The philosophy thread (reminder philosophy is not politics nor conspiracy theories)

That’s the point… isn’t it! Also… by “acceptance” I mean accepting that something may in fact be unknowable. Not meant to imply that we should give up… only to acknowledge that possibility.

Love these discussions @psyber… don’t ever change… you are an inspiration! :sunglasses::sparkles:

Hey, sorry for going missing when called upon for a reply to this thread. Im splintered and confused as ever, if not more. However, I am firmly on board with the Chris Langan argument. Things calling themselves out into existence, and then removing themselves later makes no sense to me. What this means for us and a potential afterlife; i dont think it exists in a personal sense, there is probably only a sense of being; and a new place to go to, but without deep yogic practice or something along those lines, it will not be accessible without some kind of control.

Dipping into the nihilistic boat; dualism makes this a weird exercise; What could exist without a mirror around? And then ‘nothing’ is achieved at some point, we are supporting entropy now, great. So are you ok with the universe self-destructing at some point? This technocratic movement is completely anti-human, it serves us in no way imaginable. So i would offer you the chance to make moves for loved ones and family.

Let’s accept the fact we know very little about horoscopes, and they weigh down on all of us.

Lately the books ive been reading has been an effort to challenge or break the paradigms in my head.

Its either break my own paradigms or spend me time watching netflix and whatever streaming service.

I guess it good to challenge yourself by breaking your own paradigms via exploring stuff you dont agree with…like a republican reading democrat leaning stuff…or vice versa. Or a redpill masculinity person reading feminist literature.

Besides Breaking your own paradigm is better than living in an echo chamber of your own farts because that smells like ass.

Couldn’t agree more, both with regard to personal growth and public debate. I think especially with regard to online discussions there is less and less of that happening over the last few years, with people ending up with their half-informed opinions just being reinforced on a daily basis. When I was younger, there was a lot of talk in media sciences about how smaller forums contribute to a better representation of the diversity of public opinion, since different interests have the opportunity to finetune their expression in multiple smaller forums before entering a general open arena - but nowadays it feels more like smaller forums become echo chambers attached to a small number of big megaphones…

also in recent years social media has increased the power of propaganda…making it more effective by manipulating peoples opinions…with facebook and twitter knowingly being a farm for expolitation of personal information…imo i guess the drop off in discussion is due to age/interest…backlash and to protest the whole social media mostly being an exploitative farm as opposed to being a platform for healthy discussion.

What if everyone is a different version of you so that you can experience the world in different ways.

And the true self is nothing more than a collective of various ways of different people being and living in different experiences.

As for the individual ego that just maybe an evolutionary construct to ensure survival.

Sometimes by diminishing the individuals ego it can deepen ones own personal understanding via formulating a new perspective.

I guess being mentally healthy is a balance of individual ego and the other parts of the psyche and the collective self.

No i did not take acid.

I borrowed this from hinduism or is it buddhism a lil bit

Eastern philosophy
I ching
Tao
Sun tzu
Book of the five rings
Buddhism…
The vedas
Etc…

Mid eastern philosophy…
Mostly the quran

Also i keep coming across greco roman and renaissance and enlightement of western europe.

With the exception of jung most Modern european philosophy makes me yawn.

Stoicism…is like a detailed man up.

Idk.

Shrug.

I remember reading the play lysistrata in high school…to be honest i reread it because of metoo…and it makes things even more surreal…because a fictional play written like 3000 to 2000 years ago had some relevance to what was going on in todays society…

I mean yea metoo was somewhat about politics and standing up to being mistreated…idk…

It was just super wierd how an ancient fictional play from a few thousand years ago sorta applied to some of todays politics.

Been reading the we too book about sex workers it does go more in depth than the metoo book…

the metoo book was more like have self respect dont take no shit…

the wetoo book is like this is what we put up with…and this is how we deal with it…and this is why we are the way we are…and because things are this way we should make an effort to be better to each other.

If you read enough of the ancient classics… especially philosophy… you begin to see that the basic motivations and emotional reactions of Humans have not changed.

The Humans that lived 3000 years ago (or 5k, 10k and presumably much further back) were not “primitive.” They were exactly like us. The differences in History and Technology have not changed … not at all… how we feel or how we act on those feelings.

I have read some of them but its a bit throwing to apply ancient fiction to modern day real life experiences unless you have a good context.

If anything the classics can provide a frame of reference to get a deeper understanding for some real life experiences to fill in those gaps…but they arent those experiences…its like a rough paint by numbers guide to get an alternative perspective of things.

But yeah we arent that much evolved from 3000 years ago…

Except now that thanks to hedy lamar we have wifi and uber eats.

Political activism…at what point point does the greater good stop being for the greater good?

To me it stops being for the greater good when you are asked to be the human sacrifice for the sake of the champions of the cause.

This to me is just one individual taking advantage of another. In other words people using others to further their own agenda most often at the expense of others sake.

Our screens have become mirrors that reflect back to us the reflection of another mirror.

A maze of mirrors we are lost within. A labyrinth of lies in which we thrive.

I recognise a desire to play the game, I even move pieces on the board, yet say to myself I play no game.

He who claims to straddle the lines, spectating and speculating on the politics of the borders, also plays the game, yet claims himself not winner nor loser – he is in a stalemate with himself.

We are bound by contract to engage, we are impelled by design to play.

We seek substitute heats, and reinforce ourselves with parts.

Yet who am I to explain the game? Let he who is without sin cast the first stone… yet stones we cast while truth we cast to the bin.

Re examination of my thoughts…in reference to other thoughts ive come across…

Not trying to be like jordan peterson…
And i am less perturbed by current events.

In light of amber heard…and other stuff like harvey weinstein…men complain that women are being assholes and women are embracing being assholes to men because men have been assholes. The whole back and forth shows that some people are forgetting how to adult.

As for the ethics; its easy to hold other people up to a standard where that person falls short; so dont shift blame…this goes for you, me, and others, everyone is accountable for their actions.

And its easy to hold up a mirror and say things should be this way or that way…but that is controlling and goes against individual free will.

look at different schools of thought and youll see they all are biased and have logical flaws…
Examples of those flaws are…Mens rights doesnt usually call out abuses of men…feminism doesnt usually call out abuses of women…if they do i havent seen it.

also the redpill is really just a twisted version of basic psychological principles…and the female dating playbook is like the redpill for women but its just overthinking trying to everything everything in an effort to navigate relationships and to find someone worth having a relationship with.

I get that not everyone has the resources nor has a solid foundation because of their background…even though a lot of people pretend that they do…but these things can be a bit brainwashing because they offer answers to certain things like why people hurt others…but these answers only have a fraction of truth being that most of the time in reality its a two way street.

Look at different schools of thought so that you dont fall into the cult of one school of thought.

I posted this in the philosophy thread cause these things are in regards to social philosophy…in other words it is a philosophy in regards to social life which continuously molds who we are and how we conduct ourselves…and social philosophy is obviously highly subjective so…idk we are inheriting society.

To wear your heart on your sleeve or to not wear your heart on your sleeve?

When someone asks “what do think?” Are they truly curious? Or planning an attack?

This place is a museum of masks,

Where the faceless comedian basks.

O’ never-ending brink of a fractal forgotten,

The fool I am to think it mantle at the bottom.

In this receding horizon of boundless depth,

Lies a deceiving tyrant and countess of death.

In the mirror image of a mirror is found a regress,

An infinite carriage hither to a groundless ingress.

In sooth I shall know no truth, nor of, myself;

For truth halt know nowt below its lonely self.

O’, my fellow fleshly labyrinthine infidel,

Woe to echo a deathly hallowe’en knell.

Social conformity at the risk of individuality…

Also Collectivism is the best defense for protecting individual freedoms…

So

Minor paradoxes of irony.

Right so did Anyone see episode 2 of this seasons rick and morty…lol

A hungry mans religion is food…

Nietzsche

The will to power first stated in thus spoke zarathustra and later a book of notes that was edited by his sister.

The will to power…i think may be something along the lines of you being able to make your own reality through determination and consistent personal effort…in lamence terms…not sure though

Also his idea that there is no good and evil in a traditional sense and that there is only good and bad in the sense of what is beneficial.

And that there are the morality of subjects and the morality of the rulers.

I have not examined nietzsches ideas in depth but from the little that i do know his ideas may in a psychological context define sociopathy…to some degree…

At least in regards to ethics and morality.

Also his idea of eternal recurrance is particularly wierd and different.

I dont agree with some of nietzsches ideas cause they are a bit too detached…so yeah…