts

Wow. This is delicious. I love the cover art, too.
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2015, 12:20 AM   #7
RFJ
IDMf Artist
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644118
Thanked 4,897 Times in 3,160 Posts

A few hours late to the party here but nothing like coming home from work and seeing this. First off a huge amount of thanks is owed to Ben Steed and everyone at PegasiaMusic. Ben Steed and I go back a few years so I had a feeling he'd be easy to work with and, sure enough, he was. Couldn't have asked for a better experience in dealing with release representation.

Its also important for me to note here that this release was mastered by the infallible Mr. Chris Gilkes aka [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
. Very solid individual and a trusted friend I've made over the course of my stay here at IDMf. He really brought out the best of what I had going on and left the dynamics intact while bringing loudness. Thrilled he was able to be apart of my little release here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCoB View Post
i LOVE the art work. very cool. will listen to this later tonight.
Thanks for checking this out man glad you (and professurreal) enjoy the art. As Mr. Steed mentioned the art was handled by Luis Felipe Ocampo. Another joy to work with throughout this process. I sent him the work, gave him free reign, and what he came up speaks for itself I think. He actually sent me four different brought to chose from, a concept written for each, and here's what he had to say about the motivation behind the piece I selected to be developed into what is now the cover...

"01: In the foreground, a very old man (or woman) who seems to have some sort of time traveling device attached to his back, yet it is broken, like many previous failed attempts. Life and time has moved on, and this person has wasted it trying to go back in time and "fix" things. Not sure what the background could illustrate at this point..
Inspiration: H.G Wells - The Time Machine
"

I really think he hit the nail on the head with the overall theme I was trying to communicate with this here record. I'd highly recommend his services to anyone in need of some album artwork. PM me if you want his details / contact info (anyone).

----

A few brief personal notes on the work, if I may...

Obviously, by virtue of the title, it's a record about death. I'll start by saying historically I've always been afraid of dying. Afraid isn't really even the right word. It's more of a sadness that is present based upon the fact that one day life, as I know it at least, will end. It is that sadness and awareness of that fact that I believe has it's fingers in every aspect of human life, or at least mine I think. The ironic thing about it though is, I believe without death life would have no meaning. This is because were I an immortal being I would have an infinite amount of chances to get things right, love others, resolve issues, form relationships, make memories, etc.

An example, I love my daughters smile. I will only get to see my daughter smile a certain amount of times. It is death that makes the joy I see in those moments hold so much meaning because of the clock which ticks away every time they happen. It is also death that tempors those same moments with an ever so slight twinge of sadness.

So, in my opinion death reaches far into the depths of our every day life and is a necessary thing that makes things matter. As much as I fear it, I need it, or life would not be what it is at all.

With the music specifically I wanted to communicate a progression of emotions starting at insecurity, moving to fear and doubt, going all the way down to hopelessness, but then come out of the darkness, into the light, and the acceptance of death and it's implications as a needed thing.

So to sum it up:

It's a record about death. The ultimate death that we all face. The reality and awareness of that which reaches deep into our human lives, governing what we do, how we behave, the way we think others see us - the way we see ourselves. It's a record about fear, hope, life, and the ever present march towards our inevitable fate.

Anyway I've probably blabbered on way too much here but, as most of you know, I have a way of doing that with these types of things, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
This really is a fantastic release. I like the continuous format for this release.

(actually spent the morning perusing the Pegasia catalog, forgot how many great releases you have)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt O))) View Post
Wow. This is delicious. I love the cover art, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by professurreal View Post
Cool! Looking forward to hearing this! Also nice cover art work!
Thanks be to all of you, and anyone else, for checking out this release and, hopefully, listening to it. I've had much help and encouragement along the way from my friends here at IDMf and probably couldn't have made this without all of you and the collective guidance of the board.

I really hope the thanks button works in this here section of the forum because I'm about to hit it all around but, sadly, I fear it might not.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2015, 01:40 AM   #8
badmotor
Savage Mad Cunt
badmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MC
MC Status: 31460

Wow. I'm blown away by this... about 11mins through as I write this. Huge. And brave subject matter.

------------------
badmotor is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2015, 11:07 AM   #9
rewir3d
rewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MC
Anal Leakage SJW 2016
MC Status: 3063969

That artwork is beyond amazing!!
rewir3d is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2015, 03:27 AM   #10
RFJ
IDMf Artist
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmotor View Post
Wow. I'm blown away by this... about 11mins through as I write this. Huge. And brave subject matter.
Hey thanks man for giving me that 20 min of your life to listen to this thing and make comment. Yeah the subject matter is rather heavy. One of my earliest memories is the realization of my own mortality one night and that realization has given me pause for thought, and sometimes tormented me, ever since.

I can talk all that happy horse shit in my previous post until I'm blue in the face but the truth is death is something that from time to time still frightens me.

Anyway, thanks again for the comment, glad you liked it. Thrilled actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewir3d View Post
That artwork is beyond amazing!!
So amazing in fact it almost makes you want to listen to the damn thing.

------------------
Old 27-08-2015, 05:04 AM   #11
rewir3d
rewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MC
Anal Leakage SJW 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
So amazing in fact it almost makes you want to listen to the damn thing.
Almost

Kidding, I plan on giving this my full attention when I get the free time to listen
Old 27-08-2015, 05:25 AM   #12
jVs
IDMf Supporter
jVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MC
Scruffy City
MC Status: 105317639

Even with the solid knowing that this release would be incredible, There was nothing that could have prepared my ears and mind to understand the depth and gravity and amazement until the triangle was engaged. As far as the fear and often times hard to swallow acceptance of death's finality, Rest your head and worry not sir, Because you have made this but one of many things that will cement your success and memory for a time unknown to any of us. I as well as many others who read this can absolutely understand and relate to you on this level, Even now I am reflecting on how stupidly fast I "roared through my 20's" Not that 33 is old by any measure, But with experience comes wisdom, And wisdom with age. Personally, I feel that for the first time in my adult life or even my childhood that I have a feeling of pride in my achievements, Certain goals that are gauged by my own standard. Of course I am also one of these weirdos that believe as we are so shall we will forever be, no one ever really dies because we all leave a piece of something of ourselves. Before I derail this thread into a contemplation of semantics I just want to say with sincerity, Thank you and everyone I've been blessed to interact with and meet for leaving a lasting impression on my own self. Through art, idea, and experience.

------------------
:notafinga: Make synths 1984 again.
jVs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2015, 05:36 PM   #13
Dataf1ow
IDMf Artist
Dataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MC
MC Status: 47763902

Just gave this an initial listen, but I feel that it might take a few more to really appreciate this.
That being said, I loved what I heard the first time through, and am excited to see what I hear on upcoming listens.

------------------
Dataf1ow is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2015, 06:12 PM   #14
Roo Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistAdministrator
Roo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42387449
Thanked 5,069 Times in 3,305 Posts

Will grab this evening, looking forward to listening

------------------
Roo Stercogburn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2015, 09:06 PM   #15
rewir3d
Anal Leakage SJW 2016

Just gave this my second full listen and it is such a fantastic movement. I can say with full honesty it is the best piece I have heard come off this forum in a very long time. I think you know me from the forum well enough at this point to know that I don't give out many compliments either.

I have one gripe which is a completely personal bias but if this did not have the talking stutters throughout it I would triple my listens. Seriously this builds like a soundtrack to a film and has so many aesthetics and layers to it that makes it a beautiful movement but that stuttering talking completely makes me lose that feel and focus.

Sorry, I know you worked your ass off on all these aspects and I don't mean to trash that in anyway. If you ever make a version without the vox please, PLEASE let me know. I could listen to this shit everyday otherwise. I fucking love music like this and I look hard to find it.

Fantastic job man, I really mean it! This exceeded all my expectations by so much. Thanks for sharing!!
Old 28-08-2015, 03:44 AM   #16
RFJ
IDMf Artist
I live in California.

Thanks doesn't cut it at this point...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jVs View Post
Even with the solid knowing that this release would be incredible, There was nothing that could have prepared my ears and mind to understand the depth and gravity and amazement until the triangle was engaged. As far as the fear and often times hard to swallow acceptance of death's finality, Rest your head and worry not sir, Because you have made this but one of many things that will cement your success and memory for a time unknown to any of us.
Jhon, you're too kind. I'm thrilled you enjoyed the work. Beyond your enjoyment of the music I'm probably most thrilled by all this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jVs View Post
I as well as many others who read this can absolutely understand and relate to you on this level, Even now I am reflecting on how stupidly fast I "roared through my 20's" Not that 33 is old by any measure, But with experience comes wisdom, And wisdom with age. Personally, I feel that for the first time in my adult life or even my childhood that I have a feeling of pride in my achievements, Certain goals that are gauged by my own standard. Of course I am also one of these weirdos that believe as we are so shall we will forever be, no one ever really dies because we all leave a piece of something of ourselves. Before I derail this thread into a contemplation of semantics I just want to say with sincerity, Thank you and everyone I've been blessed to interact with and meet for leaving a lasting impression on my own self. Through art, idea, and experience.
My intention with track making is to communicate in some way with the end user, which in this case, is you. Weather or not the line of thinking above came about during the listen or only in the aftermath I'm thrilled to see it got you thinking enough to post your thoughts on growing old, achievements, and connection with others. The goal for me isn't play count but more what happens over the duration of the work that matters, think I've said that before but there it is again, so thanks be to you for that.

Quote:
Just gave this my second full listen and it is such a fantastic movement. I can say with full honesty it is the best piece I have heard come off this forum in a very long time. I think you know me from the forum well enough at this point to know that I don't give out many compliments either.
Wow, totally appreciate the comment there and high marks there. I did know that, as you said, you don't just give compliments blindly. That's why I made that snippy post earlier there to poke at you a little bit because I was curious what your feedback would be given that point of fact.

Quote:
I have one gripe which is a completely personal bias but if this did not have the talking stutters throughout it I would triple my listens. Seriously this builds like a soundtrack to a film and has so many aesthetics and layers to it that makes it a beautiful movement but that stuttering talking completely makes me lose that feel and focus.
Yeah the vocal chops. I honestly went back and forth on that before even trying to put them in. A few things - First off I love manipulating audio and especially love what can happen to the human voice when it's warped and / or pitched. I know there are a few sections where a phrase or two is left in tact but, by and large, the vocal cuts were primarily used in place of a melody being played by a synth, in an attempt to bring a more organic feel to the entire thing. They're there, but not to necessarily dictate anything to the listener other than atmosphere...for the most part.

The vocals are actually samples I took of a friend of mine, a minister actually (a rather forward thinking one if there is such a thing), while he was giving a series of talks on the subject matter of this record. It was he who actually challenged me to make the record because death, in all it's many forms, is a topic he and I discuss on the regular. So, in that vein, it made sense for me to include them.

The mantra being repeated at the close of the album is a mish-mash of variants on blessed are you who are weak, blessed are you who are poor, a line of thinking which very much speaks to me when viewed in the light of dying, only this time dying to ones self as it were.

Hopefully you don't hate them more after knowing all that.

Quote:
Sorry, I know you worked your ass off on all these aspects and I don't mean to trash that in anyway. If you ever make a version without the vox please, PLEASE let me know. I could listen to this shit everyday otherwise. I fucking love music like this and I look hard to find it.
Dude I totally would and link it up in this thread if I could. It'd be quite easy actually. But the finny thing is, well more ironic than funny, actually...

The project is dead.

Seriously, in an it refuses to open kind of way. I went through final mixing and export, then put it aside for three days, then came back for another listen. There were like one or two of those "nobody will be able to hear them but me" type tweaks I was going to make and couldn't open it. Live tries really hard to for about three min and then the thing totally crashes every time. I made this thing all within one single project and by the end it was really struggling to stay alive as it was.

I'll give it one more shot here over the weekend to see what happens though and if it decides to resurrect itself I'll upload a revision just for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dataf1ow View Post
Just gave this an initial listen, but I feel that it might take a few more to really appreciate this.
That being said, I loved what I heard the first time through, and am excited to see what I hear on upcoming listens.
Sweet dude glad you enjoyed it and enjoyed it enough to possibly play it more than the once. Here's hoping any additional listens you should have can solidify your enjoyment even more! Really stoked you took the time to listen and make comment as I have long enjoyed the work you do. I was never able to find a way to glitch quite like you so, for the most part, I've given up trying to replicate it in recent years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stercogburn View Post
Will grab this evening, looking forward to listening
Thanks in advance roo for taking the time to check out the release, hope you enjoy what you find.

---

There's not much more that I like better than dialog like this. So thanks again to you all for making comments, that provide a means for me to open my mouth, it's the icing on the cake of the entire process for me.

Last edited by RFJ; 28-08-2015 at 03:53 AM..

------------------
Old 28-08-2015, 03:59 AM   #17
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 181010
Thanked 3,620 Times in 2,700 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
..I'll give it one more shot here over the weekend to see what happens though and if it decides to resurrect itself I'll upload a revision just for you.
Can you post it up here to this thread, as I'd love to get my hands on a copy, too..love this version, but it would be uber cool to have an instrumental version as well to go with it. Likewise on the playing it all day thing..thanks for putting so much into this..it really shows.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 07:17 AM   #18
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744029641
Thanked 7,244 Times in 4,503 Posts

Gave this a listen/dl last night RFJ.
Yeah, solid release. Nice mix and mastering, I'm guessing the noise/hiss is inherent in the samples and you couldn't do anything about that? But it doesn't detract from the overall effect anyway. I'm glad it didn't put you off using them, a lot of uber-sensitive "it's got to be clean" freaks would've missed out on some good samples there.

So the music itself really reminded me of something I can't quite put my finger on at the moment, especially the intro/outro parts.
dat piano...those feels...I've really felt like this before man...the feeling of totally succumbing to the inevitability of death...not wanting to bin-off your life and waste it (the guilt in already wasting so much) but really realising that it's going to be over before you know what's happening and how much you'll miss it, (even though that's not possible imo)

So yeah man, what's that now? Number 2? It's been good to watch you come up man, you've really come quite far in the time you've been here.
Well done man, keep up the good work.

Would it be ok to play a section of this on a radio show that I do with a friend?
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 08:45 AM   #19
rewir3d
Anal Leakage SJW 2016

Awe dude, I don't hate the vocals by any means. I think they were very well crafted and manipulated. Just for the style of progression this piece/movement has I would love it to be a full on instrumental without them detracting from the awesome musicality is all. Either way I gave this a third full listen which is a rare thing for me from music off this forum. I love what you have done here, the emotions this evokes is off the charts as it progresses.
Old 28-08-2015, 09:50 AM   #20
Roo Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistAdministrator
Roo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42387449
Thanked 5,069 Times in 3,305 Posts

This is great. Quirky and odd, unsettling in places, hopeful in others. Several tunes in one.

Quote:
I gave this a third full listen which is a rare thing for me from music off this forum.

Advertisements

------------------
Roo Stercogburn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote