IDMf - Electronic Music & Production Forum - IDMforums.com - View Single Post - software ways of getting old hardware artifacts
View Single Post
Old 24-08-2016, 10:30 PM   #2
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 29010
Re: software ways of getting old hardware artifacts

Nice.

I've put a tremendous amount of time and effort into emulating analog characteristics in the box, with mixed results. A long time ago, arrived at the conclusion that the best way to do it is to create many many layers of subtle effects stuff.

If I'm going for an organic subtle sound, I'll usually be extremely delicate with each layer of fx. I"ll get the sound I want from each plugin, and then back it off til it's barely audible. The idea is to have as many layers as possible, each one just pushing the sound a tiny bit in a positive direction.

For this reason, I like to start with sounds that are very crisp and up front sounding, as they will likely get muddled along the way. So a lot of time i'll start with synths that don't sound analog at all, like Harmor for instnace.

In general, just tiny bits of saturation, compression, very subtle modulation effects, very subtle delay, bit crushing, whatever. Frequently I will eq in between layers, getting rid of things I don't like or giving broad boosts to qualities I do like.

But I will end with this: After years of doing this, I've come to the conclusion that if you want analog, go analog. I always used to think of analog as imperfect. But now I actually think of it as sounding more perfect than digital. The stuff that digital has trouble with, like saturation and modulation, always ends up being an approximation. My old ms-20 has shown me this. The U-he one sounds good, but at the end of the day, it just seems like a plastic model of the real thing.

So, I embrace digital for what it is more nowadays. And usually end up using digital stuff for weird additive and wavetable synthesis.

------------------
mnkvolcno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to mnkvolcno
chasedobson (24-08-2016)