Sidechain
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Your Music

IDMf Netlabel

The Studio

Community Center

Music By Genre

Groups

Old 10-07-2012, 11:56 PM   #1
FoDriZZlE
Soundwave Mangler
FoDriZZlE will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60
Sidechain?

Is it really necessary to sidechain? Is ti really that big of a deal?

Advertisements

FoDriZZlE is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:16 AM   #2
Cracked World Foundation
Cracked World Foundation is a savage MCCracked World Foundation is a savage MCCracked World Foundation is a savage MCCracked World Foundation is a savage MCCracked World Foundation is a savage MCCracked World Foundation is a savage MCCracked World Foundation is a savage MCCracked World Foundation is a savage MCCracked World Foundation is a savage MCCracked World Foundation is a savage MCCracked World Foundation is a savage MC
London
MC Status: 15135
Re: Sidechain?

I'll assume that you're asking specifically about sidechain compression of a bass or pads using a kick drum as the input. The purpose of this - which is but one specific usage of sidechaining - is to 'duck' bass/pad parts of similar frequency content to the kick. This keeps the mix clear and stops things getting muddy. It can also be used less subtly to get the characteristic 'pumping' sound you hear in so much house music.

Is it a big deal? The last sentence of the previous para should be a clue, but yes. If you're making contemporary house then you really want to understand how sidechaining works. Try searching the forum - there are approximately 5,000,000 threads about this already.

------------------
Cracked World Foundation is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:26 AM   #3
FoDriZZlE
Soundwave Mangler
FoDriZZlE will become famous soon enough
Sidechain

Is it OK, to use a drum loop, with hi hats, claps and kicks... and then sidechain the whole thing? Im pretty sure im talking about sidechain compression here :p im kinda learning it now :s but is it OK? or is it just BAD?
FoDriZZlE is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:34 AM   #4
ParallelEDM
Minor Glitch
ParallelEDM will become famous soon enoughParallelEDM will become famous soon enough
Los Angeles
MC Status: 110
Re: Sidechain

If you're talking about using the drum loop as the sidechain source and triggering compression on the other elements with it, then no, wouldn't recommend it. It's easy to build a "ghost kick" (or it can be a hi hat or something.) that is muted but is what is triggering the sidechain on other elements. That way you can have flexibility and can sidechain compress something without the trigger sound actually being heard.
ParallelEDM is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:32 AM   #5
Evelon
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214324298
Thanked 1,517 Times in 1,049 Posts

However, kick and snare on the key-insert can have a nice/musical/dynamic effect on the hihat (compr).

------------------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OVE6VSgn8o
^ I made a tutorial in which I explained how I went about doing it:
http://idmforums.com/showthread.php?t=109498
Evelon is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:39 PM   #6
Adharma
Analog Lurker
Adharma is a jewel in the roughAdharma is a jewel in the roughAdharma is a jewel in the roughAdharma is a jewel in the rough
Lawrence, KS
MC Status: 310

I'm glad somebody else asked this question, I was wondering myself. I'm just getting started with learning about some of these production techniques.

------------------
Adharma is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:40 PM   #7
ghyt
ghyt is a savage MCghyt is a savage MCghyt is a savage MCghyt is a savage MCghyt is a savage MCghyt is a savage MCghyt is a savage MCghyt is a savage MCghyt is a savage MCghyt is a savage MCghyt is a savage MC
Edmontontontontonton
MC Status: 471630951
Thanked 1,632 Times in 1,205 Posts

nothing is okay.

nothing is ever okay.

how could anything ever be okay.

------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stercogburn View Post
We are all ghyt's children.
http://www.soundcloud.com/vxnervegass
ghyt is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:37 PM   #8
YoMyEX
Eternal Echoer
YoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MC
Miami Beach, FL
MC Status: 4315538

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghyt wembpang View Post
nothing is okay.

nothing is ever okay.

how could anything ever be okay.
My thoughts exactly lol

OP, there is no audio god watching over you, making sure you do everything absolutely "right" with your productions. That decision is up to you. Try it. Test it out. Do you like it? Then do it

------------------
YoMyEX is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:30 AM   #9
juabelhernandez
Radial Developer
juabelhernandez has a spectacular aura aboutjuabelhernandez has a spectacular aura about
New Jersey
MC Status: 160

how do you make a ghost side chain...i heard it wasnt good to send all instruments to the kick as a side chain???
juabelhernandez is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:18 PM   #10
arm23
Soundwave Mangler
arm23 is a splendid one to beholdarm23 is a splendid one to beholdarm23 is a splendid one to beholdarm23 is a splendid one to beholdarm23 is a splendid one to beholdarm23 is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 660
Re: Sidechain?

In almost every track I produce I use Sidechain. Sometimes it is for pads, sometimes for bass or sometimes just for fx.
arm23 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:27 PM   #11
TNT1325
Analog Lurker
TNT1325 is on a distinguished road
MC Status: 10

Yeah there're a bunch of interesting uses for sidechaining, just takes a while to learn how and when to use it.
TNT1325 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:50 PM   #12
arm23
Soundwave Mangler
arm23 is a splendid one to beholdarm23 is a splendid one to beholdarm23 is a splendid one to beholdarm23 is a splendid one to beholdarm23 is a splendid one to beholdarm23 is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 660

yeah, it depends
arm23 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:18 AM   #13
juabelhernandez
Radial Developer
juabelhernandez has a spectacular aura aboutjuabelhernandez has a spectacular aura about
New Jersey
MC Status: 160

i heard it wasnt good to send everything to one sidechain...well deadmaus said it on one of his youtube stream shows
juabelhernandez is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:37 PM   #14
eliavtadmor
Regular Freak
eliavtadmor is on a distinguished road
MC Status: 10

sidechain give you music more groove , its gettong more punchy, more danceable ...
sidecahin is a bigadeal....
eliavtadmor is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:25 PM   #15
SomaaaMusic
Learning The Ropes
SomaaaMusic will become famous soon enough
Tennessee
Icon7 Re: Sidechain

This is from an Electro/progressive house standpoint.

Sidechaining is Super important. It will allow the kick to come forward and not be drowned out by overbearing bass frequencies. Both drums and low end bass synths share many frequencies so when they are played together it makes your mix sound muddy at times. (This should also be fixed with EQing too)

I create a track that is made of only kicks on time with my song and is muted. It goes through the entire song and everything that is set to side chain is triggered from this sound. It is bad if you set the side chain to trigger from your whole drum section. It will make everything constantly trigger when you really don't want it to.

It takes a lot of practice to learn how to sidechain properly. Songs I've made 4 years ago sound horrible to me because I found I had too much attack and to little decay on my side chaining.

Take the time to learn how to properly sidechain and try out different parameters in your DAW.

I've heard some amazing songs with great potential sound horrible because there was too little or no sidechaining.

I even think in dubstep its important to have at least a little sidechaining to make the kicks and snares come through

Advertisements

SomaaaMusic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote