IDMf - Electronic Music & Production Forum - IDMforums.com

IDMf - Electronic Music & Production Forum - IDMforums.com (http://www.idmforums.com/index.php)
-   Modular software & programming (http://www.idmforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   How to make VST/AU? (http://www.idmforums.com/showthread.php?t=112926)

Dugg Funnie 04-10-2012 11:23 PM

How to make VST/AU?

Yo IDMf,

I'm thinking about getting into VST creation and development, was wondering if you guys had any input to offer as to how to get started. The questions I have so far are as follows:

What programing language or languages are most commonly used to make VST plug-ins (Java, Pd, C++, etc...)
Where could I learn more about the programming skills I would specifically need for this endeavour?
if I were to start making some serious plug-ins how could I go about making visually appealing GUI's/does anybody know good resources or even independent artists who can do that sort of thing
And lastly if I were to start doing this would people here be willing to help me out with beta testing and feedback to help me improve my product?

scyn 05-10-2012 06:19 AM

Re: How to make VST/AU?

There was a very brief discussion [Only registered and activated mad cunts can see links. Click Here To Register...] fwiw.

penguinoid 18-10-2012 07:03 AM

I think primarily people tend to code in C++, as most of the Steinberg SDK seems to be C++ based. Probably the safest bet.

I/O_Madness 18-10-2012 10:14 PM

[Only registered and activated mad cunts can see links. Click Here To Register...]

DIrtySinatra 31-10-2012 12:05 PM

Synth Maker is pretty good to get an understanding how synthesizers work.. Just remember that if your trying to make a synth for commercial use your up against 1000s of others plus 10,000s of others who are letting them out for free.. If you are going to go down this route, make sure its for yourself.. I get the feeling your grasp of synthesis isn't the best because there's almost nothing the top 5-10 digital synths cant do out there..

Also you can expect to be writing in excess of 000s lines of code, let alone designing wave tables, modular algorithms, design and playability etc.. If you feel up to it I would love to give you support.. CSound is an audio language.. Have a look..

Dugg Funnie 31-10-2012 05:34 PM

I'm looking more at working more in creating effects/filters than specifically synthesizers. I'm well aware of the inherent power of synths, I have just have some, in my opinion, unique ideas for plug-ins and I'm planning to try and build a business around them. And I'm learning C and CSound because I think it'll be the easiest way for me to port to VST and AU.

Plus one of my professors at Berklee was Richard Boulanger, the guy who wrote the CSound Book so I think that could definitely prove beneficial in terms of makin this happen.

Thanks for the support either way, if I have questions I'll definitely send 'em your way too, I fully expect this isn't going to just be some weekend DIY project and I'm in it for the long-haul!!!!!1!

mibix 03-11-2012 01:51 PM

I recommend [Only registered and activated mad cunts can see links. Click Here To Register...] for the framework. It's in C++ but can compile VST, AU, Standalone, RTAS etc from the same source code. There is a cost to releasing a commercial synth. If you don't want to pay any fees it would probably be the vstsdk route.

Dugg Funnie 03-11-2012 02:02 PM

Is that the SDK specifically from Steinberg? And big up on JUCE, definitely going to look into that. I think I'm going to be doing the programming in CSound and maybe regular C++, any idea on which would be the most efficient way? I know with CSound you can port straight to AU and I believe VST as well, but I'm not totally sure.

Lowbass 03-11-2012 04:58 PM

interesting

[Complex] 23-12-2012 05:29 PM

I think C++ is the best way, also is important to know well this languaje before attempting to make a VST synth

Maybe other good option is Java:rolleyes:

AdamThing 24-04-2016 03:53 PM

im learning C++. i have an audio programming book id like to master. once i figure that out im going to use the steinberg SDK and ill be set to go. also im going to throw asio programming in there.

mute machine 10-05-2016 05:29 PM

I use synthedit cause I'm a pleb.

stray medicine 30-08-2016 11:13 PM

There's a way to create MIDI applications using Unity, if anyone is interested. I figured out how to get MIDI input using this awesome package from Kejiro Takahashi that's free

[Only registered and activated mad cunts can see links. Click Here To Register...]

Using Unity would probably be a lot easier than just diving into scripting a vst on your own. This is something I really want to do, there are a few ideas I have for midi applications that I think could be created easily through Unity. If I do get around to making some I'll post em on here.