IDMf - Electronic Music & Production Forum - IDMforums.com - View Single Post - [EDM] Chords?
Thread: [EDM] Chords?
View Single Post
Old 16-05-2014, 03:32 PM   #2
professurreal
IDMf Artist
professurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MC
at the end of the tunnel
MC Status: 59310
Thanked 1,186 Times in 789 Posts
Re: [EDM] Chords?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birtan Tankir View Post
Hey guys, i need an opinion, i have noticed my tracks are lacking that 'background' sound whilst the drop is going.. i find it awkward listening to the drop and its just dead quiet in the back ground..

How would you go about making chords for a drop? or adding more depth to it?!

If that makes sense?

For example if you listen to martin garrix - animals, when it kicks in the back ground is dead quiet.
though if you listen to reload - sebastian ingrosso, when it kicks in it sounds more deep!

Thank you
I listened to the sebastian ingrosso track up until the first drop and wow what a horribly cheesy track (just not my taste so don't take this personally). But anyway, to me it just sounds like loads of sidechained white noise in the background... He uses the white noise for the build up and then just sustains it but sidechains it to some elements in the track, probably the kick but I only listened to it once so I'll let you figure out the details.

Just take some white noise (sample or synth), stick a low pass filter on it with the cutoff slowly rising until the drop and sidechain the whole thing to the kick using a compressor...

Other than the main synthy saw lead sound (someone correct me if I'm wrong) I don't really hear any chords... Obviously noone will be able to tell you which chords to use exactly because it depends on your track but things like major 7th chords sound very happy/euphoric so something like that might work in whichever key you are working in. I'm not very good at music theory though so you'll have to play around a bit yourself...

If anyone disagrees with me here feel free to correct me

------------------
professurreal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote