The Movie Thread

Yeah, but thinking about it a bit, I grew up on a healthy mixture of punk/rock/metal and country, my parents put the down payment on our house by selling a muscle car they’d built, my dad did the whole long-hair thing, I’d help him pick out skull-themed jewelry for my mom. So a movie where the good guy goes to metal clubs and drives a muscle car and gets the goth (?) girl was pretty much going to be an instant win for me.

I do really dig the James Bond stuff (and the competing franchises) just because they make a great time capsule. Like, they always use the hottest cars of the day, some of the best actors, the most exotic perceived locations, the highest fashion. It’s really cool to see what actually was considered the hotness in the 90s rather than our modern recollection of it.

If you like Bond et al, definitely check out the Kingsman movies.

Loved the first one. Second one didn’t really do it for me.

Aye, first Kingsman is great. Also one of the best themes ever. I fell in love with Henry Jackman for this. Nailed the hero movie style of music.

Second, not so much. I do feel Julianne Moore nailed her part even though she took a lot of flak for it. Suzie Homemaker on Destroy-The-World acid. They also should have just left someone dead. What they did with Roxy was as bad as the choice regarding Hicks and Newt in Alien 3. You can regard it as brave if you love the people who made that choice but basically it was stupid.

First film was death-to-tropes, second just said it was ok to do the tropes. I’m looking forward to the prequel mostly because the cast are on my A-List nerdy.

I can feel you on the 2nd being not as good as the first…but I am generally not terribly critical of films, so when people bring up (perfectly valid) points like you just did, I think: Man, I need to pay better attention. :stuck_out_tongue:

That said, and this is not a movie, but to illustrate my ability to be gleefully ignorant of even fairly glaring issues in media, the missus and I are watching Swamp Thing on Prime and half way into the first episode she goes “now I know what pisses me off! None of them have Louisiana accents!” She is not wrong. I wonder how long I would have taken to really have noticed on my own. :smiley:

Haha I’m probably as bad at regional US accents as a lot of people are with regional British accents, I would never have noticed prolly unless someone showed me a Louisiana denizen side by side with someone else.

Hap And Leanord swamp noir was in Louisiana wasn’t it? Loved that programme so much.

Not sure on that Hap thing, i will have to check it out. the really embarrassing thing about Swamp Thing is that I am American, and I have been to Louisiana, so I aught to have picked up on that right away. I guess my willing suspension of disbelief is a strong force indeed.

Swamp Thing is on my to-do list, as is a lot of the non-CW DC stuff like Doom Patrol and Pennyworth, when I can get them without having to sub to yet another effing streaming service :smiley:

Going back to movies, started to re–re-re-re-(etc)-watch Aliens the other day, didn’t quite get around to finishing it. Love that film.

I would be interested in your take on the later installments of that series. I was not mature enough to appreciate the first 3 when they came out, but I love them now. The last 2 were cool, but they did not leave me wanting to watch them again real soon.

Also, they need to bring out an Alien vs Judge Dredd movie. I would watch that.

Rumors of black superman (kalel) movie…ppl are mad cause they want restoration of the snyderverse…

I’m liek why not both.

Its an interesting situation. WB want to do Snyderverse but the company that owns WB just wants to put out DC content as they are in the business of making money. So just like in Lucasfilm we have a couple of factions snarling and fighting with each other and ultimately the viewer gets poorer quality content because of it.

I just watched The Gentlemen, 2019 and The Little Things, 2021 .

The first was directed by Guy Ritchie, and the second features singer Jared Leto.

Pokemon Detective Pikachu

I know right? :smiley:

Not great but way better than it should have been. Basically Ryan Reynolds voicing Pikachu is Deadpool without the swearing and killing. So when Pikachu is on-screen the film is a heap of fun, when he’s not, its meh. Fortunately he’s on-screen for most of the time. There are some genuinely great lines here and there.

Godzilla Vs Kong Vs OMFGSOMUCHNEON!

Sooo much neon. FX are actually pretty decent. Maybe WB should be getting WETA to do the DC stuff :smiley:
(I’ve not checked who does the DC stuff but its always ropey as feck. I’d giggle if it turned out to be WETA.)

Pretty rubbish if you care about human interaction but we’re here to see big-as-fuck monsters pounding the shit out of each other and pulverising cityscapes. On that level it totally delivers. In the third act there’s a thing that happens that takes the pulverising up a level and is genuinely great to watch.

As usual with these films there’s quite a few wtf things you need to get past. Avoiding spoilers so not saying. But seriously SO MUCH NEON. Its like they wanted to turn Blade Runner up to eleven.

Ruroni kenshin…the live action movie on netflix…

The fight choreography is awesome.
I fast forwarded through all the talking scenes…

For an animu live action adaptation…this has got to be the most plausible, believable and least ridiculous story wise…cause 1800s samurai, martial arts, Japanese industrial revolution…conflicting with the old ways and changing society making the samurai a thing of the past.

Bleach live action good fight scenes but the story is just ridiculous…

Akira has popped up on Netflix. I’ve owned it for years but fuggit, re-watched. Still an absolute classic. Yay Otomo.

The Tomorrow War is an unexpected hoot. More cheese than a supermarket dairy aisle but thoroughly enjoyed and has one of the best designed movie aliens in years. In amongst some hilariously terrible lines some hilariously great lines. Thoroughly enjoyed but not for the lactose intolerant.

Wasnt bad, just the amount of acceptance at the weird shit going on is kinda silly. The entire world would know demons are real based on this movie…except the church keeps it hush hush for some reason.

movieposter_en

Major Grom: Plague Doctor. New Oscars need to be invented just for this film. It is hilariously terrible and still manages some great bits along the way. Worst dubbed film ever. I normally watch foreign language in original language with subs, but subs in this amp it up to 11.

I laughed like a drain in many places and some of it they defo intended. Got some suspicions about a few things but that would get spoilertastic.

I watched Breach with Bruce Willis last night. Easily his worst movie ever, even over Hudson Hawk. Terrible script, terrible acting that’s like a caricature of assholes everywhere and a bad copycat of almost every scary alien creature on a spaceship movie ever.

Watched “Nobody” yesterday. Starts like a dark comedy and becomes, er, a full-on “homage” to 80’s action movies. Imagined Bruce Willis or Stallone would have killed (har har) to star in this if it had existed back in the day. Dumb fun, very entertaining. And of course, Odenkirk rules.