IDMf - Electronic Music & Production Forum - IDMforums.com - View Single Post - [EDM] Chords?
Thread: [EDM] Chords?
View Single Post
Old 26-06-2015, 01:42 PM   #10
ILikeHorses
Granular Poster
ILikeHorses is a splendid one to beholdILikeHorses is a splendid one to beholdILikeHorses is a splendid one to beholdILikeHorses is a splendid one to beholdILikeHorses is a splendid one to beholdILikeHorses is a splendid one to beholdILikeHorses is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 810
Re: [EDM] Chords?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birtan Tankir View Post
Hey guys, i need an opinion, i have noticed my tracks are lacking that 'background' sound whilst the drop is going.. i find it awkward listening to the drop and its just dead quiet in the back ground..

How would you go about making chords for a drop? or adding more depth to it?!

If that makes sense?

For example if you listen to martin garrix - animals, when it kicks in the back ground is dead quiet.
though if you listen to reload - sebastian ingrosso, when it kicks in it sounds more deep!

Thank you
Both tracks are very busy before the drop. so taking out elements like in animals makes the "hollow" effect work well, like all other big room drops.
Now if you want a drop more "Full" of content. remember that the buildup can't be louder than the drop, and try not having lots of elements in the low end of the spectrum like basses, Sub basses, Un-eq'ed FX, loud white noise, etc. Chords will not make a drop sound "bigger" if that's what you want. It all comes with the whole composition BEFORE it. the drop is the climax of your track, everything else is a slave to it. do good transitions between sections, choose your sounds carefully, eq them well. now about making Chords i'd suggest you learning Scales first. is all there man, once you learn what keys can play with each other without sounding strange, you'll pull out chords very easy. but a trick i used when i didn't knew theory was to give 3-4 keys of space between each note and having the top note playing one octave lower aswell to make a "bass" to the chord. Play around with it and you'll get how chords work. but if you music lacks "depth", chords ain't the only thing that will help.

btw the ingrosso track has some Sidechained pads and synth playing chords, with a legato lead probably layered. layering things do a good job. just remember to mix everything as one element. Also, sidechain your stuff to the kicks. that works too. hope this help. if not well i tried.
ILikeHorses is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote