IDMf - Electronic Music & Production Forum - IDMforums.com

IDMf - Electronic Music & Production Forum - IDMforums.com (http://www.idmforums.com/index.php)
-   The Side Room (http://www.idmforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   What ya'll been up to (http://www.idmforums.com/showthread.php?t=147946)

Lug 30-08-2017 08:32 PM

What ya'll been up to

Sometimes I'm curious to hear from the peeps hanging on the idmfs other than what pisses them off or what movies they seen and had an opinion about. So if you care to write a few sentences, that'd be cool.

As for myself, it's been a pretty busy year. After thinking of moving away and maybe live in the US, I was offered a job in a bookstore/DVD shop next to a theater here in Paris. I came in full of ambition but it was crushed like Pratchett's hard-drive when they hired some dumbass chick from retail to give us hints on how to run a successful shop (e.g. throw the books in the bin). But anyhow I'm still learning a lot on the job, and there's a lot of benefits (like free dvds and shit).
Around the same time I moved in a new place which is a fucking dream flat in a quiet higher-class part of Paris. I bought myself a digital piano which makes me happy everyday of the week, although I can't say I've been composing any music for years now.
So, things are looking OK so far.
I smelled the autumn in the air today and it made me happy, and then I had a walk in one of the biggest parks in town and I heard a dude practising his didgeridoo.

Peace to anyone reading this

relic 30-08-2017 08:50 PM

Re: What ya'll been up to

@Lug sounds like things are going pretty well for you. Good to hear!

Autumn is coming here as well and enjoying it/looking forward to it.

This weekend we are having a family BBQ. It is the first time my partner's family will meet my family even though we have been together for like 8 years now. Its weird it just never came up before. We have a small house so its hard for us to host more than 4-6 people. We have 14 + us coming (YIKES). I'm making pitchers of a lemonade and blueberry vodka cocktail, hopefully that will keep the savages at bay! We will have tents up outside, but looks like there may be rain.

I finally escaped from teaching the really depressing/weird night classes at the one Uni I teach at. I've got two morning/afternoonish class this semester and it already feels way more like what I'm used to at the school I prefer teaching at (a different Uni). But the one course is "condensed" so we have class for almost two hours, then immediately after that I teach the same class uncondendsed (only 50 minutes long). Its already been hard remembering not to over schedule stuff.

The leather shop has had a couple shitty years in a row. The only people that care about motorcycles where we are, are poor white trash (sorry, not sorry). I'm afraid the store will close. I can't imagine finding another retail job where they were will work around my teaching pretty much not matter what and then give me full time for four months in the summer. I'd also loose my health insurance, which they currently pay 100% of (that was my raise this year).

Overall had an awesome summer. Went to two festivals (Detroit Electronic Music Festival was one), a couple big shows (Dieselboy and Die Antwoord...not same show lol). Had quite a party this summer and surprisingly finding it quite easy to slip back into responsible teacher mode.

Also we adopted a new adult cat four months ago and two kittens (all from a shelter).

Vault O))) 30-08-2017 08:51 PM

Dying a slow and painful life / living a slow and painful death

Lug 30-08-2017 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vault O))) (Post 1457624)
Dying a slow and painful life / living a slow and painful death

I know that feeling. As much as I need to be with myself, I've found that connecting with people of my close circle does something like reassure me about who I am and how I think.

Lug 30-08-2017 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by relic (Post 1457623)
Overall had an awesome summer. Went to two festivals (Detroit Electronic Music Festival was one), a couple big shows (Dieselboy and Die Antwoord...not same show lol). Had quite a party this summer and surprisingly finding it quite easy to slip back into responsible teacher mode.

Thanks for reminding me about going to shows; these are rare here when you stay in town during august. But september's coming and I already noticed a few events I want to catch.

Sorry to hear about the leather shop being on the decline. I feel it's the kind of thing you don't have any kind of power over.
I would be nervous as shit planning 14+ people at my place. Hope you have a good time. I would have one of those pitchers all to myself.

deadmau7 31-08-2017 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by relic (Post 1457623)
It is the first time my partner's family will meet my family even though we have been together for like 8 years now.

Including parents?

Numerical 01-09-2017 12:59 AM

Been on a huge Iron Maiden kick lately. Just old school heavy metal in general. It's kinda cool. I feel like so much new music is just flat and lifeless these days. Been thinking about trying to find an old school tape recording unit of some kind and doing up some classic tunes.

Much of the pressure that I felt months ago from doing mixing jobs and trying to write songs was killing my mojo. I worked to hard for too little so now I've kinda stopped mixing music for other people and just doing it as more a casual hobby type thing and it's making it more fun.

White Noise 01-09-2017 04:07 AM

Found work that I actually went to school for in April. I'm a temporary accountant. First job kinda sucked ass, but I learned a lot, that lasted til July. Then I went on a cruise to Mexico, didn't get off the boat because it just looked like LA tbh, but I found out I'm not as afraid of boats or of heights as I thought I was. Got a new job 10 minutes from my parents' place (who I now pay rent to, in addition to getting ahead on my loans with the money from my work). It's freed up about two hours a day for me. I get more sleep and do more music (6 songs in 6 weeks!). I don't really know what's next, just trying to keep learning, get better at work, music, health, socializing... really getting the most I can out of every day while I value that sort of thing and before I get all jaded and just give up and get a good seat for the earth burning.

Oh, speaking of health, was actually measurably the healthiest I've been in my life earlier this year, and I'm on a new insulin to help treat my type-1 diabetes. I'm better about making it a point to work out too. So, continuing to get better at that. I dunno, I'm kinda into the idea of sculpture/architecture/playing with shapes in 3-D space now too. I think about aerodynamics (which I guess could be called fluid dynamics...) and doodle cars sometimes. I was reading more for a bit, but that time has mysteriously evaporated since I got my new job.

lolirl 01-09-2017 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by White Noise (Post 1457714)
Then I went on a cruise to Mexico, didn't get off the boat because it just looked like LA tbh.

:facepalm: :lol: :facepalm: :trump:

Jaded 01-09-2017 02:06 PM

^ :lol:

I've been great. I started a new role this week. Gone from startup hopping and agency roles to working for a corporate internal project. I've also gone from doing more full stack lead development to pure front end. Got two junior developers to train up and the project lead is a machine. Getting a max specced laptop with Arch Linux so I'm pretty happy about that.

I'm flying to NZ for the next week for work which is cool as my parents are OS and it's my birthday so I was a bit down. But now I'll be on my own in a place I've never been so it's awesome! Then today, one of my old colleagues from back in the day at RMIT is living in Auckland now so I'm going to meet her husband and kids while I'm there. Haven't seen her for ten years :)

I met an awesome woman briefly at a social gathering recently. Turns out our birthdays are four days apart and it's her thirtieth. I couldn't stay long so I asked her if I could take her somewhere special to celebrate when I get back and she said yes. We've been in touch every day since and really clicked. So much that we've already planned another three dates.

So yeah, been working super hard these last three or four years and it's starting to come together which is nice. Good to see some other positive vibes out in IDMfland.

candlesayshi 01-09-2017 06:42 PM

Is it weird to say "mostly music"? It seems weird in this context. A while ago I got a digital piano and it's been one of the largest boons to my songwriting that I've had in a long time. I don't know why writing in the sequencer has been such a block for me for a while. Especially being that I've done it a lot in the past, but sitting down at the piano to write has been extremely fruitful. In fact, the past couple times I've ended up with two pieces for what I write because I end up writing a piece and transferring it into the sequencer as an electronic track. Then, there ends up being other things I want to explore with the same ideas. So, I end up writing a kind of "post-classical" piece exploring those ideas. Aside from that, for fun I've also been working on a kind of minimalistic goth-inspired rock project. Might make an EP or something out of that stuff.

In non-music things, after years of living by one side of Chinatown and working by the other, I decided to start learning how to speak Chinese. Which is actually going better than I thought it would. Somewhat unfortunately a big portion of people from Chinatown speak the Cantonese dialect rather than the Chinese I'm learning, but I've been sticking with it anyway, as it's been pretty useful nonetheless even so far, and I still end up meeting plenty of people (especially tourists) that don't speak English very well, but speak Standard Chinese.

Lug 02-09-2017 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by candlesayshi (Post 1457742)
A while ago I got a digital piano and it's been one of the largest boons to my songwriting that I've had in a long time. I don't know why writing in the sequencer has been such a block for me for a while. Especially being that I've done it a lot in the past, but sitting down at the piano to write has been extremely fruitful.

As much as I like creating sounds and the "solving problems" aspect of composing or electronic music making in general, being able to just sit down at my piano and play for thirty minutes before going to work has been incredibly beneficial. I love the directness of the harmonic ideas I get on this instrument. And even just playing scores. Like you said, it's very stimulating.

Congrats on the Chinese. I made a good friend from Ukraine last year and I sometimes try to speak Russian with her. She enjoys talking about the culture and the Soviet era and she's showed me a lot of children's shows and told me about popular songs etc. It's made it a million times more interesting than learning grammar in college

pundit 07-09-2017 04:01 AM

Been advertising and promoting my art and music on Google +.
Also been doing this on twitter and facebook.

Lug 08-09-2017 07:19 AM

is anybody still on google+ ? anyway, promote away you little spammer. If it don't get people to love you, maybe it'll convince yourself

deadmau7 08-09-2017 09:42 AM

Heard of Google+ but I presumed people always ignored it.

bbb 08-09-2017 03:28 PM

There are too many networks to join as it is for me to get into google+. Plus, it wouldn't even replace the other stuff so meh...

Since I was last active here, I've gotten engaged, taken some trips around the country with the miss. Sometimes airfare can be very cheap with planning. Then, I got married in April and now we are looking at buying a home, the housing market is a tad pricey here. But should be able to find something eventually.

Othat than that, work work work. Well because I haven't been really making any finished music for a long time,. I've been gaming more in my spare time. But because of multiple started failures, in finding some new creativity by recycling parts list etc. I am having fun again even with the failures. My studio area is pretty shit at the moment. Nothing is really hooked up so I'll be looking into fixing that little issue. The clutter has been meh, definitely.

Anyway, cheers everyone. Looking forward to getting back to being active-ish here. :drinks:

Daggit 14-09-2017 02:18 PM

I am currently deep into rebuilding my computer DAW on Linux, yet using Windows VST(i)'s, mostly freewares.

I am trying a slightly different technique than I used to.
This time, I'm doing more customizations, more optimizations, and skipping those files that I don't ever use. I'm also using only up to date softwares, instead of what comes with the Ubuntu Studio distro and Wine.

So far it's working out great.
The downside is that certain Windows programs don't work in Linux/Wine, such as MultitrackStudio Pro Plus, my favorite DAW.

The upside is that MIDI and my graphics card seem to run better on Linux, probably because the kernel and drivers are newer. Also, I like the customizations and learning new things. Of course, Linux is freeware so that's appealing too. And I'm not giving up on all the great Windows softwares that I've grown up with.

Next month, when I have some spare money again, I'm going to probably buy a portable field recorder.
I used to have one, and I miss it. (I pawned it when I was really dirt poor).

I have some nice ideas of wierd sounds to record and mix together.
This time around, I'm better at processing WAVs too.

Also in a few months, I'm going to buy a flatbed scanner so I can continue doing digital multimedia artwork.

Ovacean 22-09-2017 04:12 PM

5 months ago we uprooted and moved from Alabama to Las Vegas. Were supposed to move here with some people and basically be their live-in film crew. After packing all our equipment up in a U-Box to ship here. They basically tell us to go fuck ourselves.... So instead of staying, we (my girlfriend and I) said fuck it and just left town for Vegas. Took like four days to travel from east coast to west coast. We stopped and took in the sites along the way. Got to vegas, posted up in an extended stay for like 3 months. And got approved for an apartment. Just moved into the apartment. So now I literally wake up, walk into my studio room, and work on music until the sun goes down or i fall asleep at my desk.

I say all that like it was effortless. this shit has been a fucking struggle. The money we used to get our extended stay apartment was supposed to be for the u-box full of equipment we shipped here. But until I save up the 1600 to get it out, im here... with my laptop, my maschine, and this 30 dollar interface i got off amazon. I miss my keyboard, i miss my turntables, I miss djing...

But I would rather struggle here and have way more opportunity than to stay "back home" and watch everything go to shit. All the clubs I dj'd at were shutting down or had already shut down. Meh. The music is literally keeping my sanity in tact.

relic 22-09-2017 04:24 PM

^That's a crazy story. Very brave/bold move. I hope it works out for you. I'm not very familiar with Alabama and don't want to make assumptions, but it seems Nevada and Vegas in particular would be much more fertile ground for a DJ/musician. Best of luck to you! The few people I've known who moved to Vegas love it there.

I don't know if I'd like Vegas, but I love New Mexico and Arizona. Life moves at a pace closer to my own in the desert. And I'll take a dry, over 100 degrees to 90 degrees and 90% humidity anyday...

Ovacean 22-09-2017 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by relic (Post 1459559)
I'll take a dry, over 100 degrees to 90 degrees and 90% humidity anyday...

lmao this is spot on. its finally started to cool down here. last month it was constantly 100+ degrees... AT ALL TIMES hahah.

but yes. id rather kick it in the dry heat than walk outside and sweat gallons before I even get to my car.

...and yeah, it's been a crazy ride... but worth it. I love it here, not because of the 24/7 party life though. We rarely ever hit the strip unless we're THAT bored. Or I've been in this room for days on end and just need to get outta here (last night, lmao).

And no assumptions needed. It's a crab barrel back home. Pretty much every club or venue I dj'd at has either shut down or just stopped doing things. I had a residency at a hookah bar and since i've left, I haven't really seen a lot going on there :/