IDMf - Electronic Music & Production Forum - IDMforums.com - View Single Post - software ways of getting old hardware artifacts
View Single Post
Old 24-08-2016, 09:31 PM   #1
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1540577
Thanked 2,047 Times in 1,311 Posts
software ways of getting old hardware artifacts

I thought I would post this in this subforum because a lot of the music leading up to current Industrial will rely on some of these artifacts as aesthetic points.

Would be cool to see a tips and tricks thread happen as a result, I'll start.

Drums:

Emulating late 80's and early 90's synth pop and industrial drums... its taken me a bit to get it down, but I've found that sticking with Ableton's Drum Racks and a comprehensive set of samples is the way to go, if you're not Ableton based, than a drum sampler like Battery... or shit, any sampler will do the trick, you just want to make sure that you can re-pitch the drums and that your re-pitching is the old school either speed up or slow down method to re-pitch the sample.

I tend to build a drum racks based on need in a particular tune, but go to drum machines that have been staples for the era I'm looking to emulate, LinnDrum, Yamaha RX5, Tr707, Alesis Sr16... basically anything that has shitty samples of acoustic drums to work with.

Using a bit crusher per drum sample to bring the hits down to 12 or 8 bit can add character, especially if you are detuning the hits. better yet, create a sample bank of those same drum samples rendered down to 12 or 8 bit to save the hassle down the line.

in my experience the trick to making these old drum machine samples sound big and heavy is to treat each instrument as one would a mixer channel for mixing down an acoustic drum kit. My kick, snare and tom channels all get an EQ and compressor to find and enhance the punchy areas while trimming back the bits that create mud.

subgrouping all of your drum channels and then putting either a full or multiband comp on them will help them gel a bit and dont forget to add a bit of room reverb to make them sound as if they are in the same space, i like reverb plugins than have the option to set to hi or lo fidelity for consumption of resources and set them to low to get a real gritty verb like one might get from a shitty rack fx verb.

so yeah, thats my trick for shitty old industrial drums...

who is next????

Advertisements

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote