February Album Writing Month 2020

very ambient i dont know what could be added, but i like XI embb very interesting textures…sounds quiet but the mix is good…

all the tracks blend very well together as a whole…but they sound like different parts of the same song…
i hear very similar sounding melodic elements…some of the elements should be resampled…i.e. timestretch pitchshift and then sidechain it or mod the envelopes for each retrigger

my suggestion try incorporate some techniques used to make witch house

Makes me think of 2 of my favourite albums of the early 2000’s . Asian Lounge from 2001 and Asian Vol 2 from 2002. If you haven’t heard them before, they’re well worth a listen.

Started writing lyrics and picked up some new mic cables today, as last time I did vocals I was having cutting out issues. Not sure I’ll be able to pull off the vocals yet, as they’re somewhat verbose, which is a bad habit of mine when writing lyrics, so I may need to slow the track down a tad to start with.

well just collected like 75+ essays to grade, good bye FAWM 2020 for a week or so…

So, dropped the tempo by 6bpm, which gives an extra 2-3 seconds on the verse. That might not seem much, but when you’ve got about 40 words in a verse, 16 seconds is quite a bit more than 13 in the grand scheme of things. Now, I just need to write one more verse to give me 3 in total. Then I need to work out what FX I’m going to use. I usually run to lines out of the pre amp one pretty clean and one the FX. Might have to bust out the Boss SE70 out for that, or fire up the old Zoom RFX 2200, as it’s not been used in ages.

@bfk thanks. I definitely want them conjoined at the hips but I think IV needs something more expressive opposite of even the first one I posted. Maybe I’ll flip the keys to some other element. XI definitely needs some tweaking as I want them all a bit more bass heavy with some side-chaining but for variety I may hold it a bit. And see what other stuffs I can do with it. Think it has the more variety bass-wise out of the 3 though. So… =\

@theteknomage I will surely give it a listen at some point. It’s been hard not listening to stuff outside of this thread because I find myself ruining my mindset for current projects.

Also, I still need to try to catch up but I feel l I’ll ke were all in the same boat, minus @relic actually having to grade people for their content at a grade level. :hugs:

I have this problem a lot of the time, which is one of the reasons I don’t comment in the listening booth that often.

gimme a+ and my gf too, she works really hard on her work ;D

So since I can’t get any honest feedback on El- I mean the other forums I regular, here is some stuff I have to contribute. I’m going to put the most recent track I made today after I got off work which I think is an amalgamation of what I’ve been working toward all month so far… minus the drum and bass. I might add that later. Idk tell me if you think its shit, good, ripoff, uninspired, etc. I need a reality check and just note that the track I put first was a result of a one way rivalry I have with a former coworker slash musician (dubstep {he actually has some chops[not to sound pretentious], he doesn’t know there is a rivalry but it helps me try to improve as an “artist” instead of stagnating in endless loops with no resolve)
anywho
here is my best foot , sorry for rambling
will upload more later (it’s time for daily tasks)

So this is the 5th thing I’ve done since(even just before) Feb.

I did mention that I would revisit old tracks for ideas and what not. And this one is actually originally from my sub to BB100, which I unsubbed back then. I think I rewrote a lot of the instrument parts outside of the percussion/drum stuffs. I did play with the stuff I had there but nothing too crazy. I left the ending in as it was apart of the original idea, which was to have a “gun shot” type sound in. Felt it was futuristic-y and sounded like a warp.

This was originally something started before a friend died. So i tried to keep the same feeling. Very melancholy. Anyway, I think it deserves a spot in my current stuffs. I’d love to hear what you guys think, if you have time.

First link is the new thing:

2nd one should be the “playlist(current total stuff):”

Also, I’m going to spend the rest of the night trying to catch up on the new postings.

EDIT - Additonally - https://soundcloud.com/slomo-mkii/47-c-b/s-bcv2G?in=slomo-mkii/sets/abc/s-TwdRt

I added this to it after the fact. I’ll be adding it to some degree. Some rewrites and meh stuffs.

And by no means take what I say as gospel, recommendation-wise, they’re just more what i’d try.

@TheTeknomage - Neo Tokyo - Restless Dreams - I know you’re doing it all hardware-based but I think the drums are what are holding it back. And i don’t know what or how to respond to that. As a mix of OTB / ITB, I’d do a lot of midi chops or even wav-wise, edits. Layer in more and more, etc. Hardware-wise, I’m sure it’s tough.

I love the rest of it. Has that retro feel to it. Almost a movie sound track or revitalised sound to it. Even if super rigid currently.

@Auto-meh-geddon - Loving it my dude. While repeating it has some variation to it that it really makes sense. Now the one thing I had issue with seems more in place with the rest of the mix. Now you just need 4 or 9-ish more. :wink: Vibe is good. The vocal(your’s?) sounds pretty awesome as well, just want to add.

@bfk - Fawm 3 - please give me some delay. Nah, I’m kidding. The perc stuff at 1:40+ without the kick/snare action going makes me think “what if” you added a normal kick/snare pattern at a reasonable speed. Like not get rid of your stuff, but what if it was right there, what would it sound like? So I’m curious if you want to send me :wink: or if you want to “1/2” time some kick and snare stuffs. Just to see if it would give it a different feel. I think could possibly be neat. But still, do you bud.

@bfk - Fawm Two - I feel like this has some sort of game NES/SNES feel to it. The kick and snare to this actually feels more jointed and reasonable, even with the perc stuff happening at a super fast speed. Maybe the break needs some more action happening? That could be limited by filtering? Not sure.

@bfk - Chewy sexy time - Again, the drums seem more jointed. I’d almost recommend just opening a piano vst and playing some chords or melody stuffs to help give it a bit more sound. But that’s just me, I love keys. Not entirely throughout but almost chorus-like. In and out, up and down.

@bfk - Fawm 4 - Again, the drums seem a bit more organised. I think that simple step of making the kicks and snares a little more decipherable is a plus to what you’re writing. Now that I’m hearing a melody(top end), I’m thinking because you have everything else so exact/neat, you might try slowing this down or playing it by hand? And by no means, take out the gated/repeated stuffs, just layer things over it. Again, I’d presonally enjoy trying to play keys over this. I know we tried me messing with your stuff in the past with no effect but it was interesting to try.

ALso, not sure how you write, entirely. Like any midi at all or all sample-based and edits.

@TheTeknomage - STE - I think this might need some delay on some of the parts. Possibly the less involved parts. Not sure how easy that is for you to do, though. Almost ping pongy? Once everything is going, seems fine. Again, I feel like this is almost soundtrack-y. Definitely have some gamey-feeling stuff going right now.

@bfk - I think this is pretty chill already but some of the upper elements, non-drums, could use some attack/delay elements. If there is a kick/snare going, they seem pretty quiet. Not entirely sure their patterns.

@Gaki - I’m not entirely sure when you made or started this but that’s fine. Just make sure you read/listen through the thread and reciprocate it to some degree, please.

I’m not going to knock the style but the mix of it all sounds fine so far. I’m not the biggest fan of acid sounds but these work inside what you’re writing. I almost feel like you’re writing two tracks and combining them together off the same aspect. Which is totally fine. But you can also just recycle the instrument and re-write the notes. I could be wrong there though.

Overall sound is good. I like a lot of the elements you have going, defintely. Makes me want to listen to Aphex for idea stealing.

EDIT - Apologies if I missed anyone.

Unfortunately I’m not really doing well on the other tracks…

That’s a bit of a thing with me (static drums). I think it’s the QY700 doing the drums on this with 2 reverbs. One plate and one reverse gate. I usually pan the reverbs, but I might not have done on this. Then it’s going through a simple delay on the CDR 70.

Still got quite a bit to do on this, so there will probably be some delay in that.

The track is actually called “Runner”, so if you think of someone being chased on foot through the streets of Neo Tokyo.

Elaborate? :slight_smile:

Just saying that it feels like two songs joined together. Could actually take parts from each side of the break portion and strip out other instruments. Then add new drums to one and vice versa.

So, added some fill ins including the obligatory cheesy E-tom fill. Done some panning and echo, as delay got a bit messy. The track title is; Neo Tokyo Runner.

meh track 5

Intro bassline needs some of the bass notes to be longer to give it more syncopation. Guitar-ish sound needs some fifths (or something suitable) here and there.

Neema nomma when it kicks in lacks variation. While obvious, even some Cutoff/Res automation would give it some dynamics. Doesn’t have to be over the top or totally acid or work up to a drop. Just something.

The tune though… I like a lot. Like really a lot.

Might need you to elaborate a bit more for me. You are talking about the most recent track I posted I assume.

put this in the create today thread…but did some edits and decided to lump it in with my fawm…was going for dnb…but it’s looking more like stuff with edm influences
anyways here